1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Butler

Butler Senior member

I'm sorry, but this is not correct!

One does indicate a dress code on formal invitations (as Foo experienced at the Rubinacci affair) - it is not always enough to know what to wear at the time of the day.For instance an invitation for a Black Tie event in Europe, can specify not only that, but also wheather the ladies should wear short or long dresses (intended level of formality). White Tie in some countries can be specified as "Galla" which means the best of the best (goes for uniforms and Court dress as well) a n d that if you are decorated (awarded an order or medal) the larger version should be worn.

Mind you, nothing snobbish about it - as most of the etiquette rules, they are just a guide that serves a purpose; to secure that nobody feels uncomfortable at the event, by standing out, and that the host's intended level of formality is adhered to - At a Black Tie event for example, the host is actually supposed to change into whatever a guest is wearing if showing up without a Dinner jacket - so he should not feel he is the only one - correct form in the extreme! :bigstar:

2. Big A

Big A Senior member

I'm experiencing the same phenomenon. I feel confused, angry, hurt. Where is the crisis line number when you need it.

2 people like this.
  3. Moloch38

Moloch38 Senior member

FACT.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

:rotflmao: :lol:

Also, +1.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

No concern, unless u r concerned with +1'ing foos post 2 days n running.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

May I see a picture of the finished laces?

And maybe a rundown of how the creation took place!

Update; leffot cannot supply me with silk laces.

7. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

What strain of etiquette endorses ethnic slurs?

8. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Since we are on to dress code, about 20 years ago I was invited to a wedding that stated: North Woods Wedding.... Lumberjack attire. It was the 1990s... everyone was wearing flannel shirts. Even though the dress code was on the invitation. only the groom, the best man and I (photographer) heeded the code. Everyone else was in a suit. The wedding even took place in a log cabin in the woods. We looked like fools in the photos because people did not adhere to the dress code. The bride was pissed. The bodies were never found.

9. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

"Redneck" is an ethnicity now? Does this mean that all bluenecks* must be Finnish?

1 person likes this.
  10. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

That story is similar to a wedding I was at where the dress code was "windswept and interesting". The groom's side took it to mean summery casual and bride's ignored it and turned up in suits. Weird dress codes rarely turn out well.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh, my but you are prickly.

Fitting punishment for having a theme wedding...

1 person likes this.
  12. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Can I assume that most here would have grudgingly given up their proper black tie attire in favor of something like this:

[​IMG]

13. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

How long would someone last around here dropping a similar epithet for homosexuals or African-Americans?

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I put "redneck" at about the same level of offensiveness as "brotha" or "homey," which is to say, not very. So, go with my blessings to refer to African-Americans as either of those here on the forum. :)

1 person likes this.
  15. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Umm, "redneck" doesn't just apply to white people. There are black and Asian hicks, too.

Who's the racist, now?

16. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Don't be absurd. "Redneck" refers to one's lifestyle (and not in the same way as some refer to a "homosexual lifestyle") not their race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation. You know, biological things which are innate, unchangeable characteristics.

Agreed. The term may be offensive to some, but again, it doesn't hit at nearly the level of slurs related to one's biological characteristics. Socioeconomic discrimination in and of itself isn't racist/homophobic/xenophobic. It may be mean-spirited at times but I don't recall it qualifying anyone as a protected class (but IANAL).

Well, technically speaking, I think black rednecks are probably pretty rare...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  17. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Many Rednecks I know proudly refer to themselves as such.

18. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Redneck is not a slur, much less an ethnic slur.

Insult, perhaps, depending on the context. But definitely not a slur.

19. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

Checking American Heritage, FreeDictionary.com and Wikipedia, "redneck" is described as "derogatory", "pejorative", "disparaging" and "generally considered offensive".

But you idiots keep digging in your bigoted heels.

20. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Okay can we now get back to discussing how stupid it is to infer black tie from fancy fonts?