• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got my tuxedo back from my tailor as I work on getting together my black-tie rig.

I have a question: the trousers do not, of course, have belt loops, nor do they have side-tabs or buttons for braces.

I would prefer to get buttoned braces (would these be suitable?) so I will have to have buttons added to the trousers. I've done a bit of reading on the topic and am thinking that I'd like the front attachment points to be inside the waistband (in case they'd peek out below my cummerbund if they were fixed outside) and the rear attachment point outside, for comfort when sitting.

Your guidance and experience would be greatly appreciated. :)

I don't like those Brooks braces because the rounded leather attachment for the back buttons bite into back when sitting. I prefer the flat attachment of the Thurston braces such as here http://thearmoury.com/en/artisans/albert-thurston

The button placement inside or outside the waistband isn't an issue for me.

TheMangelo

Reaction score
It should work either way. Really comes down to preference. Though, if you're worried about them peeking or under your cummerbund, you are probably playing it very close to the wire with your proportions.

I will post photos later, but I may have the problem of the trousers being slightly lower rise than I'd like, or perhaps my cummerbund not being as wide as it could be. Hence my concern.

deadAngle

Reaction score
As a suggestion, position the front buttons in line with both the pant crease and side seam and space the rear buttons the same amount as one set of front buttons. This spreads the force out over a broader area and helps to keep the straps in the right position. I've had tailors who don't understand how much more comfortable this is and would space them a scant 1.5" apart not really centred on anything.

TheMangelo

Reaction score
[…] position the front buttons in line with both the pant crease and side seam […]

Could you elaborate on the position a bit more?

My thoughts were simply to centre the brace itself over the crease in the trousers, spacing the buttons far enough apart to account for the natural V-shape of the button-hole extensions.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My thoughts were simply to centre the brace itself over the crease in the trousers, spacing the buttons far enough apart to account for the natural V-shape of the button-hole extensions.
Your method will produce an unsatisfactory result.

Inside button placement is over the crease. Outside button placement is forward of the side seam, the distance dictated by waist size. A bigger waist will require a greater distance between buttons.

TheMangelo

Reaction score

Your method will produce an unsatisfactory result.

Inside button placement is over the crease. Outside button placement is forward of the side seam, the distance dictated by waist size. A bigger waist will require a greater distance between buttons.

Thank you!

My tailor will be handling this, at any rate, so I'm not too concerned with the details—just curious.

Last edited:

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently by Lanvin.... I would not have let him in!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new Brooks Brothers catalog black tie styling is awful.

Wayward

Reaction score

Pushing the limits of black tie to new levels: the seersucker tuxedo from J. Crew. Really.

Product description reads:

This warm-weather take on the classic tuxedo is unlike anything we've done before. Made from a special black-on-black seersucker we found at a renowned Japanese mill, it's equal parts Cape Cod and downtown NYC. It's fully lined to give it the same structure and shape as traditional tuxes and is finished with a classic satin peak lapel. The result? An elevated formal look that we're sure nobody else will have this summer.

I'm also sure there's a reason why nobody else will have it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads