• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are some pics illustrating my problem. I can't believe Brooks Brothers would put a non-stud button on the pique bib. In any case, I think that the quickest/easiest/cheapest route is simply to get the button cut off and another stud hole made (my tailor can do it for $20). That leaves me with 5 studs, which I very much dislike, but is otherwise innocuous. I definitely regret the low rise pants, and when I replace this tux, I will have something MTM with a more reasonable cut.
Can you find a taller cummerbund?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed--that seems to be more a problem with the cummerbund (or possibly very low rise trousers?) than the shirt. Basically, the top of that cummerbund is about where I would expect to see the top of the trousers, with the cummerbund covering above that.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main problem is that you're wearing the cumberbund as if it is a belt.

You're supposed to wear it higher, it's top edge should be above your navel.

I bet you could do that and your shirt would not show below it, solving the problem (covering the button), but try it and let us know if otherwise.

There is not enough black level differentiation in the pics to show where the cumberbund ends and pants begin (when you have it on), but I'm pretty darn sure you're just wearing it too low. You're used to the feeling of a normal belt line, but cumberbund goes above that.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think you have it upside down.

The folds shouldn't be oriented so that food can fall into them.

Last edited:

J011yroger

Reaction score
The main problem is that you're wearing the cumberbund as if it is a belt.

You're supposed to wear it higher, it's top edge should be above your navel.

I bet you could do that and your shirt would not show below it, solving the problem (covering the button), but try it and let us know if otherwise.

There is not enough black level differentiation in the pics to show where the cumberbund ends and pants begin (when you have it on), but I'm pretty darn sure you're just wearing it too low. You're used to the feeling of a normal belt line, but cumberbund goes above that.

I'm going to say that he has it on right-side up, and were it worn any higher his waistband would be exposed.

J

Erablian

Reaction score

Pleats pointed up, as in the photo, is the traditional way. The mnemonic to remember this is the nickname “crumbcatcher” for cummerbund. As far as I know, only US Army mess dress wear cummerbunds with pleats pointing down.

Last edited:

J011yroger

Reaction score
Is there a good resource for dating formal wear? I am accumulating quite a bit of vintage stuff, and am just curious as to when it was made both for my own curiosity, and to look up pictures of the decades they were from.

J

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there a good resource for dating formal wear? I am accumulating quite a bit of vintage stuff, and am just curious as to when it was made both for my own curiosity, and to look up pictures of the decades they were from.

J

If it's true vintage stuff (not just something from the early 80's, for instance) post up some pics here.

The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

Those guys are pretty helpful.

J011yroger

Reaction score
Tried on a bunch of stuff tonight, my mother of pearl studs while they look quite nice in the jewelry box are very inconspicuous against the white shirt maybe best for white tie or a more solomn less festive event.

I didn't want to wear onyx ones because I feel they are pretty common, so I am leaning towards these.

Thoughts?

J

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ What exactly is wrong with inconspicuous? Mother of pearl studs are very tasteful and classic.

aznorazizul

Reaction score
Quote: Here are some pics illustrating my problem. I can't believe Brooks Brothers would put a non-stud button on the pique bib. In any case, I think that the quickest/easiest/cheapest route is simply to get the button cut off and another stud hole made (my tailor can do it for $20). That leaves me with 5 studs, which I very much dislike, but is otherwise innocuous. I definitely regret the low rise pants, and when I replace this tux, I will have something MTM with a more reasonable cut.

I agreed you should be wearing it a bit higher. That is from my personal observation. The cummerband shouldn't be worn as belt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads