• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grant Stone Cognac, and "Avocado" (green) shell cordovan PTB. The green pair was dubbed "Avocado" by one of my favourite Allen Edmonds SAs in Paramus.
20180805_124515-1.jpg

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carmina natural Shell real world test.

I went on vacation to Mexico for 7 days, wife demanded carry on only, pack lite, no shoe trees, no shoe nonsense (her term), so I had very limited options. Managed to jam in a water shoe for the pool time and that was it. I had to pick a shoe that I could wear most of the time, decided it had to be a Dainite sole, a storm welt, a neutral color match, and comfortable, that is the Carmina GMTO Frankenstitch natural shells. Remember only option was to wear the shoes for the trip, no maintenance options per the boss.

Here they are out of the box when new.

View attachment 1014574

Here they are mid week (remember worn everyday).

View attachment 1014583
View attachment 1014575

Here they are on my shoe bench after the trip.

View attachment 1014576 View attachment 1014577

Here they are after I cleaned them with a damp cloth and brushed them down.

View attachment 1014578 View attachment 1014579 View attachment 1014580

We went on several day tours, miles of walking some days, standing for hours on end, as well as worn for up to 18 hours a few days.

Yes I could have brought a pair of sneakers, but I find my Carmina shoes very comfortable and all I can say is my feet were happy the whole trip.

I had no issue with shell in the Mexico temps @ 90+, no issue with shell in general the shoes still look great after a hard week with no maintenance at all. One day it rained like crazy and shoes got wet and some mud on them, feet were dry no issues. This is also natural shell probably the easiest to stain I think they held up fantastic.

You can see some darkness at the base of the rolls, this does not seem to be dirt but just a pantena the shell has taken on with all the flexing.

I have no issues with how shell holds up in any weather. I have seen posts avoid wearing shell in rain, avoid this or that, I bought my shoes to wear plus enjoy, and they performed without issue and still look great.

Do they look more worn than when new, yes they do, and that's the point as I wore them like crazy and enjoyed every minute of it.
It pleases me you did this. They look good.
Grant Stone Cognac, and "Avocado" (green) shell cordovan PTB. The green pair was dubbed "Avocado" by one of my favourite Allen Edmonds SAs in Paramus.
View attachment 1014594
Yum.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would've left the shoes in the hotel and gone swimming...and Im a huge shoe guy =)

Generally we vacation to see new things/places, eat new food, see the local land and towns. Pool we can do that in the backyard anytime no need to go to Mexico for a pool. Now that water hole in the pic yea that's something we don't have anywhere in NJ.

Looking good, and they held up great. Glad you enjoyed your holiday and the shoes!
:cheers:

Thanks.

It pleases me you did this. They look good.

Yum.

Thanks for the thumbs up.

kilowatts

Reaction score
More shell PTBs -- Allen Edmonds Leeds for me today
View attachment 1014814

Hi Guys:

I don't know what it is about North American PTBS but they grab me every time. Shells are of course, the icing on the cake and brown AE shells are one of the best. The rest of the world doesn't seem to pull it off the same way, Spanish, English, Italian etc. although Grant Stone are very hard to beat.

kilowatts

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I don't know what it is about North American PTBS but they grab me every time. Shells are of course, the icing on the cake and brown AE shells are one of the best. The rest of the world doesn't seem to pull it off the same way, Spanish, English, Italian etc. although Grant Stone are very hard to beat.

kilowatts

No love for Carmina? Too elegant? ;)

776B5C11-E17E-48AD-AE5A-9DEDC26CCCEC.jpeg

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yessir! @madhat liked them too...

Is that from the recent EP SW promo or from somewhere else? Either way, I’m always an advocate for green pants, so looking good!

Nice shoes too, lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads