• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oxford-Shoe-Worn-Casually Appreciation Thread

Stylewords

Reaction score
Most of the people I know who catch every virus that's going around are those who live in a bubble of disinfected surfaces. I'm a firm believer that my Teflon immune system comes at least in part from the fact that I'm not obsessively clean. In all seriousness, I think we'd all benefit from occasional exposure to a little bathroom floor piss and shoes on the bed.
Totally agree. Nothing wrong with being exposed to dirt, muck and germs. The immune system needs it. All seems a bit Howard Hughes to think you can avoid it.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys think there could be a market for rubber slippers for germophobics??

"Like Condoms for your feet" ?

VegasRebel

Reaction score
What an amazing turn of events.

Seeing some of the household hygiene rules, I think I understand a bit better why oxfords with chinos is way down on my list of things to get upset about.

I laid down on my own rug to watch the game yesterday. A handful of people just recoiled in disgust.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What an amazing turn of events.

Seeing some of the household hygiene rules, I think I understand a bit better why oxfords with chinos is way down on my list of things to get upset about.

I laid down on my own rug to watch the game yesterday. A handful of people just recoiled in disgust.

I had to get underneath a Land-rover to remove the propshaft in a farmyard and possibly got some cowsh*t in my eye ?

VegasRebel

Reaction score
I had to get underneath a Land-rover to remove the propshaft in a farmyard and possibly got some cowsh*t in my eye ?

"I think so, Brain, but how did the cow fit under a Land Rover? NARF!"

1636410564059.png

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really instructive to read the accounts of the first Americans in Japan (Admiral Perry's crew) in Shimoda, quite near where my in-laws have property - they had no idea about bathing, believed that hot water made men weak, refused to take their boots off anywhere, destroying tatami floors, and subsisted mainly on large amounts of meat of everything they could find to be slaughtered, generally fried in lots of oil, so much so that the temple sub-building they were housed in was so disgusting that it had to be demolished when they left. There was a fundamental lack of respect for the manners, preferences and customs of others, of which the refusal to remove shoes was probably the least destructive...

(none of this is in any way to sugggest that Japan had some kind of superior culture BTW, but just in terms of personal hygeine I know which way I would have prefered)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really instructive to read the accounts of the first Americans in Japan (Admiral Perry's crew) in Shimoda, quite near where my in-laws have property - they had no idea about bathing, believed that hot water made men weak, refused to take their boots off anywhere, destroying tatami floors, and subsisted mainly on large amounts of meat of everything they could find to be slaughtered, generally fried in lots of oil, so much so that the temple sub-building they were housed in was so disgusting that it had to be demolished when they left. There was a fundamental lack of respect for the manners, preferences and customs of others, of which the refusal to remove shoes was probably the least destructive...

(none of this is in any way to sugggest that Japan had some kind of superior culture BTW, but just in terms of personal hygeine I know which way I would have prefered)

Mid 19th century Americans were definitely not the cleanest, but everyone had gross customs.

Japanese Kuge noble women used an iron tannin mix to blacken their teeth, and they had an entire untouchable caste to touch all the dead stuff.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Source?

Because generally speaking, 19th century people took plenty of baths, so this strikes me as the type of old wives' tale that gets passed around. Plus, probably some culture shock on the other side, too, if these are Japanese accounts. Gaijin xenophobia has always been tinged with stereotypes of bigger, hairier, smellier, meat eating barbarians, etc.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Source?

Because generally speaking, 19th century people took plenty of baths, so this strikes me as the type of old wives' tale that gets passed around. Plus, probably some culture shock on the other side, too, if these are Japanese accounts. Gaijin xenophobia has always been tinged with stereotypes of bigger, hairier, smellier, meat eating barbarians, etc.

Americans are notoriously dirty. As recently as the 21st century, many wore shoes in the home and urinated on the floor.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBBSTI LTD