• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oxford-Shoe-Worn-Casually Appreciation Thread

apShepard

Reaction score
I understand not taking your shoes of at a house party where the host tells you to not do it. But people do take of their shoes when they enter their own home, right?

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I understand not taking your shoes of at a house party where the host tells you to not do it. But people do take of their shoes when they enter their own home, right?

I take mine off in my home office, the furthest room from my front door, because that's the room with the walk in closet where I store my shoes. Unless I've been walking through snow or mud I'm not doing gymnastics at my front door just to keep my floors pristine. I've got a bad back, damn it, I'd do myself a mischief :p

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't wear shoes in my house, but not chiefly out of cleanliness, but out of comfort. I walk around barefoot mostly at home, because shoes are meant to protect the feet from the outside, not really to be worn for no reason at all, as shoes are definitely less comfortable (even if they are comfortable) than bare feet.

When I entertain guests, I usually don't take my shoes off unless they're winter boots. I also don't request people take their shoes off unless, again, it's because of inclement weather, and I don't want my rugs and carpet to be messed up.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I don't (when I enter). Maybe I would if I had a carpeted floor and/or if I'd been walking in mud.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does no-one else sit down on the toilet to pee? I mean seriously, unless there is a urinal, it's only good manners and more hygienic to sit down. This is normal in many European countries and yet apparently rather too many British and American men seem to think it's somehow emasculating if they can't spray piss everywhere (and you are doing that even if your aim is good)... we're not tomcats, are we?

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been fun reading about everyone's toilet habits but can we please get back to slagging off loafers, ball caps and business casual outfits please??

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that note, this is a fun, breezy piece which gets to at least one reason why there may not be any point in trying to persude anyone about 'standards' or what's aesthetically 'better' any more... and I like the idea of an irony collapse, although to be honest I am not sure that there has ever been a widespread cultural understanding of irony outside of exactly the kinds of elite, educated communities who are still trying to convince others that there is something called 'taste' that is worth preserving.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For someone who is famously not on Styleforum anymore he's sure on Styleforum a lot.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On that note, this is a fun, breezy piece which gets to at least one reason why there may not be any point in trying to persude anyone about 'standards' or what's aesthetically 'better' any more... and I like the idea of an irony collapse, although to be honest I am not sure that there has ever been a widespread cultural understanding of irony outside of exactly the kinds of elite, educated communities who are still trying to convince others that there is something called 'taste' that is worth preserving.

Literally had this exact convo last night with UrbanComp and his wife after dinner. We talked about changing dress culture since we were in high school, poptimism, youth subcultures and their dress codes, the staggering of what's cool and what's not, etc.

Right before the first US lockdown, I went to a music club to check out an event. The DJ played every kind of music under the sun -- pop, alternative, hip hop, etc. At the end of the night, a gothy woman dressed in all black got on stage and started singing what sounded like some Norwegian synth music. Everyone around me was very young and seemed to enjoy the eclectic mix of music. Thirty years ago, my music experiences were much more segregated -- there were punk events and hip hop events, and the two did not cross. I even hid my R&B cassettes from friends because that kind of music was considered uncool.

Now everyone listens to everything and (mostly) wears whatever they want. Although I think there are still demarcations for what's cool and not cool. There are "cool" ways to do normcore.

I'm reading Kennedy Fraser's book The Fashionable Mind, which is a collection of her New Yorker essays on fashion. Interestingly, she opens up with an introduction about how, when she was assigned to write about fashion in the 1970s, she felt there were no more standards or dictas on dress. Her intro sounded very similar to Cathy Horyn's The Cut article "The End of Trends," which was published around 2012 or so. So perhaps everyone feels modern dress is chaotic at every point in history.

VegasRebel

Reaction score
Now everyone listens to everything and (mostly) wears whatever they want.

FTFA: "There was a time when I felt I could know what kind of music or pants a person liked and be able to fill in the rest of their interests with reasonable accuracy; at this point, there doesn’t seem to be any connection at all. "

I suspect people were often more complex than what people assumed by the type of music they listen to or the pants they wear. Or maybe I'm just solidly at home in this new complexity-rich era, having listened to Trick Daddy on my way into the office to write legal briefs to the state's Supreme Court and post on StyFo, with plans to go home and play Final Fantasy 14 this evening. I don't know if any of that is "cool," but I'm well past trying to be.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FTFA: "There was a time when I felt I could know what kind of music or pants a person liked and be able to fill in the rest of their interests with reasonable accuracy; at this point, there doesn’t seem to be any connection at all. "

I suspect people were often more complex than what people assumed by the type of music they listen to or the pants they wear. Or maybe I'm just solidly at home in this new complexity-rich era, having listened to Trick Daddy on my way into the office to write legal briefs to the state's Supreme Court and post on StyFo, with plans to go home and play Final Fantasy 14 this evening. I don't know if any of that is "cool," but I'm well past trying to be.
"Back in the day" we were all beholden to the radio. Growing up in Ohio we had lots of Classic Rock and I suspect there is still one station back home that plays Stairway to Heaven on endless loop. MTV came and sort burst everything wide open. Then, I used to love getting Paste Magazine with its monthly cd of new artists. Now in the digital age it's an embarrassment of riches with Spotify and such. Sitting at my desk in DC and have listened to KCRW from LA, the Current from Minneapolis, and WXPN from Philly so far today. Shifting over to WTMD from Baltimore soon.

It's simply amazing to have access to almost everything.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't know. I think in the 90s, I could reasonably say what kind of music someone listened to by their dress. And if you dressed a certain way, and were interested in "alternative" or "underground" music, you probably hated Top 40 pop. Or top 40 anything.

Now people listen to obscure music and Britney Spears, and they like Spears unironically. It's not a guilty pleasure. It's a genuine pleasure. And you often can't even tell what someone listens to anymore from their dress. Kids who are into hip hop nowadays often dress like emo alternative kids. Or they might wear normcore. Whereas, in the 90s, if you stepped into a club, a lot of the guys not only dressed the same, they wore the same labels and pieces.

Saul Austerlitz wrote a critique of poptimism in 2014. Seven years later, I think poptimism still defines a lot of music culture nowadays.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drlifestyle