• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SJC_london_black_33_jacket-2864_1024x1024.jpg

800gsm fabric. I found this one interesting because this was a similiar fabric to what I was looking to get for a Balmacaan. It's stunning, but it doesn't look remotely versatile in terms of colour.

I do dig the belt with this overcoat, and the unique hybrid slash/patch pockets.

Maybe as a 5th or 6th overcoat.

hysteria

Reaction score
SJC_london_black_33_jacket-2864_1024x1024.jpg

800gsm fabric. I found this one interesting because this was a similiar fabric to what I was looking to get for a Balmacaan. It's stunning, but it doesn't look remotely versatile in terms of colour.

I do dig the belt with this overcoat, and the unique hybrid slash/patch pockets.

Maybe as a 5th or 6th overcoat.

It's blue so I think it's quite versatile. I love it.
Where is it from?

hysteria

Reaction score
It's a bright blue, and in my experience that shade of blue is hard to work into a wardrobe.

There's also the POV that a colour of an overcoat doesn't really matter.

Navy and Teal Donegal Ulster Coat – SJC (simonjamescathcart.com)

I think the colour does matter, but I think anything blue is extremely versatile. Works just as well with grey as always, brown, mayybe green, deifnitely white.

Not a big fan of the belt personally, I prefer more classic polo coats. But the fabric and colour are so unique and interesting! The lenght is also longer than I like so I'd have to get that tailored.
I'm very attracted to this and may go on my wishlist. I'm not familiar with this brand or their quality. Any insight into that?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the colour does matter, but I think anything blue is extremely versatile. Works just as well with grey as always, brown, mayybe green, deifnitely white.

Not a big fan of the belt personally, I prefer more classic polo coats. But the fabric and colour are so unique and interesting! The lenght is also longer than I like so I'd have to get that tailored.
I'm very attracted to this and may go on my wishlist. I'm not familiar with this brand or their quality. Any insight into that?
Not from SF or personal experience. I agree the colour and fabric is interesting.

The coat may be cut to be worn with a belt, so I'd be wary of that.

There is a thread from Fedora Lounge

The SJC Clothing Thread - Show us what you have or wish to have! | Page 7 | The Fedora Lounge

I found fellow @willyto in the thread so he may have more insight.

They look legit to my eyes though.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Despos Where is the white cashmere coat?? :)

Also, when you make these, how far down does the canvas extend? Is it the same as a suit coat and stop at the hip? All the way down? Just a chest piece? Thanks in advance...

hysteria

Reaction score
Not from SF or personal experience. I agree the colour and fabric is interesting.

The coat may be cut to be worn with a belt, so I'd be wary of that.

There is a thread from Fedora Lounge

The SJC Clothing Thread - Show us what you have or wish to have! | Page 7 | The Fedora Lounge

I found fellow @willyto in the thread so he may have more insight.

They look legit to my eyes though.

I'd like your input (And everyone else on the forum) on another purchase I'm considering, since we're on the topic of versatility.
This is a SM coat, which is at the same level of high-end wear that a lot of the SF members are used to, but I also don't want a coat like this to be too expensive considering it's lack of versatility. The fit works incredibly well and I love how interesting and unique the colour is. However, this is probably the one of the most difficult colours to own because green is just so hard to pair. It works with grey pants, and that's pretty much it. It doesn't work well with blue and I don't wear brown pants very often. Same with tops - it will work well with white or brown tops, and maybe lilac, but that's about it. Really, it's the pants that are hard to pair with, and I think that will significantly restrict the number of wears I will get out of it.
I'd love to hear some thoughts on this so that I can make a decision. IT's one of those situations where I love the colour, material and fit, but just can't think of enough ways to pull it off to justify the purchase.

Keep in mind, I wouldn't wear this with a suit and infrequently with a dress shirt. It would most likely be worn with cardigans, cableknit sweaters, turtlenecks.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like your input (And everyone else on the forum) on another purchase I'm considering, since we're on the topic of versatility.
This is a SM coat, which is at the same level of high-end wear that a lot of the SF members are used to, but I also don't want a coat like this to be too expensive considering it's lack of versatility. The fit works incredibly well and I love how interesting and unique the colour is. However, this is probably the one of the most difficult colours to own because green is just so hard to pair. It works with grey pants, and that's pretty much it. It doesn't work well with blue and I don't wear brown pants very often. Same with tops - it will work well with white or brown tops, and maybe lilac, but that's about it. Really, it's the pants that are hard to pair with, and I think that will significantly restrict the number of wears I will get out of it.
I'd love to hear some thoughts on this so that I can make a decision. IT's one of those situations where I love the colour, material and fit, but just can't think of enough ways to pull it off to justify the purchase.

Keep in mind, I wouldn't wear this with a suit and infrequently with a dress shirt. It would most likely be worn with cardigans, cableknit sweaters, turtlenecks.

Sure man.

For me, that would be a very versatile coat due to the amount of beige and browns trousers I wear. It would generally work well with the dusty country colours I wear.

In your case, it sounds like you wear blue and grey pants more? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If this is one of your first coats you're considering, I would pass. If it's a 3rd or 4th coat, then I'd get it; based off the idea that you already have versatile coats covered.

Zanieri - Gray Herringbone Polo Coat | Spier & Mackay (spierandmackay.com)

I would look into trying that one depending on how you feel about it.

hysteria

Reaction score
Sure man.

For me, that would be a very versatile coat due to the amount of beige and browns trousers I wear. It would generally work well with the dusty country colours I wear.

In your case, it sounds like you wear blue and grey pants more? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If this is one of your first coats you're considering, I would pass. If it's a 3rd or 4th coat, then I'd get it; based off the idea that you already have versatile coats covered.

Zanieri - Gray Herringbone Polo Coat | Spier & Mackay (spierandmackay.com)

I would look into trying that one depending on how you feel about it.

Thanks for the intput.
I did consider the gray version, but gray herringbone's are so common, if I were to buy a gray herringbone, I'd want a cut that's a bit more interesting and bold.
I do tend to wear a lot of blue and grey, but if I had this green coat, it would certainly propel me to start wearing more browns haha.

Also curious to know what you think of the colour, fabric and cut. Again, I think it's a very unique colour and donegal always has depth imo. But, everyone ont his forum has seen and worn far more coats than I have, and it always helps to have some seasoned inputs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads