1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Good then, I feel vindicated!
    2012 is turning out to be a very good vintage for WA. Buying all the cellar-worthy 2012's I can get my hands on.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Come 2022 you're going to have some wonderfully drinking stuff. I need to get some laid down.

3. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I was hoping RL wouldn't let the secret of the 2012's out. I still need to get a few selections. I think it was Bob Betz who called it one of the top 3 years he's seen in WA wine history.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]
    Had this two weeks ago. It was good.

[​IMG]
    Bought this like 3-4 years ago. Stored in the cupboard, so less than ideal. I've had a bottle of this back when I bought and I recall it being a bit better, but that's basically just a good guess. It's a bit hot but overall pretty good. Not too over-the-top as some new world wines tend to be.

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Serious question. With reds, are we typically committing vinfanticide? I ask as I have, within the last month or two, consumed two bottles of very homely wine that had been languishing in my wine fridges that I have only now consumed in my trip through my stock (since I am not really in a position to lay down wine as I once was). And they were both phenomenal! They sang. The wines were both '06s, one a Frenchy Ch. de. Beauchene 'Grand Reserve' Cotes du Rhone, which I think is $12 or so now; the other a 'Nine Vines' Zinfandel at the same price point. I was really amazed by both.

So, are we killing even our cheap wines too young?

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

my unworthy opinion:

i dont like the concept of vinfanticide. sure most wines taste better with age, some wines don't taste very good when young (and really good when really old), but really it's your wine. even the wines that used to taste bad when young and good when old now are made so that it still tastes good when young.

great thing about cheap wines is you can buy a case to enjoy now and age some for later but i dont think it means you should never drink young new wine. it's just a different experience.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I will of course bow to others more knowledgeable than me but I think some wine is built to drink young and some is built to age. The young drinkers are easier to obtain and pay for (usually, there's certainly exceptions) and the truly age worthy wines are often priced out of this world. That said I've been drinking through some Left Coast Syrah with about 10 years of age on it and it's just wonderful stuff. That's a drop in the bucket though when compared to say a Hermitage's ability to age.

TL;DNR = sometimes yes, sometimes no.

8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Just want to let you guys know that Astor Wines has a 20% off sale for all French Wines for Bastille Day. Today only I believe.

1 person likes this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Btw, received my new Vinotemp last Friday. Very happy for the increased capacity.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Delicious.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

That's kind of what I am saying. For instance, I collect Sauternes (sort of, I buy it and rarely drink it so I call that collecting), and I have a bottle I am not opening until it is more than 50 years old. But apart from that, as a non-baller I have often felt that the gap between my plebian tipples and good wine is large. But aging some of this more inferior stuff has been eye-opening; it's been showing wonderfully. So I am wondering if I am underestimating the ability of cheap wine to age, and not giving it credit for the quality of product that it is because I am drinking it too young?

I get what you are saying. I also don't think you should never drink wine young (this would be impractical for many of us (not Piob)), but I also don't like waste, generally -- for instance I would not mix a '73 Darroze Armagnac in a cocktail, nor would I drink Lafite when released. Nor do I want to sell inexpensive wine short by drinking it too young and not giving it a chance.

1 person likes this.
  12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Today was an 08 Rioja Reserva. All of $12 bucks. I love that region.

13. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

In honor of Bastille Day:

[​IMG]

Geoffroy is one of Terry Theise's producers, and this is his basic NV. My bottle was disgorged in 2011 and has the old label, and I got a deal because the distributor was trying to get rid of the old to make room for the new.

This is very good -- lots of toastiness, round, tart but not too tart. God bless Terry Theise.

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Rene Geoffroy is one of the small growers that I like. Good find!

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]

This is good stuff but from what I recall (I've only had a démi bouteille) it doesn't get close to the B-S brut rosé. Then again, it's like 35-40 € whereas the B-S is 45-50 €. Anyway, got this for <25 € so it's definitely great value. The alcohol is slightly too prominent and the acidity a bit too harsh.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Merry Edwards has put out a sparkling rose. I hear it's pretty damn good but have not been able to get my hands on a bottle.

17. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

few things get close to the B-S rose, but you're right about price as it usually hovers around $80 or so in the US and $150 or so at a restaurant.

still, see it on a list, and see it for a good price, then it's a no brainer.

19. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I had a couple bottles of 2012 Tignanello on vacation, and I very much liked it. Also stayed at the Baracchi estate for a few days for a wedding. Their wines were a lot more interesting than I was expecting. I really liked their cab/sangiovese blend and their merlot. Their sparkling wine was very good as well imo. Sabered a bottle on the wine tasting/tour, which was fun.

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think that Tignanello doesn't have much cab in it. It's about 80% Sang, IIRC. But there is enough "foreign" grape in it that they can't call it by one of the DOCG designations.

I view it as very high end Chianti.