1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would agree with that, at the more expensive price point Piedmont is much better, but I do find most of the "delicious" wines to be in Tuscany.

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Tuscany has better $10 wines. Piedmont is much more diverse and versatile in the $15-20 range.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Where do you get Piedmont for under $20, and what can you get? Langhe's seem to be more around $25 these days.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Langhe can push it, but there's plenty others from Piedmont. Langhes (+ the 50 other Nebbiolo DOC's) and Dolcettos and Barberas and Gavi and Roero and Moscato and so on...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  5. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Produttori Langhe is about $23 around here, so I would think that you could get it for $20 or less up there. There's also a producer named Guidobono that does a very creditable Langhe Nebbiolo for around $15. But yes, it's getting difficult to find even decent Barbera or Dolcetto for $20.

On a completely unrelated note, I had the 2006 version of this over the past couple of nights:

[​IMG]

Really nice -- very floral, high acid, lots of earthiness, not a whole lot of pyrazines. Old-fashioned Loire Cab Franc.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Love me some Chinon.

7. patrickBOOTH

Had a great one with gomey and foo last month.

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I tend to not gamble with Chinon since it's either good and interesting, or it's like stewed tomatoes.

9. patrickBOOTH

Here tis' [​IMG]

It tasted like a good burg, oddly.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I intend to put a case in the cellar this fall. I plan to drink more Chinon and Rioja this year.

11. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Happy hour @ the Central Coast of California: had a glass of perhaps the worst rosé I've ever tasted this side of Sutter Home White Zinfandel. Origin: Paso Robles.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Barrel 27?

13. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That also went through my mind. Yes, they suck. I had an embarrassing experience with them that also involved an SF notable. Kissing Cousins maybe?

15. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Araujo is great -- I had a bottle with a time-defying finish that was perceptible for about 2.5 minutes and make me think I could perceive it for 5. I'm sure the Vox clan would point to research suggesting this is just happening because I know I'm drinking Araujo, but I say that they can make wine that keeps on singing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  16. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Had this recently with some Prime ribeye. 2000 Chanticleer Cabernet -- a small Yountville estate producer. Know the owner, he's a good guy. Small production. Purchased directly from the winery on release. Drinking beautifully now, very well integrated, soft, easy drinking, but not for lack of character and depth -- just fully integrated and nicely mature. Has years to go but it's drinking great now. Mostly cabernet with a small percentage of Sangiovese.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. patrickBOOTH

Nice cock.

2 people like this.
  18. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

Start here: http://www.amazon.com/Vino-Italiano-Regional-Wines-Italy/dp/1400097746

I wanted to up my Italian wine knowledge so decided to drink my way through all the regions. It helps massively to put everything into context and this book is excellent for that.

Its really been an eye opening learning experience. I almost think that I could be happy drinking exclusively Italian wine from now on. The diversity and depth of quality to be found in Italy is staggering.

19. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Things I hate to read in Cellar Tracker notes: