• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My experience shows that to get the same quality American wine as a French wine you need to spend a lot more.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Specifically this.

Typed quickly but I'm sure you can figure it out. National products are much cheaper for what they are so people drink their nat stuff. I am talking about european countries, I am sure you know about the north america market considering you probably read some mag report mags, websites or other similar stuff that proves my point about food geekery.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Typed quickly but I'm sure you can figure it out. National products are much cheaper for what they are so people drink their nat stuff. I am talking about european countries, I am sure you know about the north america market considering you probably read some mag report mags, websites or other similar stuff that proves my point about food geekery.

For some reason, in the US wine price to quality in the under $20 range favors France by a large margin. Then probably Italy and Spain. Then the US. No idea why.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

For some reason, in the US wine price to quality in the under $20 range favors France by a large margin. Then probably Italy and Spain. Then the US. No idea why.

It is the same in many countries that had a smaller market and more recent industry. To get the canadian cheese equivalent of a french or italian cheese you pay 1.5 times the price. You see this stuff all the time if you move around a lot. I'm not talking about prohibitive prices on imported products in shitholes or how asian will drink anything that makes them think they're classy. I want to start a winery called "domaine de l'isopranol" and put ads in wine magazines so chinese elites drink it.

us wines: I never have the reflex to buy any but every time I had some they were good. If I hear another asshole talk about Pinot I'm going to shove the bottle up his ass though but that has nothing to do with how it tastes. Alsacian pinot gris excepted...

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Cellar Tracker is great to keep track of your cellar and also great it's a webtool so I can look at my cellar on my iPad or Kindle while in boring meetings.

I mainly agree with Fuuma on US/Japanese vs. Euro thing. In the sub-$20, where the US really sucks, I think France really wins due to its far longer tradition of winemaking, and more importantly, wine drinking. I still think that price is a fairly good proxy for low to moderate informed consumers in regards to US wines. Price has a very low R-squared for French wines IMO, and oddly enough, it is there that real knowledge of region, producer, and vintage is required to score or be scored on.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Cellar Tracker is great to keep track of your cellar and also great it's a webtool so I can look at my cellar on my iPad or Kindle while in boring meetings.
I mainly agree with Fuuma on US/Japanese vs. Euro thing. In the sub-$20, where the US really sucks, I think France really wins due to its far longer tradition of winemaking, and more importantly, wine drinking. I still think that price is a fairly good proxy for low to moderate informed consumers in regards to US wines. Price has a very low R-squared for French wines IMO, and oddly enough, it is there that real knowledge of region, producer, and vintage is required to score or be scored on.

I keep a very large ratio of empty to full bottles so cellar tracker is useless to me and I don't see how you can keep a straight face and use an Ipad in meetings. If I was the CEO of a company people would leave their ******* phones in a bucket by the door or be thrown out the window by my trained gorillas. On the other hand, yeah, if you're going to have 200+ bottles you're free to use tech to index them.

note: Spanish wines don't really have taste determined by price either, their whites are excellent from what I have seen and not really expensive.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I keep a very large ratio of empty to full bottles so cellar tracker is useless to me and I don't see how you can keep a straight face and use an Ipad in meetings. If I was the CEO of a company people would leave their ******* phones in a bucket by the door or be thrown out the window by my trained gorillas. On the other hand, yeah, if you're going to have 200+ bottles you're free to use tech to index them.

note: Spanish wines don't really have taste determined by price either, their whites are excellent from what I have seen and not really expensive.

I've spent many years learning to keep a straight fact through most anything.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

And there are buckets of $50 Burgundy that are terrible.

I know this is the convention, and maybe I'm super lucky when it comes to buying, but I'm finding this to be less and less true. Even the big names like Drouhin and Jadot, readily available most anywhere, are producing Burgs in the $35-50 price range that are really good. The biggest offenders these days seems to be wines that are simply boring.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know this is the convention, and maybe I'm super lucky when it comes to buying, but I'm finding this to be less and less true.

Not me. :(

But like you were saying a month or so back, I think it all depends on the producer at the sub $50 range. The Cdn that I had from Mongeard-Mugneret was amazing for $30.

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
And there are buckets of $50 Burgundy that are terrible.

I know this is the convention, and maybe I'm super lucky when it comes to buying, but I'm finding this to be less and less true. Even the big names like Drouhin and Jadot, readily available most anywhere, are producing Burgs in the $35-50 price range that are really good. The biggest offenders these days seems to be wines that are simply boring.

My point wasnt about Burgundy, but about wine in general. Substitue any region yiu like. Most of the wine produced on this planet is plonk. So to say "there are buckets of crappy wine from xxxx" is kind of like a no **** Sherlock moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads