1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Mr Melanzane

Mr Melanzane Well-Known Member

2. audiophilia

audiophilia Well-Known Member

Happy New Year.

For last night's dinner party. They provided prime rib and riesling. And the most delicious breakfast this morning.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  3. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

What did you think of the Dunham? I know Pbooth is a fran, but I've never heard anything else about it.

4. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i love Delamotte.

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

el oh el

1 person likes this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I had too much Champs last night. All the acid did not make for a happy stomach this morning. I'm sure the tequila did not help either.

DP, Pierre Peters, Vilmart, Marc Hebrart, and a grower I cannot remember but was nicely sur lie.

A Failla Keefer Ranch Chard. Nicely balanced and would drink again.

A late harvest Sauv. Blanc for the foie course.

A 2010 Booker The White.

An 06 CdP.

A fairly recent vintage of Ridge Monte Bello.

7. gomestar

last night, had lots of good wine with Foof and Nay.
    Cornarea Roero 2011. Really showed well, bright and vibrant yet quite full with good structure.
    Broglia La Meirana Gavi. Similar to the above wine but showed a deeper side and (presumably) more oak. Different style overall from the first wine.
    Seghesio Langhe 2008. Really nice, and exactly what I hoped for. The hint of age is always awesome.

overall all 3 wines seemed well received by the whole table, which is nice. I tried to pick versatile wines that would be gentle to the various food choices of the table. Also didn't want to blow out the bill, the first two were in the $40's, the latter in the upper $60's.

later on, some bubbles.

Laurent-Perrier to start. Always solid, I really like their basic MV.
    Pol Roger. Also solid.
    Vilmart MV. Excellent. The back end of this really stood out over the others.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  8. Piobaire

Are you sure Stitches was not there?

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I am having a cheap langhe nebbiolo, 2011, that is fantastic

10. Piobaire

Tonight we had an 06 Uvas Creek Cabernet Sauvignon by Stefania Wines. Drinking very nicely and went well with the grilled ribeyes.

11. gomestar

hmm. good catch. he was not there.

12. audiophilia

audiophilia Well-Known Member

We never got to it. Lots of unannounced cocktails before dinner! By the time we finished the fabulous Brunello and the young Beaucastel, we were eating trifle and getting ready to pop the pinky.

From the past, it was typical of good Washington Cabs, less jammy than Napa, very refined mid palate, nice finish.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  13. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Stupid random question: why do I always hear that in the ancient world, 1) wine was consumed because it was safer than water and that 2) wine was generally diluted (I can only assume with water) before consumption? These two ideas do not seem logically compatible.

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

alcohol kills bad germs so you can dilute wine with tainted water and be *reasonably* safe.

15. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

I honestly have no idea: would an 11 or 13% alcohol solution have any real effect on the nasty germs that might live in untreated water? In any case, probably not a particularly interesting query in the first place--just popped into my head.

16. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

I think it's a very interesting question.

The wine-making process in the ancient world was different than it is today. I can't remember specifics, but wine was traditionally diluted so that it could be consumed in larger amounts. In classical Greece, the host would choose the dilution of the wine which would set the pace of conversation for the night.

17. Piobaire

They also put all kinds of crap in it, as quite probably, most of the wine tasted like cat piss. Tree resin, spices like fenugreek, honey, all kinds of stuff. I'm pretty sure lead might have been an additive but not 100% sure. I think that lead gave it a sweet flavour, but again, not sure. Or maybe marble dust? Or both..

18. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to have tried. I imagine it being more of a grappa-style spirit than what we drink today. I wonder if there was a significant quality difference between the Greek and Carthaginian, and Etruscan variations.

19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

according to Livy and Plutarch, one reason the Gauls invaded Italy in 390 BC was to steal the wine. They tasted it from trading, didn't know how to make it, so they did the next best thing.

1 person likes this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

This is amazing. Very Chapter 8 if you know what I mean.