• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I want to bring a bottle of wine from France to the US that I want to ship to my brother in a different state. Do you think in the end he will get it? I hear your not supposed to send wine/alcohol to other states. Also do you I will get it into the US if it is in my check in luggage even if I am only 20?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i cant speak of wine in particular, but i've traveled by air with many bottles of liquor with no problem. just wrap it up nicely.

to ship state to state, do not ship USPS. ship UPS or Fedex.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Saw this on sale for $15 and recognized it as one of WS's top 100 of the year. Think it was somewhere in the 30s for the top 100. DOMAINE LE COLOMBIER Vacqueyras CuvÃ
00a9.png
e G. 2007.

IMG_0284.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had my first bottle of 08 Hurst Vineyard SVD Purple Pachyderm Claypool Cellars Pinot Noir. So very good.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Made the Julia Child Coq au Vin recipe yesterday and today. Used a Chenas for the braising wine and served a 2006 Domaine du Pressoir Fleuri Morgon with it.

Turned out great. I have done a wine/stock braised chicken before, but the first time I've tried the "full Monty" with the braised onion and mushroom sides. My only difference in the recipe was that I put a few baby potatoes into the braising liquid and served them as my starch.

Mmmmmm.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
This might become my new hobby for 2011.
facepalm.gif
first cigars, now beer & wine.

/

yeah no kidding, I've been reading up on wine lately. I don't need another hobby... debating on going to the liquor store to pick up some stuff.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
yeah no kidding, I've been reading up on wine lately. I don't need another hobby... debating on going to the liquor store to pick up some stuff.

^ do it!

i wish my tolerance was higher.
frown.gif
sucks being asian. i got super buzzed after three glasses of champagne in about an hour

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got to approach it like an athletic event: training is all. I recommend training 5 days a week.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
^ do it!

i wish my tolerance was higher.
frown.gif
sucks being asian. i got super buzzed after three glasses of champagne in about an hour

i think i inherited my dad's drinking gene's... i don't even feel a buzz after 4 glasses of champagne

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had an 09 Loring Chard last night, Keefer Ranch. Smooth, buttery, mildly oaked. Not bad at all. Had half a bottle of 07 Pfaffman Chard left from Xmas morning breakfast. German made, no oak, highly mineral and acidic. Was interesting to taste side by side.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was supposed to have a date tonight. She wasn't feeling well and we're rescheduling for this weekend. Hanging out now figuring out what I'm going to do for dinner.

Finishing of the last of a bottle of 2004 Silver Oak Alexander Valley we had for dinner night before last. I remember why I like this wine. Silver Oak AV was the wine that got me into trying nicer wines. It's no longer one that I'd consider popping for (given the amount they charge for it) but I do still like the wine.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Decided to pop another bottle of BN (Where's Petrus1? He'd really like this story). 2010 (obviously) Mommessin. Perfect accompaniment with Campbells chicken & Italian herb soup. Like a mix of cherry cough syrup & Twizzlers. Light and fruit punchy, but not undrinkable at all. It is what it is, but isn't just awful.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we had another great 2004 Ondarre Reserve Rioja last night. I posted my tn earlier in this thread, fwiw it was named to the ws top 100. Still seen on wtso from time to time for $11.50 delivered.

tonight we had the 1998 vieux donjon cdp. It took a while for the barnyard odors to blow off leading to cassis, strawberry, white pepper and funk. Nuanced layers of fruit coated the palate, I got a lot of red ruby grapefruit with some strawberry and spice. Refined tannis and a long finish rounded out the package. One of my friends who has tasted a lot of wine called it the best wine he'd ever had.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
we had another great 2004 Ondarre Reserve Rioja last night. I posted my tn earlier in this thread, fwiw it was named to the ws top 100. Still seen on wtso from time to time for $11.50 delivered.
I still have 3 of the 4 bottles of this that I bought from WTSO a year ago when they were still shipping to Texas. I paid $13.99 delivered (bummer). I drank one back in early Nov, but didn't take any notes. WS has a drinking window of 2010 to 2016, so I've been holding back on them for a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads