• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
The Fat Duck

I'm sure there are many thoughts being thrown around on this restaurant - some on here would likely dismiss it entirely as a WD-style circle jerk. I personally had my own skepticism. After all, 3 star dining is something I've had quite a few times in the past, could they really be outdone? The answer for me was a resounding yes - The Fat Duck outclassed these restaurants and ended up being one of the most incredible dining experiences of my life.

The distinguishing factor wasn't just the quality of cooking - I'd say a good number of dishes were on par in quality to a place like Daniel or Robuchon. Rather, it was the "show" of senses and memory that Heston is trying to capture that really puts this restaurant in a special place. You'd be amazed at where your mind wanders when feeling the effects of the superb wine coupled with a tray of perfect sea food that is set to mimic looking like the beach and then dawning headphones that play the sounds of gentle waves. I'm sure some here would pass it off as stupid, and they may very well be right. I probably did look stupid. But I didn't care, my mind was focused on being someplace else at the time.

The environment is simply magnificent, not in stately grandeur, but rather in the subtle communication between tables. It's true this would also look stupid at any other place, and at first it is a little weird. I knew the couple next to us was looking at our table as we each popped the nitro poached green tea and lime mousse. But i'll be damned if I wasn't staring at the table next to us as they began the process. We ended up all having small chat with the 3 tables relatively close to us, it was really wonderful.

Now, time for some pictures and details.

The restaurant isn't exactly in London. In fact, it's very much not in London, it'll take you 45 minutes to reach town even by train. And you'll pass your fair share of sticks to get there:
2643708620043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

The restaurant is hard to find, too. It has a tiny little sign in a small building most would otherwise dismiss. Our driver didn't have a problem, fortunately, and we got there ready to eat.

I started with some Champagne, of course. It was a magnificent Tattinger Comtes de Champagne, 1998 (blanc de blanc). Normally Tattinger is not the first bottle I reach for, but this wine was magnificent. Racy and bright acidity coupled with a smooth oakiness and brilliant balance. The sommelier mentioned it was one of the stars of the 1998 vintage, and I can certainly recommend it without hesitation.

The menu and wine tasting list is as follows, I'll include a picture where I have one:

LIME GROVE
Nitro Poached Green Tea and Lime Mousse - this dish served as the palate cleanser with the brisk rush of tart from the lime. Delicious.

RED CABBAGE GAZPACHO
Pommery Grain Mustard Ice Cream

JELLY OF QUAIL, CRAYFISH CREAM
Chicken Liver Parfait, Oak Moss and Truffle Toast - this is the classic "oak dish" with the dramatic moss cube that fogged and covered the table in a dark mist and oak scents for a few moments. Really fascinating stuff that was a joy to eat.
2002 Peter Lehman Riesling Reserve, Edna Valley Australia - awesome balance of that classic old world riesling petrol but with a hint of new world fruit and concentration. Perfect pairing.
2012918790043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

SNAIL PORRIDGE
Jabugo Ham, Shaved Fennel - one of the best dishes I have had at any restaurant. Simply superb.
The wine was 2006 Collio Bianco, Klin, Primosic from Italy's Friuli region. The slight cotton candy nuance and firm structure made this a really interesting pairing.
2041750560043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

ROAST FOIE GRAS
Rhubarb, Braised Konbu and Crab Biscuit - lol @ Pio foie.
2008 Vouvray, Abbaye de Marmoutier, Vigneau-Chevreau

MOCK TURTLE SOUP (c.1850)
"Mad Hatter Tea" - creative, weird, showy - and damn delicious.
2790190060043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

"SOUND OF THE SEA"
DaiGinjo Masumi Nagano Saki
2683930480043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

SALMON POACHED IN LIQUORICE
Artichokes, Vanilla Mayonnaise, Golden Trout Roe and Manni Olive Oil
2000 Quinta de Leda, Casa Ferreirinha, Duoro Valley Portugal - and oak bomb. But that oaky and vanilla is what played so well with the vanilla mayo and integrated wonderfully with the dish. Compliments to the sommelier for pulling it off.
2891522080043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

POWDERED ANJOU PIGEON (c.1720)
Blood Pudding and Confit of Umbles
2004 Val Di Cornia Suvereto, Olpaio, Rubbia al Colle from Tuscany - Val Di Cornia Suvereto is the little known Tuscan DOC. The blend can be half cab while this particular wine had a good bit of merlot according to the somm. And the result was spectacular, this was perhaps my favorite wine of the night. It had that deep and rustic Tuscan flair that I love so much and it paired so perfectly with the savory pidgeon and dense blood pudding. He refilled my glass with this one. Twice. And once was before the entree even arrived.
2082623490043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

HOT & ICED TEA - this one messes with you, it really is half hot and half cold.

MACERATED STRAWBERRIES
Olive Oil Biscuit, Chamomile & Coriander
Jelly & Ice Cream Cornet
2007 Grasevina Izborna Berba Prosusenith Bobica, Krathaker, Kutjevo, Slavonija (Croatia). This wine was very similar to a TBA riesling and had gorgeous concentration of flavors. It is hard to find and made in such small numbers so this was a real treat.
2142561030043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

THE "BFG"
Kirsch Ice Cream and the smell of the Black Forest
2008 Alella, Dolc Mataro, Alta Alella, Catalunia Spain - a very interesting and sweet red wine that was a great match with the dense yet fruity and multi-layered cake.
2153589910043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

Then a wonderful cheese cart. We picked a variety of stuff and each was excellent.
2291889630043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

WHISK(E)Y WINE GUMS
2522221030043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

"LIKE A KID IN A SWEET SHOP"
Aerated Chocolate with Mandarin Jelly
Coconut Baccy - coconut infused with an aroma of black cavendish tobacco
Apple Pie caramel with an edible wrapper
The queen of hearts - which chocolate with a thin layer of tart fruit

After that incredible food, we decided to take our newly expanded guts for walk around town. It's really a beautiful place and a pleasure to stroll. Some of the buildings are incredibly old and built when people were a wee bit shorter:
2874422090043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

What an experience. If you get the chance, you all MUST eat at the Fat Duck. Even the skeptics.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
worship.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great stuff, Gome. The salmon looks awesome.

Bray is lovely and very close to my hometown. My aunt lives down the street from The Waterside Inn, another fabulous place, making tiny Bray the cuisine 'capital' of the world! Two worldclass joints in one village!

Glad you had a good time.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Details on the cheese by chance?

no details, unfortunately. It was a huge cart they wheeled out and we were too excited to remember any details. The really soft one is like an Epoisses (but it isn't exactly an Epoisses), one is a blue, one is a goat, and I still forget the details on the others. There was a lot of wine flowing at that point.

Originally Posted by audiophilia
Great stuff, Gome. The salmon looks awesome.

Bray is lovely and very close to my hometown. My aunt lives down the street from The Waterside Inn, another fabulous place, making tiny Bray the cuisine 'capital' of the world! Two worldclass joints in one village!

Glad you had a good time.

The salmon is superb. The liquorice is actually very subtle, part of me worried that it could overpower the fish. Not at all. You'd combine everything on the plate, chew, feel happy, and then right at the very end the grapefruit cells pop and it just infuses the whole thing with the salmon and the vanilla and blankets it with citrus - quite extraordinary.

And we might have pictures of the Waterside Inn, that rings a bell, I'll check and see when I'm home later today.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricardo Malocchio
Wow, Gomestar. Your write-up surpasses even those of this guy.

ha, i really could drivel on and on about the dishes and the wines, but brevity can be a virtue. I'll be happy to elaborate on any of the details if need be.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads