The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

My recent favorites:

Napa: Barlow 2004 Merlot

Burgundy: Monthelie 2007 Chateau de Puligny Montrachet

What do you guys think of these?

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

can't believe nyc won't have an intro sommelier course.

i love reading the wine bible, but holy crap will never learn all the italian grapes and what towns they come from.

as a side how do you pronounce mosel? i heard somebody say something like muzzle today and I had to think about it for a bit.

3. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

muzzle but with an oh instead of the u

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

[​IMG] Loved it. Bought a case. $30
    Had this recently. Absolutely incredible. Thanks for reminding me. Would buy again. Need to buy again. Must buy again. What time does the wine store open again?

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

We went through a lot of booze tonight. 3 bottles of Laurent Perrier NV, two bottles of Domain Terrebrune Bandol Blanc 2009, 2 magnums of Gros Nore Bandol Rouge 2001, most of a bottle of Coeur de Lion 1960 Calvados. Hope to sleep well.

6. ama

ama Senior member

^ sounds great. Hope the morning treats you well!

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

^ sounds great. Hope the morning treats you well!
    It's not. [​IMG]

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG]

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Damn brah, that's epic drunk, unless you had a lot of help drinking that.

Last night had a little WA blend, Recess Red. Syrah, Cab S., Petite Verdot, Grenache and something else.

Btw, did you know Petite Syrah is not related to Syrah? I'm going to be full of useless wine knowledge with this reading. [​IMG]

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

It's not. [​IMG]

If you are sitting upright at the keyboard ... teh winn.

11. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

[​IMG]

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i love reading the wine bible, but holy crap will never learn all the italian grapes and what towns they come from.

i can't name most of the grapes and i'm decent with Italian wines. My advice: forget about the grapes, focus on the region only. And drink it more. Buy a Soave and drink it. Buy a Gavi and drink it. Buy a vermentino (grape) from Bolgheri and drink it, then try one from Sicily.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Damn brah, that's epic drunk, unless you had a lot of help drinking that. Last night had a little WA blend, Recess Red. Syrah, Cab S., Petite Verdot, Grenache and something else. Btw, did you know Petite Syrah is not related to Syrah? I'm going to be full of useless wine knowledge with this reading. [​IMG]
    I was reading about this (the subject came up in all 3 books i have). It's a little confusing, but what is called petite syrah is one of four possibilities. 1) it's a field blend of many grape varieties. in california in the late late 1800s and early 1900s a type of syrah that had small grapes were cultivated (petite= small). as is customary back then so called petite syrah vineyards were labeled petite syrah but contained a variety of other grapes to make a field blend. over time with new vinyards started from cuttings of those vines what was petite syrah became less clear. 2) it's durif which is a cross pollination between syrah and peloursin. this is most likely, but i'm not sure if durif is the old days petite syrah. 3 and 4) it's old syrah or old peloursin. supposedly difficult to identify from each other when the vines are old really and are labeled petite syrah. Durif is a descendant of syrah, but is not syrah. what's supposedly pretty clear is that they taste different.
    i can't name most of the grapes and i'm decent with Italian wines. My advice: forget about the grapes, focus on the region only. And drink it more. Buy a Soave and drink it. Buy a Gavi and drink it. Buy a vermentino (grape) from Bolgheri and drink it, then try one from Sicily.
    her recommendations are so evil. she has mouthwatering write ups and descriptions of how passionately the wine is made, how much effort and time and care going into making then, and then when you search the prices they make you go [​IMG] -_- she recommends you get petrus and d'yqem in the bordeaux chapter and gaja's barbaresco in the piedmont chapter. cheapest one i had an interest in finding was jermanns' vintage tunina and that's still $60. this an expensive (albeit delicious) hobby.

15. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Very nice bottle last night paired with roasted carrot risotto...

[​IMG]