• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official THRIFT STORE tips and best practices thread

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If something is overpriced, I just come back next week and hope it has been marked down. If it's no longer there, then it has sold and I guess... wasn't so overpriced after all? Yeah, it sucks seeing something really nice priced like it's ebay, but at the same time, the store (assuming being run for a charity) has a duty to get the most they can for their donations. I'm not going to rip their tags off... I have complained to the manager before though.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
What a nice bit of Christmas spirit in this post. I commend thee idfnl!
worship.gif
The "Be Humble" works like a charm as well. Just dress down in some old jeans and a sweater or t-shirt.

Are you out of your mind? How else will people who shop there because they are poor know that you are not there for the same reason
eh.gif
sly.gif
devil.gif

jobro

Reaction score
Usually an overpriced item is priced by an unknowing ex-junky. If all the items in the store were priced by the same person then it would be a different story, its only a problem when the items are priced in dribbs and drabbs by different people. An over priced item stands out like a sore thumb when its in a shopful of standard price thift store items.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
Generally speaking, when I see a price on the tag in a store that I wouldn't be willing to pay, I leave the item behind. I don't switch the tags in an attempt to scam the store out of money.

Especially when the store is a non-profit, run to help addicts in recovery and indigents.

Your line between pocketing ties and switching price tags is ridiculous, and it seems to be fueled by an almost unfathomable sense of entitlement. Seriously pathetic.

I disagree here. There is a difference between stealing and thrift store disobidence.

The point I made originally is that SOME thrift stores have developed an attitude... you know the ones, they ALWAYS seem to have things priced too high and WONT negotiate the price?? Those are the ones I am discussing. There is one store I go to sometimes that always has good prices but occasionaly has an item where I think, hmm, thats pushing it, but I dont make the rip because I know they are fair.

Its the unfair thrifts that need to be put back in line.

Look, I dont pretend this is best behavior, but also dont pretend the thrift store manager doesent have a hand in this. And recall, ladies, this is USED **** WE ARE TALKING ABOUT --**** someone saw fit to throw away for a tax break, and DEAD PEOPLES CLOTHES we are buying!!! And a reasonable business should be willing to listen to you when you say its overpriced and take a better price... but some stores wont... those are the ones that need straightening out. I try the honest avenues but sometimes you gotta resort.

Lastly, there are thrifts popping up allover that have nothing to do with 'charity. Under the covers... they may technically be a non-profit... but rest assured that pockets are filling up.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
And recall, ladies, this is USED **** WE ARE TALKING ABOUT --**** someone saw fit to throw away for a tax break, and DEAD PEOPLES CLOTHES we are buying!!! And a reasonable business should be willing to listen to you when you say its overpriced and take a better price... but some stores wont... those are the ones that need straightening out..

Yet YOU still want to buy them? Because, lemme guess, the same stuff would cost significantly more on eBay and other alternatives? Cry me a river.

Also, you hardly get to negotiate prices in ANY stores, ever. Stop trying to justify this ****.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Yet YOU still want to buy them? Because, lemme guess, the same stuff would cost significantly more on eBay and other alternatives? Cry me a river.

Also, you hardly get to negotiate prices in ANY stores, ever. Stop trying to justify this ****.

Yes, I do still want it... but at fair value.

And thats just NOT true, I negotiate at all levels of retail stores. In fact its rare they wont haggle. All you have to do is act hesitant about buying it and say "well, I'll buy it if you take 10% off"... works a charm.

I am not justiftying anything, I dont claim its right or nice or fair, it's a way to fight a trend. If you dont agree, dont do it.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Yes, I do still want it... but at fair value.

And thats just NOT true, I negotiate at all levels of retail stores. In fact its rare they wont haggle. All you have to do is act hesitant about buying it and say "well, I'll buy it if you take 10% off"... works a charm.

I am not justiftying anything, I dont claim its right or nice or fair, it's a way to fight a trend. If you dont agree, dont do it.

I hate this passage even more than I hate your original post.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevp1
The thrift store is there, yes, to provide low cost goods to the poor, but even if better off folk make purchases, the money usually goes to another good program the store is involved with, even if that's providing a salary to the people that work there. So I would think they don't mind anyone shopping there, rich or poor. Everyone benefits.

I think most thrift stores around here exist to support charitable organizations and to provide job training for the less skilled and the disabled. I'm not sure it's too important to them who is buying it. The more they sell, the better

That being said, I think there is a difference between someone who is pinching every jacket to see if it is canvassed and someone who needs some warm shoes so they don't get frostbite at the bus stop. I think thrift stores can serve both markets equally well, and are a great service in every facet of their business.

BTW, switching prices and ripping off tags is not only stealing, it's stealing from a charity. For shame.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Are you out of your mind? How else will people who shop there because they are poor know that you are not there for the same reason
eh.gif
sly.gif
devil.gif

Haha, I think it just helps with the "get friendly with the employees" aspect of Thrifting. They aren't likely to easily open up to someone who is dressed in a 3 piece suit with a fedora and Dunhill brief... Besides, as a recent college grad, I AM poor...compared to most on SF at any rate... *EDIT* I do recall in the other Official Thrift Thread that someone once asked a higher up in a charitable organization if they cared that many items are being bought by those who don't have the need: Ebay Flippers, people looking for deals, and the like. The response was that they don't care *WHO* buys the stuff, as long as someone is. Otherwise if an item sits on the shelves too long, no matter how nice it is, it will eventually get trashed.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
*EDIT* I do recall in the other Official Thrift Thread that someone once asked a higher up in a charitable organization if they cared that many items are being bought by those who don't have the need: Ebay Flippers, people looking for deals, and the like. The response was that they don't care *WHO* buys the stuff, as long as someone is. Otherwise if an item sits on the shelves too long, no matter how nice it is, it will eventually get trashed.

Goodwill is my favorite thrift store and the one I know the most about. It does provide the less fortunate with the chance to buy cheap clothes, but its bigger mission is to give jobs and job training to people who otherwise couldn't get them. My father is a special ed teacher, and a lot of his ex-students have found work there at one time or another. The more merchandise the move, the better they can accomplish this, so any shopping done there is good in my opinion.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
Goodwill is my favorite thrift store and the one I know the most about. It does provide the less fortunate with the chance to buy cheap clothes, but its bigger mission is to give jobs and job training to people who otherwise couldn't get them. My father is a special ed teacher, and a lot of his ex-students have found work there at one time or another. The more merchandise the move, the better they can accomplish this, so any shopping done there is good in my opinion.

A downside of this is that most people working there should not be allowed to work in customer service in the first place...Nothing wrong with mentally marsupialed people getting jobs but instead neochristian ex junkies occupy all the positions and not only do I not want any help from them but even the way they handle merchandise is just embarrassing.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A downside of this is that most people working there should not be allowed to work in customer service in the first place...Nothing wrong with mentally marsupialed people getting jobs but instead neochristian ex junkies occupy all the positions and not only do I not want any help from them but even the way they handle merchandise is just embarrassing.

Damn, some people in here are just cold.

God forbid someone should try to turn their life around.

My father was a drug-addicted, homeless alcoholic when he was in his early 30s. He got into recovery and is now the chairman of a major NGO doing international aid work in third world countries. If a charity can't give people a second chance, who will?

And this is because you don't like how they handle the merchandise? What do they do, rub a bible on it until it's permanently stained by morality?

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I disagree here. There is a difference between stealing and thrift store disobidence.

The point I made originally is that SOME thrift stores have developed an attitude... you know the ones, they ALWAYS seem to have things priced too high and WONT negotiate the price?? Those are the ones I am discussing. There is one store I go to sometimes that always has good prices but occasionaly has an item where I think, hmm, thats pushing it, but I dont make the rip because I know they are fair.

Its the unfair thrifts that need to be put back in line.

Look, I dont pretend this is best behavior, but also dont pretend the thrift store manager doesent have a hand in this. And recall, ladies, this is USED **** WE ARE TALKING ABOUT --**** someone saw fit to throw away for a tax break, and DEAD PEOPLES CLOTHES we are buying!!! And a reasonable business should be willing to listen to you when you say its overpriced and take a better price... but some stores wont... those are the ones that need straightening out. I try the honest avenues but sometimes you gotta resort.

Lastly, there are thrifts popping up allover that have nothing to do with 'charity. Under the covers... they may technically be a non-profit... but rest assured that pockets are filling up.

Straightening out? Seriously? Because they want to decide how much to charge for their goods?

If you don't like the prices a business is charging, you don't buy the item. You don't try to defraud the business! Of course, that applies whether or not the business is a non-profit, but in the non-profit case, it's doubly immoral and shameful.

You're a pathetic guy, who has the self-regard to defraud charities.

stevp1

Reaction score

Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
Damn, some people in here are just cold.

God forbid someone should try to turn their life around.

My father was a drug-addicted, homeless alcoholic when he was in his early 30s. He got into recovery and is now the chairman of a major NGO doing international aid work in third world countries. If a charity can't give people a second chance, who will?

And this is because you don't like how they handle the merchandise? What do they do, rub a bible on it until it's permanently stained by morality?

+1

That was just cold. You want properly pinned and folded shirts or stylish mannequins, go to Niemans. This is a thrift store we're talking about. Yes, some of them are lucky to be able to get a jacket on a hanger, but at least they're trying to work for a living. And what's "neochristian" got to do with buying used clothes? That's an awful intolerant thing to say.

And I think we're waaaaaay of the intended topic of this thread now.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevp1
+1 That was just cold. You want properly pinned and folded shirts or stylish mannequins, go to Niemans. This is a thrift store we're talking about. Yes, some of them are lucky to be able to get a jacket on a hanger, but at least they're trying to work for a living. And what's "neochristian" got to do with buying used clothes? That's an awful intolerant thing to say. And I think we're waaaaaay of the intended topic of this thread now.
Yea..cold..whatever. I am all for giving the homeless a chance but I expect when someone shows up to work for them to be clean, neat, and not offensive to the customers. I expect the same from normal people all the time but the homeless do have it tough,yet it is a job after all. While I might sound judgmental and don't get me wrong a lot of homeless people are intelligent and well mannered I am sick oh hearing that "he knocked that ***** up while he was phased out on ex and how that ***** stole his bible and now holds it ransom till he gives her back his pipe." No, it is not what most homeless people are like but I have seen these employees and have heard similar conversations numerally and it pisses me off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads