• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official THRIFT STORE tips and best practices thread

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevp1
In a few of the stores I've been in, I've seen various items of clothing from a brand "Savile Row". Does this line actually have anything to do with the real Row? Or is it just a brand name somebody hooked on to? Is it quality stuff? i've seen shirts, jackets and other things.

Just wondering.

Actually, I have discovered numerous saville row brands out there.

I dont know about the origins, but I thrifted one saville row shirt which seemed quite well made. The label said "the saville row company" on it, and the shirt was made in ireland.

I suspect you are talking about the brand "saville row" which I think is shite. I think all the made in tags say china or whatever.

I doubt any of these labels have anything to do with saville row. I think generally you will have the maker and then 'of saville row' or something if it were from there. I have one Gieves and Hawkes jacket which says that.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
  • Check dress shirts carefully. The most common place for damage is the collar. I do the following:
    • Inspect the neck for yellowing. This is very hard to get out, I dont buy it if its yellowed. Check all the hard edges for damage, often times its hard to spot but is the reason the shirt is there
    • Inspect those pits, I have been in line at the checkout before when the shirt turns over and I realize I was about to buy someone's pit cheese.
    • If the material is thin or if the tags are washed out, it means its been worn, and worn and worn some more... leave it - EVEN IF ITS A CHARVET, a worn out shirt looks like total ****
    • Pocket stains are obvious, but not on a dark shirt, look at the front pocket
    • Check the sleeves for damage, frayed edges, missing buttons and broken buttons.
    • Front buttons are usually not missing, but the one most often missing is the one at the bottom that gets tucked in. I also check for bad replacement buttons.
    • Are the extra buttons still there? If so, button problems are not a big deal.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
  • Check dress shirts carefully. The most common place for damage is the collar. I do the following:
    • Inspect the neck for yellowing. This is very hard to get out, I dont buy it if its yellowed. Check all the hard edges for damage, often times its hard to spot but is the reason the shirt is there
    • Inspect those pits, I have been in line at the checkout before when the shirt turns over and I realize I was about to buy someone's pit cheese.
    • If the material is thin or if the tags are washed out, it means its been worn, and worn and worn some more... leave it - EVEN IF ITS A CHARVET, a worn out shirt looks like total ****
    • Check the sleeves for damage, frayed edges, missing buttons and broken buttons.
    • Front buttons are usually not missing, but the one most often missing is the one at the bottom that gets tucked in. I also check for bad replacement buttons.

• Good info here.
  • Some laughs as well.
  • Your avatar still creeps me out.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
For collar yellowing use Zote (or similar) soap and a nail brush. Work with it gently for awhile, let soak, work again, wash. You'll be surprised what will come out with that. I stole the method from one of the old Kabbaz shirt care threads.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To OP and jinda, are you guys from NoVA? Which stores do you go to? I'd just like to know so that whenever I visit home I can go do some thrifting. Not much to do otherwise. Thanks.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl

Also, for double-cuff shirts, check for wear along the fold of the cuffs. This is not necessarily a deal-breaker as cuffs can be turned, but it will add to the cost. Also check the back of the cuff to be sure that it has not been turned once already!

On collars, I find the main wear points are on the fold and at the points (the latter especially if the shirt takes stiff removable collar stays.) I have also once or twice come across a situation where a thrify former owner has had the collar itself turned. This is generally only possible with shirts with set-in stays but is probably in itself cause to reconsider the purchase.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
To OP and jinda, are you guys from NoVA? Which stores do you go to? I'd just like to know so that whenever I visit home I can go do some thrifting. Not much to do otherwise. Thanks.
Yup - I'm from Vienna. The shops I hit on a frequent basis are Yesterday's Rose on Main Street in Fairfax (went yesterday but only left with some magazines), Unique in Merrifield (although their prices are sometimes laughable), and all the Goodwills (Route 50, Columbia Pike, Glebe Road, Sterling, Manassas, Rockville, Dakota Ave. in D.C., etc.) and Salvation Armys (Herndon, Manassas, Route 236, Gaithersburg, etc.) I don't bother with the little thrift shops like "Treasure Trove" in McLean or "Pennywise" in Vienna -- you know the kind that are staffed entirely by octogenarian volunteers and are the size of a one bedroom apartment -- it's just not worth the effort because the selection of clothes is too tiny. Although Pennywise will always hold a special place in my heart -- I remember my mother taking me there when I was a young child.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus

amerikajinda has got the majority of them.

The Unique stores are way overpriced and getting worse, they were the source of my tag rip scheme. There are 3 more uniques, one in wheaton, adelphi and silver spring. They are overpriced but weed out much of the junk you see at goodwill and the like.

There were some thrifts I used to go to in DC, but its been years so I dont even know if there are there, a couple on Georgia ave, if I recall, one on 14th st.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
For collar yellowing use Zote (or similar) soap and a nail brush. Work with it gently for awhile, let soak, work again, wash. You'll be surprised what will come out with that. I stole the method from one of the old Kabbaz shirt care threads.

Originally Posted by Nataku
I've also used Lestoil on yellowing. Works wonders. Scrub it in with a brush, let it soak in for about 10 minutes, then wash as normal.

I've saved quite a few nice shirts others probably passed up by doing this.

Cool, no idea this was possible... I have passed up many shirts because I thought this was permanent... I will try it and see if I get a result.

devin

Reaction score
I've also had success making a slurry with color safe bleach (powder), rubbing that into a stain, and then washing as normal. Managed to remove a pretty hard set stain on the placket of shirt. The slurry is abrasive, so you can work the stain a bit with your fingers to get the scrubbing action.

trewells

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allreds
Make nice with the staff.
Policies are often flexible for a friendly regular.

I made this mistake once. I sweet talked the cute cashier and asked her to pull nice stuff aside for me. I'm a eBay seller and this store usually gets nice items. She got upset when she asked me to take her out and I informed her I have a serious girlfriend that I would be proposing to soon. She made a huge scene on me and I had to call the manager!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads