• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official THRIFT STORE tips and best practices thread

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Cool, no idea this was possible... I have passed up many shirts because I thought this was permanent... I will try it and see if I get a result.

Also try an overnight (or 24 hours) soak in Oxyclean. That stuff really works. I think it was VMan who posted an Oxyclean tutorial a couple of years ago. I don't know if that thread still exists or not.

pejsek

Reaction score
Thrifting is all about karma, history, and the mystery and wonder of far-off lands and vanished worlds. There's something really great about giving stuff away. Aside from the momentary thrill of getting someone to actually take your unwanted stuff--I always feel like I'm pulling a fast one--there's a true sense of satisfaction in sending once-treasured things off on a new and uncertain adventure. You have to give to get.

I try to live by the Old School Thrift Code (OSTC), the norms developed when old unwanted stuff was just...old unwanted stuff. Above all, play clean and play fair. No pulling or switching tags and, obviously, no stealing. Also no sleazy side deals or kickbacks to thrift store workers--no quicker way to kill the golden goose. Don't flaunt your good luck. Treat the find or score with the proper sense of wonder and responsibility. We are all but custodians. And most of all, don't be greedy and turn the whole thing into an exercise in vulgar materialism. Buy according to your own authentic interests and standards. Don't pounce on something just because it's valuable and has resale value. Thrift store arbitrage will eventually kill the thrifts. It's already happening, but no need to speed the demise. Last year I bought two great Poltrona Frau armchairs at the Goodwill for $35 each. But I left two more for someone else and, just as importantly, as a sort of offering to and acknowledgment of the thrift store gods. I'm not necessarily against reselling--it can be a perfectly valid way to rescue and preserve things; think about NOS Nettleton shell cordovan shoes on appreciative feet. But reselling must be done in a way that respects the integrity of the donated objects. Hoovering stuff up to take a flyer on ebay is a sad, soul-less spectacle. There's a Russian couple who frequent the Goodwills here, parking themselves in front of the back doors and ruthlessly pouncing on carts and racks as they come out on the floor. Everything gets squirreled away in their dreary canvas totes before showing up on ebay a few days later. They have no interest in the stuff aside from value; and they aren't really sure of value until s.thing sells or doesn't. A karmic comeuppance is surely in the works (not that that's any of my concern). Thankfully, the thrift universe is still vast and varied enough to withstand such malevolent forces.

Where else are you going to find old Savile Row suits and bespoke shoes? The thrill of the hunt is often its own reward and you are sure to go down paths never imagined. I've even thrifted a few Anna Matuozzo bespoke shirts (surely iammatt's quiet contribution to the karmic chain). Like all human endeavor thrifting is a blank canvas for expression. Do it in a noble and expansive way. Avoid the temptation to be pinched and mean. That way lies madness. Really.

emptym

Reaction score
^+1. And great post, pejek. I've been really enjoying the SF thrift stores.
I agree w/ you and YoungAmerican that it's not good to mess w/ tags, etc. If they can sell the item for that price, great for them. If they can't, it'll be reduced.
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Another great post. You might want to post it in the recent thread where Doc and others offered good advice.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Thrifting is all about karma, history, and the mystery and wonder of far-off lands and vanished worlds. There's something really great about giving stuff away. Aside from the momentary thrill of getting someone to actually take your unwanted stuff--I always feel like I'm pulling a fast one--there's a true sense of satisfaction in sending once-treasured things off on a new and uncertain adventure. You have to give to get.

Welcome back P.

Your name has come up in the "Missing Posters Thread"

Is it true that pejsek translates to "Noble King of Thrifting" in Romanian?

Reaction score
Exactly what Pejsek said. Over here in the UK charity shops (thrift shops in all but name) are generally absolutely picked clean while Ebay is clagged up with semi-professionals hawking items described in sickeningly gushing prose. I hold my hands up, I've flipped stuff but finally realising how much it pissed me off to see the things that make charity shops special ruthlessly hoovered onto Ebay I just took it all back. Gave it away. Not too sound like too sanctamonious but it was lovely to think that someone else will find a Savile Row 3 piece suit for pennies or that someone will finally get their hands on a the hideous 80's cut Harris Tweed jacket that I spent a weekend altering to fit.

Tearing off tags? Get a grip, the thrift store is just there. It doesn't owe you. Whether we pay top dollar for it or get it second hand we wear nice stuff to feel good about ourselves. How that ties in with treating what's essentially a charity like your own private fiefdom just seems to sort of miss the point a bit.

pejsek

Reaction score
Thanks Alan and rnoldh for the welcome back. I've still been thrifting, of course--just giving the posting about thrifting a break. But it's been getting tough and bleak out there. A number of stores have gone under here in the last year due to donations drying up.

Not exactly sure what pejsek means in Romanian. In Czech it's the diminutive and endearing form of dog (pes). And since the Czechs love their dogs so much that they carry them around in baskets on the bus and metro, every dog is a cute and lovable little dog. Kazdy pes je pejsek. Just ask Vaclav.

And, Timothy, your post renews my faith in the goodness of the true thrifter. We all win when we leave something for someone else. Greed is better off finding another palette.

I must say, Night Owl, that I don't really agree with you about mack. He knows and loves his stuff, doesn't seem to ask for more than a fair price, and I can't imagine him pulling any shenanigans at the thrift. Much of that stuff would not be appreciated as much were it not to pass through his hands. It's a fine line, but I'm sure mack is a fully paid up member of the secretive carny-like thrifting fraternity.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, pejsek, I agree with a lot of what you say about the karma of thrifting, but also disagree somewhat on the general condemnation of resellers. I spend a lot of time thrifting - a lot - and do pretty well on Ebay for myself. However, I'm not doing it simply for the money - I really enjoy clothing, I enjoy the treasure hunt, and it is a pretty convenient way to help me pay for clothing I like while not going broke trying to put myself through college. To me, the thrift store is a level playing field in the sense that anybody can go there any time and buy anything they want. If you want the good stuff, you have to be A. lucky and B. persistent. Let's be honest, you can spend a ridiculous amount of time thrifting, and the chances of finding something that actually fits you (and is really nice) is not particularly high. At least, the chances are not high for me - then again I am an awkward size. Reselling stuff allows me to place awesome items in the hands of buyers that would probably not be inclined to go to a thrift store and look for it themselves (or simply not have the time to devote), while then taking the money and getting stuff for myself that I would otherwise not be able to afford. I like to view it as saving clothes, and putting them in the hands of people that will truly appreciate them. After all, who is going to appreciate that vintage Saville Row suit more: the guy who unwittingly picks it up in a thrift for an interview suit that he will wear once and then mothball, or the guy that goes to the effort to seek it out on Ebay? Maybe I am wrong, but to me if anything I am providing a service to people that love clothes. Mutually beneficial, as they say
smile.gif

spitfire86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
Eh, pejsek, I agree with a lot of what you say about the karma of thrifting, but also disagree somewhat on the general condemnation of resellers. I spend a lot of time thrifting - a lot - and do pretty well on Ebay for myself. However, I'm not doing it simply for the money - I really enjoy clothing, I enjoy the treasure hunt, and it is a pretty convenient way to help me pay for clothing I like while not going broke trying to put myself through college. To me, the thrift store is a level playing field in the sense that anybody can go there any time and buy anything they want. If you want the good stuff, you have to be A. lucky and B. persistent.

Let's be honest, you can spend a ridiculous amount of time thrifting, and the chances of finding something that actually fits you (and is really nice) is not particularly high. At least, the chances are not high for me - then again I am an awkward size. Reselling stuff allows me to place awesome items in the hands of buyers that would probably not be inclined to go to a thrift store and look for it themselves (or simply not have the time to devote), while then taking the money and getting stuff for myself that I would otherwise not be able to afford.

I like to view it as saving clothes, and putting them in the hands of people that will truly appreciate them. After all, who is going to appreciate that vintage Saville Row suit more: the guy who unwittingly picks it up in a thrift for an interview suit that he will wear once and then mothball, or the guy that goes to the effort to seek it out on Ebay? Maybe I am wrong, but to me if anything I am providing a service to people that love clothes. Mutually beneficial, as they say
smile.gif

Perfect Economic Logic I must say. If there's a market than why not? But then again economics never takes into account ethics morals or values!

Night Owl

Reaction score
Thanks Alan and rnoldh for the welcome back. I've still been thrifting, of course--just giving the posting about thrifting a break. But it's been getting tough and bleak out there. A number of stores have gone under here in the last year due to donations drying up.

Not exactly sure what pejsek means in Romanian. In Czech it's the diminutive and endearing form of dog (pes). And since the Czechs love their dogs so much that they carry them around in baskets on the bus and metro, every dog is a cute and lovable little dog. Kazdy pes je pejsek. Just ask Vaclav.

And, Timothy, your post renews my faith in the goodness of the true thrifter. We all win when we leave something for someone else. Greed is better off finding another palette.

I must say, Night Owl, that I don't really agree with you about mack. He knows and loves his stuff, doesn't seem to ask for more than a fair price, and I can't imagine him pulling any shenanigans at the thrift. Much of that stuff would not be appreciated as much were it not to pass through his hands. It's a fine line, but I'm sure mack is a fully paid up member of the secretive carny-like thrifting fraternity.

That line must be microscopic because I'm not seeing it.

If you're buying clothes at the thrift store to sell on eBay then you're certainly buying "just because it's valuable and has resale value." No free passes for your efriends. Frankly I don't even have a big problem with it.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Mack acquires things that he has a real interest in and knowledge about. He then passes them on to people who appreciate the quality as well
and his prices are reasonable.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
+1 on all that mainy said. I don't think pejsek has a problem with those of us who do this. I certainly benefit from other guys who thrift and sell. Almost all of my selling is done on the forums to others who appreciate the stuff.

Originally Posted by mainy
Eh, pejsek, I agree with a lot of what you say about the karma of thrifting, but also disagree somewhat on the general condemnation of resellers. I spend a lot of time thrifting - a lot - and do pretty well on Ebay for myself. However, I'm not doing it simply for the money - I really enjoy clothing, I enjoy the treasure hunt, and it is a pretty convenient way to help me pay for clothing I like while not going broke trying to put myself through college. To me, the thrift store is a level playing field in the sense that anybody can go there any time and buy anything they want. If you want the good stuff, you have to be A. lucky and B. persistent.

Let's be honest, you can spend a ridiculous amount of time thrifting, and the chances of finding something that actually fits you (and is really nice) is not particularly high. At least, the chances are not high for me - then again I am an awkward size. Reselling stuff allows me to place awesome items in the hands of buyers that would probably not be inclined to go to a thrift store and look for it themselves (or simply not have the time to devote), while then taking the money and getting stuff for myself that I would otherwise not be able to afford.

I like to view it as saving clothes, and putting them in the hands of people that will truly appreciate them. After all, who is going to appreciate that vintage Saville Row suit more: the guy who unwittingly picks it up in a thrift for an interview suit that he will wear once and then mothball, or the guy that goes to the effort to seek it out on Ebay? Maybe I am wrong, but to me if anything I am providing a service to people that love clothes. Mutually beneficial, as they say
smile.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I certainly benefit from other guys who thrift and sell. Almost all of my selling is done on the forums to others who appreciate the stuff.

+1

The profits from the stuff I sell either go to alterations costs on thrifted items I keep or to other clothing purchases. I appreciate the clothes themselves, hence my ability to save the nice items and bring them to those who will give them a loving home.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question for everyone...

I see suit vests sometimes and I a guessing some of them are really nice.

How do you determine a quality vest?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads