• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh god. Lutefisk looks disgusting! Nataku, isn't that festival in MN for all that stuff?

Haha! Not entirely sure, but I wouldn't doubt it. It's a common dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas here in Minnesota. I've personally never had it but my grandparents (Norwegian and Swedish) made it. I recall the small being putrid but was told it tastes better than it smells. So I'm assuming it tastes similar to a pair of sweaty gym socks rather than decomposing fish soaking in vinegar.

Back in the old days they are it quite a bit. Beef was a cash crop - they sold it and rarely ate it. There are many lakes here and white fish are plenty. They were soaked in lye to preserve them.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Haha! Not entirely sure, but I wouldn't doubt it. It's a common dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas here in Minnesota. I've personally never had it but my grandparents (Norwegian and Swedish) made it. I recall the small being putrid but was told it tastes better than it smells. So I'm assuming it tastes similar to a pair of sweaty gym socks rather than decomposing fish soaking in vinegar.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/12/05/good-question-why-is-the-lutefisk-tradition-so-big-in-mn/

nhindian

Reaction score
Quiet day today. Struck out almost completely on clothing. Found a pair of AE Maxfield but passed..

Most things available.

Z Zegna City sportcoat. Only bought it because it was my size.

Found a ton of ties though.

Robert Talbott Best of Class

Zegna

Tino Cosina and Andrew's

Brook's Brothers Makers (tagged Woven in England)

Brook's Brothers Makers (tagged Printed in Italy)

Brook's Brothers Makers

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, ya know, I should probably try it one of these days. Just to say I've tried it.

I saw it in the cooler at Ingbretsen's in Minneapolis when I was there last winter. I did not try it. Fortunately (?) my brother's wife's family is of German extraction despite living in upstate Minnesota.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats LP, loro?

But I'm curious, do you guys look for lps strictly for your own collection?

I do,
biggrin.gif

And i had to pass on these as they were too small....

-almost every thrifted item is for my own collection.
tongue.gif

Last edited:

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't caught up yet been out for a while

Had some paypal troubles got resolved

Been staying away from thrifting to focus on other aspects of life

It's all consuming , now I have a lot more time, time to get back In shape

I expect you guys to keep the thrift fight going!
Keep hunting

Erichmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
New to thrifting. Got a couple of questions:

Where are you guys selling these items to make a profit?
Is there a price guide for used items?
What are some brands that I should on the look out for? I see a lot of Brook Brothers dress shirts and Faconnable at my local thrift shop. Are these good to pick up?
What kind of used clothing is most in demand?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

PM sent :hide:
well, its good but you're speaking some **** right thur.

I'm just sayin'...if Waffle House served scrapple, I'd probably go there and never leave.

Figured you would have, it being a PA thang...  

DuPar's in Vegas trumps Waffle House 10 times out of 10 when it comes to pancakes or French toast - it's that good (I think they're using the same griddle grease from 1952); but by God I'll never eat scrapple again.  Pig heads and stinky pinks and who knows what else goes into that! Then again, I've had Lutefisk and didn't think it was so bad, so I'm not exactly the Anthony Bourdain of the thread.  

**** PA scrapple. They don't know what they are doing. Haven't found any decent stuff since moving here 9 years ago. Not the mention, they don't know how to eat it right either. They look at you like you've got three eyeballs if you try to order a scrapple egg and cheese sandwich. I like syrup on my pancakes, waffles and even my sausage from time to time, but for heavens sake get away from my scrapple with that **** you crazy Yankees. Eastern Shore (DE) scrapple is the only stuff for me.

Last edited:

richnet12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New to thrifting. Got a couple of questions:

Where are you guys selling these items to make a profit?
Is there a price guide for used items?
What are some brands that I should on the look out for? I see a lot of Brook Brothers dress shirts and Faconnable at my local thrift shop. Are these good to pick up?
What kind of used clothing is most in demand?

The stakes are high when thrifting so make the best of it while you can ...pass up the BB shirts (unless Sea Island Cotton) and take to reading the Thrifters Thread as its the beast way to learn the vernacular and the brands to pickup. Its a learned skill.
Check Ebay for prices and popularity as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78