• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolfan954

Reaction score
A few things I've found lately. All available for trades (1 pair of Ravazzolos)

My first RLPL anything. Just a polo, and it's missing a button, but it's RLPL. M

A pair of Ravazzolo pants with the lining cut out. The best part is they actually fit. I found these last week and returned to the store this week and found an identical pair with the lining intact.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

AE Dryden in 12 EEE In pretty good shape too.

A pretty sweet unknown safari jacket. Fits me almost perfectly, but I really have no clue what I would use it for. Probably a long shot but does anyone know who made it based on styling and stuff? There were only two tags in the thing, one which said 36L and the other that has faded too much to be read. Might do well on ebay or something. If not, I guess I can be that dude from Jumanji next Halloween.

Ermenegildo Zegna microtene 10,000 weather system jacket. Anyone seen these before? It looks like they do fairly well on ebay. The fabric is pretty cool and it's covered with Ermenegildo Zegna branded buttons. Zipper is on the left though, which was strange. L

Trafalgar belt in decent shape if anyone wants for cost+shipping. 38

Some blue Bonobos athletic boot cut in a 32x34. Also available for cost+shipping.

Man if those AE's were a little narrower....

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a really really ****** week and have not at all been in the mood to thrift, but I had to go to the DMV pretty far from my house yesterday and I hit a shop nearby. About this place: it's pretty much the outskirts separating "rural, but still resembles society" from "booneytown." I never go there because it's a tiny town and I just couldn't imagine it ever yielding anything. The shop is run by two sweet old women who had to take a minute to figure out how to use the POS system since it gets used so infrequently (I imagine their customer base is exclusively other cash-paying retirees). Well, found this much to my surprise. N/A:

Gorgeous grey herringbone with a blue windowpane check, 3/2, side vented, button fly/flat front trousers. Oh, and the kicker: cost? Goose egg. Yep, completely free. They had some tag deal going on where if you bought 3 green tags, you got a white tag free. I didn't even realize it when I went to check out, but I got three other items that were all green tagged so it didn't cost me a dime. Insane.

Looked up the owner (who has since passed) - apparently he lived to the north of this town in the "booneytown" area I described...and at one point was the wealthiest person in my state, worth north of $200 million. Boggles the mind.

Then today still wasn't really planning on hitting shops but I was out running errands and didn't have anything better to do and hit a haunt that has been pretty dry so I haven't gone lately. Mind totally blown again when I found this. N/A:

Perfect condition. Adjustable wrist buckles, brass buckle belt, "ribbed" sleeve inner lining, throat latch, removable buttoned brushed cotton neck piece with leather trim....This thing has more moving parts than the Space Shuttle, it's amazing. Tons of pockets, buttons, flaps, etc. It's the first W&G piece I've ever seen that I actually want to keep for myself (which I'm going to be doing for as long as I possibly can).

Last edited:

Vintage Leather

Reaction score

I left work at 3:30 for good, so I'm now unemployed until Monday. After two+ years, my boss simply shook my hand and told me good luck. Whatever, dude. The worst part is my replacement is literally making a house down payment more than I was simply because he's been a B2B journalist for 10 more years. Does he have a master's degree? Nope. What about web experience, or knowledge of InDesign? Nope. Knowledge of the industry? Nope.  

If it's any comfort, I gave my notice Monday, and my boss told me point blank that she was going to hire two people to replace me. One will handle the corporate blog and our social media presence, and the other will be writing new product copy and catalogues.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How the **** does anyone write 2,000 perfect words an hour? Stephen King writes that in a day, and he's the envy of every writer I know (at least as far as speed is concerned :laugh: ).

Teach me, Obi Wan...

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are shell cordovan
Allen Edmonds with the combo heel are always (AFAIK) shell cordovan

I thought so,too, and sent him a PM to that effect. he is catching up with the thrifting scene pretty quick. :thumbs-up:

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Next up we have a couple Sport Coats - I am unsure on them if they were good pickups, so some advice would be appreciated on them

This first one has cloth by Ermenegildo Zegna, Tailored at a local place, Samson Tailors.

In the end, its a bit big in the shoulders for me - looks like it fits as a 42R from what I can tell.  This is available or will be sold if it's worth anything and one here is interested.

(One note, the Jacket is more green than the second picture shows, the actual jacket fabric is closer in looks to the first picture on the edges.)

IMO custom suits from local tailors are seldom worthwhile unless they're from the handful of top-level bespoke makers left in the US. E.g., Despos in Chicago, Field in DC, Centofanti in Philly, several in NYC, etc. I wouldn't pick up a suit from any custom tailor in most cities, no matter how nice the cloth was. And even suits from the top tailors in the US would have limited resale value because none of them have much name recognition.

Damn...it's raining Willis & Geiger! What is that...6 pieces in as many days?

Nothing amazing, but I found a W&G sport shirt yesterday. First I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a really really ****** week and have not at all been in the mood to thrift, but I had to go to the DMV pretty far from my house yesterday and I hit a shop nearby.  About this place: it's pretty much the outskirts separating "rural, but still resembles society" from "booneytown."  I never go there because it's a tiny town and I just couldn't imagine it ever yielding anything.  The shop is run by two sweet old women who had to take a minute to figure out how to use the POS system since it gets used so infrequently (I imagine their customer base is exclusively other cash-paying retirees).  Well, found this much to my surprise.  N/A:

Gorgeous grey herringbone with a blue windowpane check, 3/2, side vented, button fly/flat front trousers.  Oh, and the kicker: cost?  Goose egg.  Yep, completely free.  They had some tag deal going on where if you bought 3 green tags, you got a white tag free.  I didn't even realize it when I went to check out, but I got three other items that were all green tagged so it didn't cost me a dime.  Insane.

Looked up the owner (who has since passed) - apparently he lived to the north of this town in the "booneytown" area I described...and at one point was the wealthiest person in my state, worth north of $200 million.  Boggles the mind.  

Then today still wasn't really planning on hitting shops but I was out running errands and didn't have anything better to do and hit a haunt that has been pretty dry so I haven't gone lately.  Mind totally blown again when I found this.  N/A:

Perfect condition.  Adjustable wrist buckles, brass buckle belt, "ribbed" sleeve inner lining, throat latch, removable buttoned brushed cotton neck piece with leather trim....This thing has more moving parts than the Space Shuttle, it's amazing.  Tons of pockets, buttons, flaps, etc.  It's the first W&G piece I've ever seen that I actually want to keep for myself (which I'm going to be doing for as long as I possibly can).

Wow! I'd go buy a lottery ticket! Amazing luck right there! It's all about being in the right place at the right time.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the ensemble Grendel except the vest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads