1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

@ Mainy: VERY nice! It must have been in a time capsule to look like that after almost 100 years (pre-1924?).

I just came across this online article re: vintage clothing...

10 Reasons Why Vintage Clothing Sucks.

2. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Senior member

Didn't find much today. Only this Brooks Brothers multi-color shirt. Missed the small stain on the pocket. darn it. Size Medium, available. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  3. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

:slayer: I have a similar pair and they're my favourite shoe. NOS from 1984. See the Dack's thread and ManOfLint's tips on keeping them minty. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Picked up a sweet Frank & Oat SC today. Half canvassed, surgeon cuffs, 10$ bill in chest pocket.

Anyone know who tailors the brand? I know it's a subscription based purchase, but I though it was cool. Pics later to come, any info on it now would be appreciated!

5. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

[​IMG] Thanks for the info. I come across Dack's all the time, but never in my size. In the past I have just bought them and given them to friends, they're a fantastic shoe but don't seem to do well resale-wise since the name doesn't have the cachet of an Alden or AE.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Well, I don't brag much about my tweed finds in the summertime, however I do constantly pick them up and store away for future fall bragging.

Today is different. I couldn't bring myself to store this one away without a quick sneak peek.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. aglose

aglose Senior member

me likely size info?

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Oh God.......

:drool:

Incredible find!

9. brianG

brianG Senior member

Probably not worth asking, but available? [​IMG]

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

About a 44 or so.

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Watch out world, we're moving to a house... Twice as much space and a dedicated office for me. This is all win!

1 person likes this.
  12. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Congrats! The wife and I are in the process of purchasing a house as well, which will grant more space!

13. suited

suited Senior member

I just got this thrifted jacket back from the cleaners and they were unsuccessful at getting the stains out. It's a linen and cotton blend. They've been good in the past, but recently I received another stained item back from them that looked like the stain hadn't been touched - I was able to get most of it out with water and a rag. Think it's worth taking to another cleaner? One of the stains is on the very bottom of the jacket, right side. There are more stains around the collar. It's a pretty sweet piece (recent dual vent zegna, working cuffs). I'm leaning towards giving another cleaner a chance. Even with 2 cleanings I'd be into the jacket for less than $25. I would think that linen and cotton would allow them to be more aggressive than they could be with wool?

[​IMG]

14. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

An e-thrift that just arrived. They aren't Common Projects but...
    [​IMG]
    Right neck of the woods
    [​IMG]

Same soles/factory as a matter of fact.
    [​IMG]
    Creative Recreation Turinos for $15 plus shipping seemed like a good deal to me. Especially for the gum rubber version, which isn't made anymore. These will do, until those size 13 Achilles come rolling out on a cart.[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Congrats! We just bought a house last month after a good amount of time in a townhome/condo. What a difference! Not only in space, but upkeep as well! It's well worth it, though.

Same situation for us. I now have a dedicated office, the wife has her dedicated craft room and I can park in the garage and not have my car buried under a snow bank every winter. :bounce2:

1 person likes this.
  16. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

This is the first I've checked the thread in a few days, and I see this.

That thing is fucking sick, and looks brand new. That is effing amazing. Fuck Kiton, THIS is the type of shit I want to find. Awesome find.

17. Amye

Amye Member

Today (San Clemente, CA) Salvation Army: Gorgeous vintage black Genuine ALLIGATOR belt from Wehmeier's Belt Shop, New Orleans, La.

Price.... $1.99
    Whoop! Whoop!

18. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I feel the same way about my cleaner, feels like an accident when they actually do remove a stain. There needs to be a better criteria to pick a cleaner on than being between work and home. Even though that's a really compelling reason...

19. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I hope that chambray shirt gets posted in the vintage thread. I'm with AndroFan: this is what it's all about.

A quick stop tonight before meeting some friends for a drink. Do you ever go in and find something, a hint, that there might be better things to come? I checked out the glasses and there were a lot of cases. Gucci and Versace. So I check the glasses.

Versace with case.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I found I Gianni Versace tie but it had a pull and the price tag (!) poked through the front of it. My palms were beginning to itch.

Then I found this:

[​IMG]

And to top it off, a beautiful Canali Kei Jacket, their unstructured, unlined line. Gorgeous blue-grey linen/silk/silk with huge MOP buttons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ Belt is fake though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.