• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a decent turntable for years and haven't seen $hit. That's the reason I started going to thrift stores in the first place.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to find them pretty often years ago (mostly Technics) but these days it's a rare find indeed. It's tough to even find the garbage Realistic junk from Radio Shack, let alone a Dual or Thorens. I've been lucky to have bought a few to have around the house as these days you have better luck coming across a nice recent Brioni dress shirt in your size than a decent turntable.

One of my grail finds is a Dual 701 I picked up last year. Still has the original box, packing materials and owners manual. The thing is mint. Paid $15 for it. Box is in the crawl space and the TT is hooked up in my record room. Love it!

Last edited:

jamiebryant

Reaction score
Made a stop while running errands today. Five minutes before closing, found this:

"Where there's smoke there's fire" held true. Kept looking, found this:

Holy crap. Two minutes until closing and found these:

"Store is now closed" announcement. Had to check the end of the rack one more time on the way to the register, to make sure I didn't miss anything. Bam:

Best part: the Finamores, Oxxford, and Isaia are 16 35s and fit excellently. Not pictured is a nice Zegna button down, also my size.
bigstar[1].gif
OOOHHHHH, Black Label Finamore too!
Peep the shoulder seams on that ****.

So jealous of this haul!

Although I had my moment a couple of days ago with a haul that fished 3 Borrelli's and a Finamore Black Label, Only 2 of the Borrelli's were able to pass my quality control and will be making it to my virtual sales floor on the 'bay.

Its been dry as **** here the last couple of days. I need to expand or something.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

God damnit! How unlucky do I have to be to have found a single shell shoe?!

Happened to me Paid 60 bucks for a pair of Alden shells at Westport Goodwill for self use, noticed the difference while putting in the trunk, returned it.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to find them pretty often years ago (mostly Technics) but these days it's a rare find indeed. It's tough to even find the garbage Realistic junk from Radio Shack, let alone a Dual or Thorens. I've been lucky to have bought a few to have around the house as these days you have better luck coming across a nice recent Brioni dress shirt in your size than a decent turntable.
One of my grail finds is a Dual 701 I picked up last year. Still has the original box, packing materials and owners manual. The thing is mint. Paid $15 for it. Box is in the crawl space and the TT is hooked up in my record room. Love it!

I managed to stockpile four before the well ran dry. Still run across them once in awhile, though. Aching to try a Yamaha PX-3 linear tracking TT I scored in August on CL for $100. Unfortunately, the dust cover is missing (which I understand is common) and the legs are also missing (which I understand is also common but no big deal). Owing to remodeling, I haven't been able to set it up yet, but I should be good to go by Christmas. Can't wait.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I left work at 3:30 for good, so I'm now unemployed until Monday. After two+ years, my boss simply shook my hand and told me good luck. Whatever, dude. The worst part is my replacement is literally making a house down payment more than I was simply because he's been a B2B journalist for 10 more years. Does he have a master's degree? Nope. What about web experience, or knowledge of InDesign? Nope. Knowledge of the industry? Nope.

AE Bradford 10 D

I know this isn't the GOOD stuff, but it was $2.50, so whatever.

48 L.

The bottom sleeve button is just kind of tacked on.

Last edited:

mjt73106

Reaction score
Acne wool pants and riding boots

Dual recordplayer, really like the sound. (edit, pretty good price (?) at 14$)

What size are the riding boots? Any brand or info on the inside?

The Dual is a great find! Congratulations!

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sux dude, hope you'll find a better job soon.

No, sorry, unemployed until Monday, when I start my new job. I was just bitching that because I'm 29 and the new guy has a salary history 10 years longer than mine, he gets to make 70,000 for doing less than me.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also the other suit came
I think this one fits even better to begin with (plus has side vents), I think I will have to do less tailoring and it fits me shoulder and length of jacket wise unlike some other things I have posted. I am for sure going to add a good deal more waist suppression and lengthen the sleeves so they are even, and the pants are going to be slimmed. I think once all that is done I wont be in the suit more than $100 also there is a lot of extra fabric underneath the pants should I add a cuff? this is going to be my more formal suit so I am thinking not? also is it possible to take extra fabric and take off the belt loops and make side adjusters? if so I am going to do that on both suit, any idea how expensive that would be?

I still am definitly going to slim the pants though

guyver00

Reaction score
I'll take your soul.

Sounds like you're purging your entire wardrobe, moving from boyhood to manhood. Good job, wish I started caring about my clothes sooner.

Last edited:

guyver00

Reaction score

No, sorry, unemployed until Monday, when I start my new job. I was just bitching that because I'm 29 and the new guy has a salary history 10 years longer than mine, he gets to make 70,000 for doing less than me.

Totally misread your post, must be my afternoon sugar low.

Heh, that's pretty pathetic that the company would pay someone higher salary just because he's been working longer. Sounds like he doesn't even have the same skill and knowledge as you. Sux that he's getting paid tonnes more than you.

flatspotting

Reaction score
Another day, another thrift.

To start things off, we have some AE Randolphs in 8.5D, Available.

Next up we have a couple Sport Coats - I am unsure on them if they were good pickups, so some advice would be appreciated on them

This first one has cloth by Ermenegildo Zegna, Tailored at a local place, Samson Tailors.

In the end, its a bit big in the shoulders for me - looks like it fits as a 42R from what I can tell. This is available or will be sold if it's worth anything and one here is interested.

(One note, the Jacket is more green than the second picture shows, the actual jacket fabric is closer in looks to the first picture on the edges.)

The second here is a Tweed Coat - Tag for The Real Magee, Donegal Tweed - but was sold from Moores. Not sure if this has any value? But I will likely be keeping it either way...

Next a Shirt for me:

Thomas Pink, White Collar/Cuffs - French Cuffed.

And last, but not least, a Sartoriale Suit - No other tags, seems to fit as a 40 - this may be available I have to check how much fabric there is in the sleeves to be let out for my arms... if it wont reach, then it will be available.

*edit i do have the pants, just didnt take pics.

Pics:

Note that my flash washed out the main shot there again - the fabric is more green like it appears in the label picture.

If anyone had any info on this suit that would be appreciated as I know nothing about it....

Thats all folks! (For today)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads