• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Hey, dudes. So, after a business trip to Cali, I'm starting to dig out from under my haul. And based on an awesome tip from Klobber, I hit a spot out in the Bay area and came back with:
RLPL linen trou (reverse orphans), black chalk stripe, 2x pleats, 34 x 30ish
RPL USA made glenplaid tweed, cotton/cashmere blend, dual vent + ticket pocket, fairly recent, 46ish L
John W Nordstrom 100% Loro Piana cashmere windowpane SC, 44L
HF brown birdseye suit, dual vent and flat front, 42L
Italo Ferretti blue stripe tie
I intended to keep all of these, but the only one I can even barely pull off is the HF, and even that's a bit long. So these are available.
Oh, and here's a pic of what I'm up against. (The zip storage behind the haul is other inventory or seasonal stuff of my own) I'm going to start measuring this stuff today.

Sweet Jesus. Let me know if I can help you with any of those large shoe trees or a suit in 40-42 R-L (HF 42L might be a bit big for me). And is that a red scarf I spy?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sweet Jesus. Let me know if I can help you with any of those large shoe trees or a suit in 40-42 R-L (HF 42L might be a bit big for me). And is that a red scarf I spy?

Yeah, but it's got a few pin moth holes. I can live with that but others are more .... fussy.

You're on my list of people to touch base with once I get this stuff measured up. :fonz:

EDIT: A few of the ties have some blemishes. Since they were essentially free, I'm going to experiment with Oxy as a stain removal method. I shall report my highly scientific findings for peer review.
And BTW, yes, that is a basically NWT T&A grenadine navy dot tie. Keeping that mothaf*cka.

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interest check. I won't be able to get back to this GW until Tuesday (unless Greg613 or ATLnoob wants to help someone out).

It think this is a 38ish Short. Made in Germany, I'm assuming.

Where's the Hansderhund signal?

And I picked this up because I've been looking for a khaki suit for a hell of a long time. But I couldn't find the pants (I ran out of time). I was right to be searching for pants, correct? Or could this easily be worn as a sportcoat? (You'll see on the tag that there is a drop, but since everything lists drops, I'm in the dark; there is a bit of shoulder padding, but all my BB sportcoats have that, so ....)

I assume I can easily rock this with navy trousers.

And I also, literally, came across 10 CT shirts in 15.5/33, but all were French Cuff. I took a solid white and a solid blue, the two that were in the best condish.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All cedar?

Pretty much. I plan to swap these in for the few hardwood/mismatching ones I still have. But that will prolly still leave me with a number of spare pairs.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Interest check. I won't be able to get back to this GW until Tuesday (unless Greg613 or ATLnoob wants to help someone out).

It think this is a 38ish Short. Made in Germany, I'm assuming.

Where's the Hansderhund signal?

No worries, I'm doing measurements/descriptions all night as I need to get some things sold so I'm back and forth in front of my computer/wine all evening.

Likely German/Austrian/Swiss as I see similar tags on things made by local tailors. The first tag is the Woolmark tag and means that it's virgin wool. The second is the maker tag and the only two words I see are "Schnitt" = cut and "Qualiät" = quality (not sure, internal code?). I'm interested if it measures a bit smaller!

And I picked this up because I've been looking for a khaki suit for a hell of a long time. But I couldn't find the pants (I ran out of time). I was right to be searching for pants, correct? Or could this easily be worn as a sportcoat? (You'll see on the tag that there is a drop, but since everything lists drops, I'm in the dark; there is a bit of shoulder padding, but all my BB sportcoats have that, so ....) 

I'm not sure if this is part of a suit either, but it can certainly be worn safely without the pants. I have a couple of tan/khaki jackets that are worn in the spring and summer. I almost always wear it with a light blue shirt and never white.

Randomore

Reaction score
Keeping the Hermes train chuggin. Just found a heavy as hell turtleneck sweater that is available for anyone here since I'm too young to pull that off lol. Pics to come

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. I plan to swap these in for the few hardwood/mismatching ones I still have. But that will prolly still leave me with a number of spare pairs.

There are no spare pairs. There are only opportunities to buy more shoes.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Randomore

Reaction score
Pics of the Hermes sweater. Crazy good quality, nice navy color. size xl. Is this thing real?available.

azevezy4.jpg

ejame6ed.jpg

du3unyhe.jpg

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It was a pretty nice jacket and was snug on me, so I'm figuring it measured out to a 19.5 or so p2p with a 17.5 or so shoulder. I shall see if it's still there on Tuesday.

And I shall wear the Khaki BB in style and good health ... next summer.  While we're on the topic of summer, someone in a 44 R should snag this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Laure...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item2ec267f576

PM Sent!

Now is definitely the time to snag summer deals on eBay. I find amazing deals now through Christmas with little to no competition on summer items. I find tons of linen and high end stuff during this time of the year and things will be 3x or 4x higher in March and April.

It's also a time to set decent opening bids if you're still selling warm weather clothes in 4 season climates (that last part is better served in the eBay thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads