1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

TOP TEN IS THE WORST
    TOP TWENTY IS THE BEST
    TOP THIRTY IS THE ONE WITH THE HAIRIEST CHEST

(Now that I'm older, that third one looks more like a compliment than I think it was ever intended.)

1 person likes this.
  2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I forgot how far your pictures have come... :laugh: :fistbump: (I have a few of those more ancient Hickey Freemans myself somewhere, hanging in the dark. $16 - $25 apiece. Why, past me, WHY.)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

4. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

^^ that pic is hilarious, and 100% appropriate given the shirt he's wearing

1 person likes this.
  5. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

One quick stop today net me an RG shirt and and Etch-a-Sketch for my kids (notable because its inventor recently passed away).

My thrift fit pic tried to rise to the challenge Grendel set yesterday - cardigan (and a shawl collar no less) and a tie. Because most of my shirts are in the wash I couldn't do it. But this was my best effort. It was -1 F today with the wind chill so I was nice and cozy.

Everything thrifted (cardigan) or obtained from this forum (LVC, Florsheim v-cleats) except for the shirt which is CT, bought at retail (double gasp). And the LVCs are uncuffed, in a bow to the cuffed vs non-cuff schism yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this was my environment today - the complete opposite to Spoo and GM-H. The day after 6 inches of snow.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. half lunatic

half lunatic Member

Is this the Gucci I'm looking for?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nice! Chunky sweaters are the best for these cold days. Can't wait for Spring to come!

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Does anyone know of a good online resource for dating non-501 Levis? I found a nice pair of 517s that I think are fairly old. If nothing else, they'll work for me. I'm just curious how old they might be... Orange tab, non-selvage.

9. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

quote name="FaceOfBoh" url="/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread/66060#post_6212515"]One quick stop today net me an RG shirt and and Etch-a-Sketch for my kids (notable because its inventor recently passed away).

My thrift fit pic tried to rise to the challenge Grendel set yesterday - cardigan (and a shawl collar no less) and a tie. Because most of my shirts are in the wash I couldn't do it. But this was my best effort. It was -1 F today with the wind chill so I was nice and cozy.

Everything thrifted (cardigan) or obtained from this forum (LVC, Florsheim v-cleats) except for the shirt which is CT, bought at retail (double gasp). And the LVCs are uncuffed, in a bow to the cuffed vs non-cuff schism yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this was my environment today - the complete opposite to Spoo and GM-H. The day after 6 inches of snow.

[​IMG][/quote]

Those LVC's are a really nice fit did you have them tailored?

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Most exerent!

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

NIcely done!
    Almost my size. [​IMG]
    That's what I'm talking about! Gonna steal this for a future fit. I have just the outfit in mind. [​IMG]
    With weather like that, did you rock some long johns?

12. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

Wont be able to get out tomorrow or Sunday so hit a few places today, a few decent finds, it was a Polo RL and spring/summer day for me, in no particular order:

Thought this was interesting, normally would not pick up LRL, I thought this was a women's, (zips on opposite side) vest, Size M but pretty much fits so Im not totally sure it is
    Lauren RL Vest , tag appears old to me (not that I know LRL at all, usually its an insta-pass), Made in Hong Kong. Cotton, tons of pockets & zippers w/ game pocket? on back...Not even sure what this is for...hunting? fishing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Etro size 42 (appx 16.5)

[​IMG]

North Face convertible pants, exc. condition, keeping

[​IMG]

Polo Bear logo corduroy shirt, size L

[​IMG]

NWT Levis 527, 30 x 32

[​IMG]

1st time Ive seen an Altea shirt, 16.5, no material or country of origin tag, but fairly nice, feels like cotton or possibly linen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polo RL seersucker pants, Corneliani tagged 40 (I think EU size but measure @ 29-30 waist, 29.5 inseam + cuffs, flat front

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polo (not corneliani) 34 x 34 tan/light grey seersucker, appear unworn, fwd pleats,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PRL Vest w/ leather suede shoulders & trim, size L (keeping)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWT Ted Baker Size 5 (XL I think), Made in Portugal w/ nice MOP's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve Alan L (reverse seam I believe), J Press Made in India Plaid/Madras L (keeping for now), BB 346 Patch Madras M(Keeping)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fairly recent (but not corneliani) Khaki Cotton PRL SC, 42

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ferragamo Made in Italy 10 D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barely worn Bass for me...almost bought a pair of Sperry's in this color last week so that worked out well

[​IMG]

VV, NWT BB, BB Linen, NWT BB

[​IMG]

Polo RL, VV, Hickey Freeman, Hermes (has a slight spot, appears real)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Don't know about Florsheim, but Dack's have never really had a bad era. They were made to really high standards in Canada for ages, then were made in England by Cheaney to slightly lower standards (but I mean come on), and have now re-launched and are made in Canada again. They do decently well on eBay too.

I'd grab them if they're in good condition, look good and aren't corrected grain leather (as some are). That's easier said than done... most of the pairs I've seen have either been beaten to hell or made of ugly exotics (Dack's used lots of exotics... some like kangaroo were nice, others like camel were ewww).

If you come across any in 12D, get at me. I'm located in Canada as well.

14. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Nothing done to them at all. They're 34x32 and I got them from barrelntrigger. They were the closest to my size available so I took a chance. They fit perfect. My only concern is that since they're raw denim I can't EVER wash them!

To be honest, long johns aren't really necessary except for extended periods outdoors when it's really cold, like below -10 F. You may not believe me so come visit me some January to experience it yourself.

That vest is awesome. To anyone who hasn't, I recommend the biography of Ralph Lauren, Genuine Authentic. I think Orgetrix mentioned it here awhile ago so I picked it up. Well worth the read for the insight into the fashion industry, production and design. Plus a peek into the "mind" of RL himself.

+1.

I bought a pair for my wedding and still have them 18 years later.

Check out the Dacks thread. Man of Lint posts there and he's a font of knowledge. Plus, a guy occasionally drops by whose father owned the company at one time.

15. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Thanks for the props! You're pics are an inspiration. Should I add to us older guys? :happy:

16. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

Heads up if anyone in ATL is into fedora's.

There was a nice Dobbs (maybe Waverly style) fedora at the Sandy Springs GW in a dark khaki color (cognac maybe), size is 7 5/8's. Comes in a vintage Resistol hat box for $9 and looks brand new.

There were two others, one Dobbs in grey and a Knox in green, but the grey sold while I was there and I took home the Knox.

It is behind the special items case.

17. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

uhhhhh...

18. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

Picked up a pair of these bad boys at Buffalo Exchange this afternoon, despite being a half size bigger than my usual size they fit just about perfect.

[​IMG]
    Now I'm trying to decide whether they make my (also thrifted) chocolate suede John Lobb Chesters irrelevant.

19. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

Found this bad boy today and since it was half price I had to buy it. It's available and probably a 42R.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. zerobid

zerobid Well-Known Member

Hey guys

Left these behind
    Did I mess up?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.