• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachl

Reaction score

I bought one of the 36R Thick as Thieves blazers off of darkmatter7 from his haul a few weeks ago and received it the other day. It's unfortunately a bit too wide in the shoulders for me to make work, so if anyone else is interested, please shoot me a PM.
The measurements and details darkmatter7 provided me can be found below:

Grey Peak Lapel (tagged 36R, measures closer to a 38R)
Double vented, 1 button, with hacking pockets, and ticket pocket
Shoulder 18
p2p 19
waist 17/18
length 30
sleeve 25

Photo included from dm7's flickr:

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Cheaney's today that had a fresh full resole. Could only tell they were Cheaney's by the size stamp. Then once I got em out in the sun realized that they must have been dyed black from burgundy or something because the original color was showing through. Couldn't see it in the store. Marked 10D, if anyone wants them they're available.
DSC02962.jpg

DSC02978.jpg

DSC02965.jpg

DSC02963.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02970.jpg

DSC02971.jpg
Also got a pair of Paul Smith linen pants in size 38. Also available.
DSC02981.jpg

DSC02959.jpg

DSC02960.jpg

DSC02958.jpg

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

a word of unsolicited advice: you deal in volume. other guys might find their once in a lifetime high end $4k+ Kiton / G&H / Brioni / whatever suit, list it on B&S or ebay BIN for $500-800, and then wait patiently (for months, likely) for that one buyer in that one size looking for that one pattern to pull the trigger. when that happens, our little thrifter is thrilled, and the months wait (and the accompanying extra clutter) was worth it.
given the volume of stuff you find, you do not have the luxury of time. all of these $4k retail suits are theoretically worth $400+, but likely only after a long wait, hassle, soul-crushing clutter, and (very likely) a huge chunk taken out for your consignment partners and ebay fees. other guys have the luxury of waiting for that one chance to knock one out of the park, but you need to focus on hitting triples and doubles ALL THE ******* TIME. i suspect that if you had instituted a well-known "cost +$100" or "cost + $150" policy for suits, "cost + $75" or so for SC's in conjunction with "no PMs unless it's to let me know that you sent me the money via paypal" policy, etc or something similar for thrift thread regulars, your finds would be flying out the door with little to no hassle on your part, and you would likely have a huge cash surplus right now, with no cut taken off the top by ebay, consignment partner cuts, shipping huge boxes to consignment partners, etc.
given that i am too cheap to even pay cost + $100 for a suit, i don't have a dog in this fight, so believe me when i say this advice doesn't have any ulterior motive on my part. i know from very personal experience what it's like to work ****** off to pay for undergrad only to have my grades suffer, and i don't want to see anyone go through that.

I will tell you about my own experience juggling university, private life, social life, selling, and work.
I had a rare LP trading / flipping thing going on (I also dealt in antique guns, coins, and rare or discontinued weapons such as crossbows by manufacturers like Barnett). I eventually made it profitable to the point I could clear $15K net profit a year. Add to that a job as a bouncer on weekends (Friday + Saturday night), and holiday employment in construction, I ended up being one of the rare students with a net positive balance in the bank owing nothing other than a few credit card bills. But let me tell you, that little business nearly killed me socially and grades wise. I could theoretically have cleared $40K net profit a year if I wanted to, but decided in my second year of that venture to seriously scale back my operations (took a girlfriend to give me the boot, poorer than expected grades, and a bunch of pissed off friends).
Thrifting for you on this scale is not going to work for you, even with a finely tuned business model. I can already sense you are on the edge, reaching that breaking point I had when wheeling and dealing in LP's, coins and weapons. Only you can decide what is best for yourself, but if I put myself in your shoes, I cannot help but bite my knuckles.
Either you will kill your business or it will kill you. I suggest scale back and enjoy your life. I do not sense you are having much fun doing this.
Mexicutioner gave you some solid advice on how to form a simple business model that can guarantee a quick turnover and some all important cash in your back pocket. The business models that apply to guys like Spoo, Mainy, and Nataku do not necessarily copy paste itself to you at this time.

Both of you, know what the **** you are talking about.

And if you want to hear about having no time to do anything, try walking a week in my shoes.

bytor13

Reaction score
It seems like I haven't posted in ages, but I think it's only been a month or so. I guess that's how fast this thread moves! Here are some recent finds.

Everything is available unless otherwise noted.

Corneliani DB jacket - Is this an orphan? I'm afraid it is.
Fits me & tagged 38R. NOT AVAILABLE

lmrUK.jpg

Xcjn0.jpg
eime3.jpg

Oxxford Suit - Tagged 44L, Pants 38/33
IpQEs.jpg

B0yPk.jpg
FFQl8.jpg
Ia1qL.jpg
2GvRD.jpg
gmsQj.jpg

PRL cotton blazer - side vents, tagged L
YoE6Q.jpg

eFrkx.jpg

Faconnable cotton blazer - single vented, working cuffs, tagged XL
WoGsJ.jpg

jPR0a.jpg
xUPji.jpg

Recent (?) HF for Nordstrom sportcoat - single vented, taged 42L
Blz1c.jpg

BlIw5.jpg
quWkY.jpg
2PUu9.jpg

HF for Nordstrom sportcoat - double vented, tagged 44L
STfGT.jpg

DtXmV.jpg
8YKgv.jpg
SNpkS.jpg

NOT AVAILABLE - ancient HSM (double vented, low button stance); Pendleton shacket (shazer?)
E21Wu.jpg
FPvsp.jpg

I have too many ties to get rid of! Below are some highlights - ALL AVAILABLE, Most of them are 3.75 wide.
Album view can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/wh8ay#0

uDxsW.jpg

6yE0p.jpg
yohFt.jpg
vE0zS.jpg
dRbRH.jpg
ASeVj.jpg
FABiW.jpg

1ZMUx.jpg
TUzgW.jpg
OFjDi.jpg
MN6RR.jpg
TP5sU.jpg
JTbdf.jpg

t1Xky.jpg
xDwoK.jpg

All of the tie photos are here: http://imgur.com/a/wh8ay#0

A couple of interesting PRL ties
kod55.jpg
KgbLT.jpg

qnF1E.jpg

Hmm . . . Interesting, I guess . . .

L8nSP.jpg

What's that? A picture, perhaps???

GlnIo.jpg

Bally monks - NOT AVAILABLE
HpBDz.jpg

EZiYx.jpg
uyMQn.jpg

Richard James shirt - made in Italy, MOP buttons, tagged 17.5/44
XmLlV.jpg

Question - Anyone have any thoughts on Lubiam 1911 suits? I saw one, but it was too big and completed listings were all over the place. Also, I've been trying to spend less lately, especially on things that won't fit me!
Wi2So.jpg
cXLPG.jpg

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's play a game to lighten up the mood a bit. Name reasons why Goodwill would make the perfect girlfriend. I'll start:
1. Donations are always gladly accepted at the rear

You can get anything you want for under $30?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question - Anyone have any thoughts on Lubiam 1911 suits? I saw one, but it was too big and completed listings were all over the place. Also, I've been trying to spend less lately, especially on things that won't fit me!
Wi2So.jpg
cXLPG.jpg

I've heard good things about them, and all of the Lubiam stuff I've found has been well made. I've heard LBM 1911 called the "poor man's Boglioli"

bytor13

Reaction score
I've heard good things about them, and all of the Lubiam stuff I've found has been well made. I've heard LBM 1911 called the "poor man's Boglioli"
Yeah, the quality seemed there, but I just wasn't sure what sort of demand there might be. Like I said, all I had to go on was completeds on my phone, and they weren't much help. Well . . If anyone's a 48L and wants me to check it out, hit me up for a proxy!

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A little heavy for the season but still pretty cool finds. (These are actually thrift finds, that I just re-found in the back of my thrifted inventory closet.)

Polo Corduroy Jacket w/ working surgeon cuffs.

Woolrich Patch Pocket Blue and Brass

madmacs

Reaction score

I don't know if it's still the case, but I believe they used to be more sports coats than suits... the one I have is nice, well made, good fabric, nice easily matchable pin stripe... for $8 I couldnt complain... has hair canvas in it too...

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a great day thrifting with Gmmcl, just a real, real nice guy. It was nice to talk about clothes in real life for a change. We had to the the racks with the quickness because of time constraints, but I still had a couple firsts today. First Maranella, first some other **** I can't remember, and also what are most likely the sexest shoes I've ever thrifted! Pictures tomorrow when I get them cleaned up, for reelz, these ***** is hottttttt!!!!! Bout to make somebody with a 11.5 shoe size really happy!!!

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
a word of unsolicited advice: you deal in volume. other guys might find their once in a lifetime high end $4k+ Kiton / G&H / Brioni / whatever suit, list it on B&S or ebay BIN for $500-800, and then wait patiently (for months, likely) for that one buyer in that one size looking for that one pattern to pull the trigger. when that happens, our little thrifter is thrilled, and the months wait (and the accompanying extra clutter) was worth it.
given the volume of stuff you find, you do not have the luxury of time. all of these $4k retail suits are theoretically worth $400+, but likely only after a long wait, hassle, soul-crushing clutter, and (very likely) a huge chunk taken out for your consignment partners and ebay fees. other guys have the luxury of waiting for that one chance to knock one out of the park, but you need to focus on hitting triples and doubles ALL THE ******* TIME. i suspect that if you had instituted a well-known "cost +$100" or "cost + $150" policy for suits, "cost + $75" or so for SC's in conjunction with "no PMs unless it's to let me know that you sent me the money via paypal" policy, etc or something similar for thrift thread regulars, your finds would be flying out the door with little to no hassle on your part, and you would likely have a huge cash surplus right now, with no cut taken off the top by ebay, consignment partner cuts, shipping huge boxes to consignment partners, etc.
given that i am too cheap to even pay cost + $100 for a suit, i don't have a dog in this fight, so believe me when i say this advice doesn't have any ulterior motive on my part. i know from very personal experience what it's like to work ****** off to pay for undergrad only to have my grades suffer, and i don't want to see anyone go through that.
I will tell you about my own experience juggling university, private life, social life, selling, and work.
I had a rare LP trading / flipping thing going on (I also dealt in antique guns, coins, and rare or discontinued weapons such as crossbows by manufacturers like Barnett). I eventually made it profitable to the point I could clear $15K net profit a year. Add to that a job as a bouncer on weekends (Friday + Saturday night), and holiday employment in construction, I ended up being one of the rare students with a net positive balance in the bank owing nothing other than a few credit card bills. But let me tell you, that little business nearly killed me socially and grades wise. I could theoretically have cleared $40K net profit a year if I wanted to, but decided in my second year of that venture to seriously scale back my operations (took a girlfriend to give me the boot, poorer than expected grades, and a bunch of pissed off friends).
Thrifting for you on this scale is not going to work for you, even with a finely tuned business model. I can already sense you are on the edge, reaching that breaking point I had when wheeling and dealing in LP's, coins and weapons. Only you can decide what is best for yourself, but if I put myself in your shoes, I cannot help but bite my knuckles.
Either you will kill your business or it will kill you. I suggest scale back and enjoy your life. I do not sense you are having much fun doing this.
Mexicutioner gave you some solid advice on how to form a simple business model that can guarantee a quick turnover and some all important cash in your back pocket. The business models that apply to guys like Spoo, Mainy, and Nataku do not necessarily copy paste itself to you at this time.

Both of you, know what the **** you are talking about.

And if you want to hear about having no time to do anything, try walking a week in my shoes.

That comma completely alters the meaning from what I hope Spoo was trying to say to what it looks like he is says.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score

A little heavy for the season but still pretty cool finds. (These are actually thrift finds, that I just re-found in the back of my thrifted inventory closet.)

Polo Corduroy Jacket w/ working surgeon cuffs.

Woolrich Patch Pocket  Blue and Brass

I thrifted that exact coat about a month ago! :slayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads