• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temujin

Reaction score
I also found a pair of Aldens today. But the label did not have the familiar crest, or Made in New England stamp. Is there a second Alden shoes, or are these perhaps a lower end shoe, or even a knock off?

KeatonCollar

Reaction score
Wayyy back in the thread, someone mentioned the Runway TJ Maxx in Bloomfield Hills, MI. I was there not too long ago, they were selling so-so D and G shirts for $99, down from an average inflated price of $180-250. They had some decent mesh RL polos too.

Lady told me they have the biggest men's section in MI and get about 3 trucks a week. One guy hit the Ann Arbor store and got some great RLPL stuff. I hope I can hit the same jackpot!

KeatonCollar

Reaction score
My brag stretches back to 2008 when the stores were hurting from a recession while they were stuck with merchandise. RL had an unbelievable sale, not advertised of course. The best buys were RLPL Hacking Jacket from $3000 to $650 including working cuff buttons! Second steal was a nice RLBL 100% Cashmere overcoat, retail $3000 for $700. Some people at those prices wouldnt have pulled the trigger but I did and I'm happy about it.

In addition, I got a variety of cashmere sweaters and RL polo dress shirts at a fraction of the price. It was a good day my friends, my best day ever.

I funded it with Blackjack winnings, but thats another story....

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KeatonCollar
My brag stretches back to 2008 when the stores were hurting from a recession while they were stuck with merchandise. RL had an unbelievable sale, not advertised of course. The best buys were RLPL Hacking Jacket from $3000 to $650 including working cuff buttons! Second steal was a nice RLBL 100% Cashmere overcoat, retail $3000 for $700. Some people at those prices wouldnt have pulled the trigger but I did and I'm happy about it.

In addition, I got a variety of cashmere sweaters and RL polo dress shirts at a fraction of the price. It was a good day my friends, my best day ever.

I funded it with Blackjack winnings, but thats another story....

do tell...

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't even talk about the massive RLPL score I got from woodbury commons, those that were there are in the know.

I'll forever have a special place for those nice ladies.

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
I also found a pair of Aldens today. But the label did not have the familiar crest, or Made in New England stamp. Is there a second Alden shoes, or are these perhaps a lower end shoe, or even a knock off?

Does the label look like this? If so, they are definitely Aldens.

042.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, anyone here wear a 10B?

Temujin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Does the label look like this? If so, they are definitely Aldens.

042.jpg

Ah, yes! That is it! Glad I went ahead and bought them, although finding a home for 10 A may be a challenge! They are practically new. Very similar to your picture, only a black moc toe. Thanks for clearing that up.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And... This is why I love thirfting. Cricketeer (high end brand since gone under) suit for $25 at my favorite place. PoW check in a very hard to describe medium to dark gray color with a tinge of olive, with a subtle red overcheck. SB, no vents.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that's a tux (can't tell if the lapels are supposed to be shiny, if it's a bad pressing, or an artifact of hte camera), have black tuxedo trousers made up in a similar weight wool. You may not be able to get an exact match, but you can get it damn close. Take the jacket in with you to see if you can't match the fabric as precisely as possible.

If it's not, it was probably made for use as a stroller. In the 40's, conservative professions still wore them in Britain, think London banker. Get a few pairs (okay, pair) of cashmere striped or boldly checked light gray/black trousers and rock the look next time you got to a nice day wedding. Either bow or long ties are permitted, shirt should be white and shoes should be black and highly polished, but not patent. And ignore the fact that the original owner would never have worn such a casual garment to a wedding.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
So I found my first ever bespoke Savile Row piece today. Probably wasn't worth the $15 that I paid for it and I'll probably never wear it, but it fits. Searched the store high and low for the trousers with no avail.

DSC01246.jpg

Damn, those are some blades!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, just to note, I just noticed that the pockets on the suit I just got are still sewn shut. I got an essensially brand new canvassed suit in my size for $25. It was at least purchased by somebody since the pants are hemmed (perfectly for me- 1 inch cuffs and no break), but worn very few times.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
And... This is why I love thirfting. Cricketeer (high end brand since gone under) suit for $25 at my favorite place. PoW check in a very hard to describe medium to dark gray color with a tinge of olive, with a subtle red overcheck. SB, no vents.

Cricketeer was high end? I see them in about every shop I visit and thought they were a mass produced department store brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics