The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

A small win last Friday at a vintage seconds store. I'm pretty sure the links are NOS.

[​IMG]

Very nice! And they're complementary.

2. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

3. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Senior member

FWIW - older YSL, Dior, and Lanvin stuff is not worth picking up unless it fits you perfectly. The value/desirability is almost non-existent and most of it has not dated well.

4. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

FWIW - older YSL, Dior, and Lanvin stuff is not worth picking up unless it fits you perfectly. The value/desirability is almost non-existent and most of it has not dated well.

aww okay well shit prob stuck with it. whats brands is there a market for other than zegna?

5. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

aww okay well shit prob stuck with it. whats brands is there a market for other than zegna?

Take some time and read this thread....all the way back to the beginning. There is also a ranking of suit brand names that you can find here, do a search. It may take an hour or 2 but you'll know the major brands by then. There are some very good brands that are undervalued as far as re-sale like Samuelsohn for instance. I have found several REALLY nice Samuelsohn suits and jackets that I have kept and gotten for a song. It would be pretty tough to sell them though.

So keep in mind selling vs. keeping when you thrift. But again, you will get a much better idea after spending some time on the 2 threads I mentioned.

6. najpie

najpie Well-Known Member

damn. I saw Lanvin and snapped it up beause I hadn't seen it before. oh well. guess i'll eat the $9... or turn the lanvin buttons into cufflinks!

7. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

Take some time and read this thread....all the way back to the beginning. There is also a ranking of suit brand names that you can find here, do a search. It may take an hour or 2 but you'll know the major brands by then. There are some very good brands that are undervalued as far as re-sale like Samuelsohn for instance. I have found several REALLY nice Samuelsohn suits and jackets that I have kept and gotten for a song. It would be pretty tough to sell them though.

So keep in mind selling vs. keeping when you thrift. But again, you will get a much better idea after spending some time on the 2 threads I mentioned.

i did that last month, saw alot of people picking up YSL so i thought yeah might as well.

i paid $13 for it.

though, oh well i guess i'll keep it.
    It fits me a little snugly. i can button it up and stuff but it looks like the Ralph lauren black label stuff on me real slim cut , looks too modern? if that makes anysense?

when i wear a 42R i slip my hand inbetween the jacket and my chest, and i can move it about the thickness of my hand.

when i where the 40R i slip my hand on my chest and it's almost snug

8. wcl

wcl Senior member

A very trad day today. NOS Sero buttondown in Parliament Poplin, whatever that is, made for a long gone local trad store. Still has the creases from being folded. Also a must iron BB BD. The tie is a Talbott in a nice thick twill. All of the pocketsquare are hand rolled. I don't know why I keep buying them. I almost always use a white linen one.
    [​IMG]

9. acl1

acl1 Senior member

This is more of an opportunity to brag about a loss, but I saw a mint pair of RRL officer's chinos in size 32 for $45 today. Left for a few seconds to help my sister with some jeans and some fat mofo grabbed it off the rack. At the counter I heard him mumbling about how he'd lost a pair of pants just like these. right. fat f**k.

10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Was at my local Salvation Army yesterday, and saw a great pair of Allen Edmonds chukka boots in like-new condition -- soft brown leather, with a strap going all the way around. But I had to pass because of the size - 13AAA. Couldn't possibly squeeze my 11.5 feet into them, and resale might be hard with that unusual size...

HOWEVER I did see an interesting little round end table with two opposing drawers and two opposing pull-outs. It had some scratches on the top, but the quality of the piece was evident. Looked kind of like this:

[​IMG]

So I took out one of the drawers... had all the telltale signs of a quality piece -- dovetailing, solid wood on the sides and bottom of the drawer, reinforced points, etc. Then imagine my surprise when inside the drawer there's a metal oval plaque that reads "Baker"! So I guess when this piece was new, it cost between $2,000 and $4,000? That's what they seem to go for at the Baker store. Admittedly I'm a furniture newb, but isn't this the equivalent of finding a Kiton suit at a thrift shop? Has anybody else ever found any Baker or other high-end furniture at a thrift?

So tomorrow night I'm going to drop it off with a furniture restorer who will take out the scratches and basically get it looking like new for about $200...

I'll take pictures once it comes back from the repair shop!

Cost was $39.99... if I had waited until today, it would have been $30 (with 25% off) but of course didn't want to take the chance that it would have still been there today! Gladly paid the $10 "peace of mind insurance". [​IMG]

photos?

11. floors to go

floors to go Senior member

Found a Brioni for Neiman Marcus 16L french cuff, nice MOP buttons, light pink.

Really excited it was my size, but after trying on the collar was just a little too snug.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

12. Steeze

Steeze Senior member

Unlined Oxxford Summer blazer in Glenplaid. Fits perfectly.

Bernini suit jacket also fits perfectly.

Gotta love LA.

13. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Found and purchased a pair of moderately worn Alden 986 LHS size 10 D, $9.99. I wish they were 12E.[​IMG]

14. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Found and purchased a pair of moderately worn Alden 986 LHS size 10D. I wish they were 12E.[​IMG]

Pics? That is my size!

15. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

Pics? That is my size!

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.