• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can someone thrift me a pony?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where does prada fall as far as typical suiting quality? ive gone through more than 1000 pages of this thread without seeing a prada suit (except the one i thrifted). is that b/c you guys pass on them or b/c its not often found?

No one likes Prada but me. You can send it over to little'o me if you want.
smile.gif

Still no stuff in my SS size, starting to get worried. I did however find,
Deadstock minty fresh Pendleton plaid shacket in my size N/A
Damn Ez, your hauls never cease to amaze me!

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E-thrift Cherry Pop!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

More on that when they arrive.

Dammit. Those were going to be e-thrift brag. They're my size too...

I don't even understand how you won them unless you messaged the guy. That auction was supposed to end days from now. At least let me win some of his other poorly done auctions.

Last edited:

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Huge shoutout to Dolfan954 for this SICK Captain America jersey. Will be rocking this on a ride Sunday morning!

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loakes were gone.
frown.gif

Did pick up size 11 zegna shoes, a Talbot shirt, a corneliani shirt, a paul frederick shirt, and a bb tie. Oh, and that jacket haha. Passed on a tyrwitt thatlooked like it had seen better days. Same with a pair of prl cords.

So if anyone wants dibs on the jacket or shoes get at me. Jacket is a 46R and the shoes are a size 11. Hoping to trade!
Post a pic of the zegna's

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This doesn't do them justice. They need to be conditioned and polished and stored in trees. The marks are all superficial.

Last edited:

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

VTg Patagonia, pretty good condition large. I know you guys like that vintage. sadly first time seeing patagonia

On second thought, doesn't really look vintage

Last edited:

DjangoV

Reaction score
Today I used the lunch break for a quick thrift hunt again. It was just one of those days (let's call it a typical friday 13th), finding something spectacular (from my limited experience) than finding out it's a pass:

1. First thing I spotted when entering was a classic DB gold-button navy blazer, which appears to be about my size. I get really excited, since I do not have any navy blazers yet at the moment. I slide the left side open to see the label: KITON (my first ever). Take it of the rack and then see the right inside where the lining has been totally destroyed
    baldy[1].gif

Sorry for the blurry/sucky iPhone pic:
  2. Next find is a really nice light blue-white (sort of herringbone pattern) FC dress shirt from Canali. The neck is my exact size, but I usually need slim fits with my relatively big neck
    shog[1].gif
    Trying it on indeed shows a bit of room in the shoulders and a lot of space in the waist section. Thought it might be interesting to start my flipping career with this one, but then I see a snag right in the middle of the back. So also passed that.
  3. As a final resolve I go towards the ties, since I still have to replace all my low quality starter ties. I find my first Faconnable tie; a nice shade of lighter blue. Also a snag right in the middle
    censored.gif

I did not want to leave empty handed so I got this Pal Zileri tie:

gerbilunit

Reaction score
Today I used the lunch break for a quick thrift hunt again. It was just one of those days (let's call it a typical friday 13th), finding something spectacular (from my limited experience) than finding out it's a pass:

1. First thing I spotted when entering was a classic DB gold-button navy blazer, which appears to be about my size. I get really excited, since I do not have any navy blazers yet at the moment. I slide the left side open to see the label: KITON (my first ever). Take it of the rack and then see the right inside where the lining has been totally destroyed
    baldy[1].gif
Not sure if I am one to speak from my time here, but don't worry about getting a whole new wardrobe. Learn to avoid impulse buying just to not leave empty handed. You'll end up with a bunch of junk that you'll regret later. I've learned to really criticize an item if I don't see myself wearing it. Not sure if the stitching on that Zileri tie is supposed to be like that but just remember you'll go empty handed sometimes. I've gone to 3 stores in a row and left without a single thing. But others, i'll find great things all right next to each other.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a very real phenomenon known as the 'sunk-cost fallacy'. The idea is that because you've already done xyz, then you should do this additional thing.

Ex. "I've already made it across town to this thrift store, so I should just buy something even though I passed on all these things."

This is something I am VERY guilty of every now and then and my tie collection has been growing as a result. Many of those ties are rarely, if ever, worn. I was like OMG ITALIAN SILK MUST KOP!

Now I'll apparently pass on things I know I should have bought. Sigh. Hahha.

Additionally, if you get stuff that people on here like and want, you can often trade for good things in your size. Thrifting to build a wardrobe takes a LOT of time. I've just started, but I've already learned that you have to be patient. I remember that just a month ago I went crazy over this crappy dept store blazer that was my size. Now that I've felt some better fabrics and found a few better things, I rarely ever touch them. I'm still learning, but especially if you've never had much money growing up (like myself) then you almost jump at the 'decent' stuff in a thrift shop because that's stuff that one could rarely afford growing up.

I mean, a lot of my shirts are J. Crew now. I don't think I could pay full price for them now unless I wanted to own only 10 shirts. They're good shirts, but there are far better items. If you find some basics you need, then grab those for yourself and then exercise patience and use the trade resources here to fill voids.

Last edited:

edwardthefirst

Reaction score
I think that looks like a great tie, and PZ is a nice brand. Cool find! Terribly sorry about the Kiton, I can't even imagine. You know, it is sometimes possible for a tailor to remove/replace the lining of a jacket. If it was your size it might be worth looking into!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dazedstate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello hello. Only posted a few times but I've been lurking for a while now. I wanted to check legitimacy on this Sulka tie. It would have been my first but sadly it looked as stained and nasty as the floor of a cheap motel room.

Thank you for your input.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads