• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM-H

Reaction score
Got off the train from school and headed straight to savers, this is what i found.

Ben Silver BD for myself (Legit the nicest USA made shirt I have found)

Recent Sammy 110s navy orphan 46R (dual vented, Grap some blazer buttons and your set.)

J.Press and Escada

WHAAAAATTTTT??????

Random wool knits

BEST FOR LAST! Michelangelo check dual vent patch pocket 1/4 lined cotton SC?????? Who the **** is Michelangelo???????

ISAIA IS MICHELANGELO!!

I like thrifting at home.

Last edited:

sn0wman

Reaction score
If the Ferragamo's were in the case at $40, the others left out would most likely be significantly lower than that. As a 11.5 I'd be interested in what they were for a proxy for sure.

Even for flipping, I don't understand why people pass at slightly higher thrift prices or wait for 1/2 off day. Price them well and they'll move quick; you could easy double or triple your money in a few quick transactions or trade them within minutes on here. Why risk having them walk off in someone else's hands to maybe get them $20 cheaper later? At $40/pr, I would have bought them up if they're in excellent condition. 11.5-12 are desirable sizes, for trading and flipping.

Good thoughts - My reasoning: a number of them had tassels and I just don't dig them. Some had more wear than others, but they were marked in the $25-$55 range and I didn't really want to take the risk of letting them tie up my capital while they sit in storage for a minimal flip. I'll be back tomorrow to see if more come out and will take a few photos to see if there is anything you'd like proxied.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the Ferragamo's were in the case at $40, the others left out would most likely be significantly lower than that. As a 11.5 I'd be interested in what they were for a proxy for sure.

Even for flipping, I don't understand why people pass at slightly higher thrift prices or wait for 1/2 off day. Price them well and they'll move quick; you could easy double or triple your money in a few quick transactions or trade them within minutes on here. Why risk having them walk off in someone else's hands to maybe get them $20 cheaper later? At $40/pr, I would have bought them up if they're in excellent condition. 11.5-12 are desirable sizes, for trading and flipping.

This. Also, I'd like to see more 11E finds...

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me say at the outset that I still cherish the tradition on this threak of not posting prices. But if you people are going to start...

That's not the tradition - it is the break from tradition.

I think once price is involved it will detract from finds.

Wrong - the brag is in what you found at the price you paid. I can post five NWT $2500 Brioni suits as a "brag" for which I paid $500 each (but you'd never know that). How is that a "Thrift / Discount Store Brag"?

See the very first post of the thread. Sharing prices is encouraged. A Brioni suit at 5 bucks is much more brag worthy than the same at 100 bucks.

Was going to say the same...when I first started on this forum I got all sorts of heat for posting prices paid; I argued that the thread starter (and SF honcho) had done the same...the point of the brag being what you got at the price you paid, but it has strayed from that and now price paid is a closely-guarded secret because the majority of folks here flip their stuff on ebay...and what I am writing right now will be indexed and show up on page 1 of Google by tomorrow if I posted a "new with tags FW14 runway Tom Ford leather and shearling jacket, only paid $10 at Goodwill!" and someone saw it on eBay and Googled it.
On the flip-side (pun intended), I think the majority of stuff posted here does really come from thrift/charity shops and is indeed brag-worthy...but obviously a lot is not thrifted, and comes from close-out sales, end-of-season clearances, outlets, etc (I mean, who thrifts scores of NWT Belvest? no one).
Eh, old argument, I'm obviously on one side but still don't post paid prices any longer.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MG charcoal suit. Unfortunately, it's unvented and pleated.

Last edited:

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Got off the train from school and headed straight to savers, this is what i found. Ben Silver BD for myself (Legit the nicest USA made shirt I have found) Recent Sammy 110s navy orphan 46R (dual vented, Grap some blazer buttons and your set.) J.Press and Escada [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] WHAAAAATTTTT?????? [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] Random wool knits
BEST FOR LAST! Michelangelo check dual vent patch pocket 1/4 lined cotton SC?????? Who the **** is Michelangelo???????
ISAIA IS MICHELANGELO!! I like thrifting at home.
In the thread thrifters come and go Talking of Michelangelo

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah I need to stop posting prices, I think it isn't that great of a thing to do!
But anyway, I kopped 3 pairs of Coppley Trousers and a pair of Samuelson JP Tilford. Quite happy.

GM-H

Reaction score
[/SPOILER]

In the thread thrifters come and go
Talking of Michelangelo
Love it! But for realz, has anyone heard of this brand?

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been pretty dry around here lately. Still waiting and hoping for the year end donation rush. A couple of things today.

PRL Belted Trench

Waxed cotton jacket by
images

Vtg BB 3/2 Suit

Anyone know dates for the this label?

Custom local tailor w/ LP Super 130s, pick stitching and surgeon cuffs

ajdesa

Reaction score

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another snow storm and another (vintage) haul.

Hudson's Bay point blanket coat. Very old. Maybe 1940s, but need to do more research. It's unisex. The front can be buttoned up either side.

Klondike hunting jacket. Late 60s to early-70s. Mint. Made in Japan. Corduroy collar, shell strips under pocket flaps AND snapped and zippered game pocket in back, with rubberized interior.

Wood's quilted hunting jacket. Probably 1960s, maybe 1950s. See pic with tag; cuffs have been repaired with home made knitted replacements.

Wool scarf. Need to think about the date a bit. Should say West Germany but says Western Germany. Maybe pre-wall? I don't know, but a quality item at any rate.

Mollenkamp & Goecke German army kit. 1961 date.

Pretty much the oldest Harris Tweed label I've found. Probably mid-1950s. There were two others that I left behind because the linings were blown out.

Unlabelled boots but built like a tank.

Sweater for my business partner. Who buys a sweater in Bermuda?

And a quilted PRL jacket.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's not the tradition - it is the break from tradition.

Wrong - the brag is in what you found at the price you paid.  I can post five NWT $2500 Brioni suits as a "brag" for which I paid $500 each (but you'd never know that).  How is that a "Thrift / Discount Store Brag"?

Whether it's the tradition or the break from tradition, it's been the trend since I've been here, and that's a few years. Not fixing for a fight or trying to hold the ocean; this thread will do what it wants. But there are lots of reasons not to talk price. And as just one guy, my vote is against.

And while $500 might be pretty high, it's still a damn fair price on a $2500 suit. Would you kop on a brand new BMW 335 (MSRP ~50K) for $10K (20% of MSRP)? You'd be a fool not to.

I've said it before: Am I happy living in an area where standard prices border on usurious? No. But we all play the hand we're dealt. I don't see any reason I or anyone else who busts his ass out there every day should stop bragging just because they live in a pricey area or the thrift shops near them finally learned the macroeconomics of inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics