• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilay05

Reaction score

Christ, I feel bad for my secret santa after looking through the hauls from the last few days, I adhered too closely to the proposed price cap 
shog%5B1%5D.gif

SORRY DUDE

Me too :(

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Felt sad leaving that jacket behind but I couldn't find anything about the brand. Crazy made in England tweed hunting jacket with elbow patches, neck latch, and the Chest pad for the gun stock.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only found one jacket in that brand!

Left the loakes too. They were probably as close to immaculate as possible for used shoes.

Might come grab both over lunch.

Edit: nope, I found a few of them. Some Harris tweed ones sold for 50, but it looks like what I had was a good find even at that price. Definitely coming back over lunch.

On that note does anyone want a pair of the size 10 loakes when I go back tomorrow?
If they're still there.

Last edited:

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift Thread Gift Exchange 2013

I've lost some weight and am looking for smaller trousers. Tben came through with a nice selection. Top to bottom: Bill's, Orvis, Orvis, Faconnable (look to be Incotex) and a great BB Merino/cashmere cable knit sweater. Thanks Tben!!!

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Felt sad leaving that jacket behind but I couldn't find anything about the brand. Crazy made in England tweed hunting jacket with elbow patches, neck latch, and the Chest pad for the gun stock.

If I wasn't currently looking for closet space to house my current 7 tweeds, I would totally ask for the proxy.

SeaJen: glad you liked!

Thrift blues: found an awesome Belvest db suit in Super 150s wool. Found 3 moth holes in the pants, and there were probably more I hadn't discovered.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I only found one jacket in that brand!

Left the loakes too. They were probably as close to immaculate as possible for used shoes.

Might come grab both over lunch.

It's not the brand, it's the style. Look up tweed hunting coat. You passed on $$$. Well, maybe just $$. But still worthwhile.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. Hope it's still there tomorrow. Crossing my fingers. I might go back when they open lol. I carried out around the store for an hour trying to decide. I thought I had something awesome...

What about the loakes? I'd get them on condition alone, but they're just the $150 lower tier shoes. Goodyear welted though.

Last edited:

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you canadians out there, what is the american equivalent to Harry rosen?

Found a harry rosen samuelsohn suit for 40 dollars. left it.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Hope it's still there tomorrow. Crossing my fingers. I might go back when they open lol. I carried out around the store for an hour trying to decide. I thought I had something awesome...

http://thriftygent.com/how-to-thrift-stores/
http://thriftygent.com/how-to-thrift-labels/
http://thriftygent.com/how-to-thrift-details/
http://putthison.com/post/1454913425/a-loosey-goosey-brand-guide-for-thrifting-suits
http://putthison.com/post/1603749186/ebay-searches-for-super-mega-excellent-and-extremely

These, and check out all of the closed auction listings by other members of the forum. Please?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: TonyL: Congrats on the weight loss.
In related news, I found something you lost. Happy to return it because believe me, I don't need it.

My wife texted me to say that a box arrived for me today. She thinks it's my SS gift, but it could be a buyer's remorse return, so I won't get too excited yet. Anyone from Cincy on here?
Incidentally, she said that she has a playgroup with the kids when I get home so could I wait until she's home before opening!? Apparently the Secret Santa has peaked piqued her interest.

FTFY
(Sorry, I know that's a huge d*ck move. I may or may not be a little OCD)

On that note does anyone want a pair of the size 10 loakes when I go back tomorrow?
If they're still there.

WHY WOULD YOU LEAVE LOAKE?
I mean, they're not Grenson or EG or anything, but those are really good shoes. At least AE quality, which should have been obvious from the construction.
This is what Spoo was talking about.
And that jacket -- SOMEONE on here wanted that badass motherf--. I'm not talking about Ebay dollars. Forget all that noise for a second. Someone HERE would have traded you cool stuff your size for that. Almost certainly.

Now, in fairness, you may have faced the dilemma I've often faced -- cool stuff that's overpriced. That's a much harder cost-benefit analysis to weigh. But if those were standard thrift prices, you should have kopped and then asked what else they had in the back.

Teachable moment over.

Last edited:

sn0wman

Reaction score
Stopped by a spot today and they had two pair of Salvatore Ferragamo shoes in the glass cabinet - 12 E - okay, but some scuffs - not paying $40. I politely decline and she says "Did you see the 30 other pair I just put out from the same donor?" Oh.. my... Zelli, Moreschi, Gucci, Mezlan, etc... Most of them were ostrich, but a few were croc or alligator.

Picked up two pair - Zelli Crocodile and an unmarked custom made horned back alligator from Italy.

Unmarked Alligator - they had several other in croc or ostrich.

Zelli Croc -

Hoping for a half-off shoes day in the near future.. :)

woodchuck312

Reaction score
I think we sometimes need to step back and put things in perspective, that $20 hunting tweed for instance. $20 at a theft shop for a coat is a tad bit high, but really thats the price of a junky Old Navy for Polo for christs sake

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll get them tomorrow. Don't worry. Honestly, I knew they were awesome. My fear of making a mistake just overrode my gut feeling.

And exactly, it was 20 bucks. At the regular price I would have walked out with it. At 20, ebay listings showed many things selling for 30. That held me back. At that price, pink shirts are better... Same for the loakes they were probably 15 or so. I've seen them sell for 30 and then tons higher.

They also had a rl rugby sweater. It was 25. Same thing. Is that worth it at that price? I'm not sure. I know I'd grab it in a heartbeat for 5.

I did pick up 3 nwt bb makers ties for 3 bucks each.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads