• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Take the advice below and read up. Just realize it will take practice. I'm still learning what to leave and what to pick up. Yesterday I found a Ferragamo, a Burberry, and a no-name Italian tie. When I first started I would have bought all three. Later, I learned to slow down and look things over carefully (very hard when you get that "label rush") and so I noticed that the Ferragamo had a stain and the Burberry was worn at the tip. All were $1.49. The Ferregamo can be cleaned at TieCrafters for $10 plus shipping. It was the most expensive at retail of the three but the pattern was too light-colored for my tastes. The Burberry is a bit cheaper brand but it was a perfect pattern. However, to get the tip repaired at TieCrafters is $22 plus shipping. I ended up just getting the no-name because it was a unique pattern, was in like-new shape, and had that heavy silk but soft inner-lining feeling unique to expensive ties. Unless it's unsaveable I'd never leave certain brands (Brioni, Kiton, Borrelli, Hermes, etc.) but the rest can take some thought. The most important thing is to learn to - regardless of the brand (w/ the noted exceptions) - only buy it if you love or need it, not for the label and to not sweat it because there's plenty more out there.

QFT. This is fantastic advice. Now is there anyone out there who would like to buy some early-mid 90's Zegna ties? I have quite a few from the last couple years of thrifting, and never wear any of them.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoTheGrownup
QFT. This is fantastic advice. Now is there anyone out there who would like to buy some early-mid 90's Zegna ties? I have quite a few from the last couple years of thrifting, and never wear any of them.

I think everyone here has had the same pile of ties. We realize that we overdid it and it's not worth the trouble to sell them so we donate them and the next newbie ends up collecting them
smile.gif

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Probably best bet would be to put them on ebay as one big lot. Individual ties sell, but not for very much. I've noticed that people tend to buy "tie lots" for a decent price. I just sold 7 designer ties as a lot (BB, Behar, RT) for $70, which was like free money because they had been hanging on my rack for a few years.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
Probably best bet would be to put them on ebay as one big lot. Individual ties sell, but not for very much. I've noticed that people tend to buy "tie lots" for a decent price. I just sold 7 designer ties as a lot (BB, Behar, RT) for $70, which was like free money because they had been hanging on my rack for a few years.

teacha.gif
cheers.gif

ermo

Reaction score
Found a nice pair of Ferragamo leather chukkas at a lunchtime run, stitched not glued and 7/10 condition. $12.

EBTX, I have been doing this for about a year, and have pretty much fine tuned my approach, spped through clothes, etc. And I leave plenty of nice items that aren't in fashion or worn (2 canali shirts today that had rough cuff edges, very rough). But I could have seen an A&S suit and unless it was my size and style I would have passed.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ermo
Found a nice pair of Ferragamo leather chukkas at a lunchtime run, stitched not glued and 7/10 condition. $12.

EBTX, I have been doing this for about a year, and have pretty much fine tuned my approach, spped through clothes, etc. And I leave plenty of nice items that aren't in fashion or worn (2 canali shirts today that had rough cuff edges, very rough). But I could have seen an A&S suit and unless it was my size and style I would have passed.

Good philosophy. The only reason I'd pick it up was to resell it. That doesn't mean I'm interested in making it a side business of flipping stuff. I just like the idea of passing along something at a reasonable price, that someone would enjoy having, and making some more thrifting money while I'm at it. I sold a young guy a couple of pristine Oxxford suits for $125. He didn't thrift and he was thrilled to start his wardrobe with two nice suits for so cheap. I turned right around and used the money to thrift more things for myself. Everybody came out a winner. The ones people on this thread hate are the guys who clean out whole stores and who list $4.50 sportcoats for $199 on eBay (I know you lurk on this thread you prick).
So, if you ever find an A&S suit in a 46R I'll gladly pay you for your trouble...

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up today,

Etro Shirt, size 42
NWOT Kuhlman Pants 34x32, Made in Italy
Armani Shirt 16/32
Faconnable Pants 35x30

First two on ebay

Dahl5Yankees

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found a food mill! Its not that big a deal and its really not the nicest food mill in the world (no interchangable sieves, etc) but I have seriously been hoping to find a food mill in a thrift store for almost 2 years. It is the exact model (Foley model 101) from this wikipedia picture:
Food_Mill.jpg
$3 which was surprising since it was from the store that is always super expensive

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
Just a quick trip out at lunchtime;

An Austin Reed wool cricket jumper - some holes, but hey that makes it more bohemian:

p1090077.jpg

And a nice older New & Lingwood yellow and white stripe chambray shirt - a little small in the collar but I'd never wear this buttoned up with a tie anyway:

p1090078.jpg

Cool Find

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I found a food mill!

Its not that big a deal and its really not the nicest food mill in the world (no interchangable sieves, etc) but I have seriously been hoping to find a food mill in a thrift store for almost 2 years.

It is the exact model (Foley model 101) from this wikipedia picture:
Food_Mill.jpg

$3 which was surprising since it was from the store that is always super expensive

I'm guessing most people don't know what the hell it is. What does a food mill do?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
I'm guessing most people don't know what the hell it is. What does a food mill do?

It makes purees easily (like a food processor) but by design it leaves things like seeds and skins behind. It lets you get a nice smooth puree without peeling/seeding or mashing things through a sieve.

Also, unlike a blender or food processor it doesn't aerate your puree so you get richer flavor and deeper colors (a tomato sauce that stays deep red rather than going pink like it does in a blender).

People used to use them a lot back in the day (for making apple sauce and canning stuff) but they are sort of having a comeback right now so I have been hoping to find an old one in a thrift shop to give a try.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found my second Etro shirt of the day at another thrift store, in midnight blue size 42

Posted on ebay

Dahl5yankees

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
It makes purees easily (like a food processor) but by design it leaves things like seeds and skins behind. It lets you get a nice smooth puree without peeling/seeding or mashing things through a sieve.

Also, unlike a blender or food processor it doesn't aerate your puree so you get richer flavor and deeper colors (a tomato sauce that stays deep red rather than going pink like it does in a blender).

People used to use them a lot back in the day (for making apple sauce and canning stuff) but they are sort of having a comeback right now so I have been hoping to find an old one in a thrift shop to give a try.

Sounds like we need to head over to your house for dinner! I'll bring the Cheetos and Schlitz
laugh.gif

buddy72

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord

My Mom used one exactly like that to make mashed potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads