The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

after a slow period e-baying, had a couple strikes lately. first, a light navy linen jacket that's just labeled "the claymore shop". this is an amazing jacket, nice heavy linen that never seams to wrinkle ... to my uneducated touch, it seems full-canvased, and definitely lots of handwork, including surgeon's cuffs, $35. Also, two PRL "Italy" jackets, one a very light, half-lined linen tweed ($5!), and another navy blue blazer, seems brand new, for $50. the latter i'll probably strip the brass buttons and replace with horn or something more to my taste. any suggestions?

Good finds.

2. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

At lunch:

Picked up a nice Oxxford summer weight plaid sportcoat in silk/wool. It's bespoke but fits perfect in the shoulders. The previous guy was at least a size larger in the waist (that's rare for me [​IMG] ) but that's an easy fix. It has no model name but it's center-vented, fully lined, and feels like it has little, if any, shoulder padding. I was pumped when I saw it was only $1.99 but then I saw why: the end of one sleeve looks like he got attacked by a dog! I slipped it on anyway and much to my delight discovered that the sleeves were too long - so long that the damaged area will be completely removed when I have them shortened. Score!

Also, a Luciano Barbera sportshirt for $3.49

3. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

the end of one sleeve looks like he got attacked by a dog! I slipped it on anyway and much to my delight discovered that the sleeves were too long - so long that the damaged area will be completely removed when I have them shortened. Score!

The same thing happened to a pure cashmere Chester Barrie sportcoat that I won on eBay. The damage was not described in the auction, so I got a full refund.

I am just curious that how could such thing happen. I'd imagine the hand of the owner of the jacket must have be badly injured.

4. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

The same thing happened to a pure cashmere Chester Barrie sportcoat that I won on eBay. The damage was not described in the auction, so I got a full refund.

I am just curious that how could such thing happen. I'd imagine the hand of the owner of the jacket must have be badly injured.

I know. Not to be morbid but as soon as I saw the gashes I checked the jacket for blood stains but found none. Maybe whatever it was jumped up and snagged it as it was hanging in the closet? I just feel for the poor guy because it was bespoke.

They didn't describe the damage? Like you weren't going to notice? Man, you've got to love some of those get-rich-quick mental giants on eBay!

5. wcl

wcl Senior member

[​IMG]
    Hickey Freeman Tie, Hermes Belt, older BB OCBD in great shape and my size, and some Randolph aviators. Also strangely enough, a recent Jos A. poplin suit that someone had the shoulders redone on. Suit is in terrific shape and has next to no padding. The alts probably cost as much as the suit did.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Just got back from a small vacation/honeymoon. Sadly, my wife and two friends were with me so any thrift stops were out of the question. Plus, I doubt there would be any decent clothing in Ames, Iowa or Wilmington, Ohio. Got back last night and couldn't wait to hit my favorite local shop. Well, as expected some flipper came in and cleaned out all the dated Mani sportcoats and the orphaned Armani Collezioni jackets. I did find a few good records today, but no clothing finds.

7. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Just got back from a small vacation/honeymoon. Sadly, my wife and two friends were with me so any thrift stops were out of the question. Plus, I doubt there would be any decent clothing in Ames, Iowa or Wilmington, Ohio. Got back last night and couldn't wait to hit my favorite local shop. Well, as expected some flipper came in and cleaned out all the dated Mani sportcoats and the orphaned Armani Collezioni jackets. I did find a few good records today, but no clothing finds.

We'll congratulations...at least on the nuptuals!

8. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Congrats! Okay, you can tell us, we'll keep a secret: did you thrift your tux? [​IMG]

9. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Congratulations

I was wondering why I was hitting so many great finds here in the Twin Cities!

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    "Just got back from a small vacation/honeymoon. Sadly, my wife a... was with me"

boy, talk about priorities. hats off!

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Haha, thanks all! [​IMG] I did indeed thrift my tux. It's a D/B peak lapel Canali. A pretty recent model as well. I got it about 2 years ago (we were engaged for three years!) for $10. It fit me like a glove. Shoulders, sleeves (showed the perfect amount of cuff), waist, inseam....everything was spot on. All it needed was a button of the left cuff. That was easy, as I bought a orphan tux jacket for $2 on clearance and got the buttons from that. Shirt was a NWOT Zegna tux shirt with MOP studs I got for $5. Shoes (Black Allen Edmonds) and silk bow tie were around $3-$5 a piece over the past couple years as well. All in all, everyone was amazed when they asked "Did you rent that or buy it? It looks amazing!" and my response was "It was $10 from the Salvation Army." I also told them that it took me about a year to find the right tux. There were many polyester "Knights Formal" tuxes I've ran across that were dated and thus donated from the shops.

12. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

I gave up on the chain stores (i found out they used a central distro.)

and i found 2 hole in the wall thrifts,

picked up 2 Girogio arman le collezoni shirts.

i passed on alot there but will go back hopefull soon, saw some BB shirts and fred perry shirts

13. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Found a few things recently:
    Lanvin Jacket 40R, some vintage tie clips/bars,...
    All are for sale or trade. Check the link in my sig for pictures.

14. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

Found a top frame all leather carry on and matching suitcase, used once or possibly new @ $4 and $5 respectively.

15. ermo

ermo Member

Found a brand new pair of J&M Presidents collection in my size. Nice shoe and unworn, but appears to be a second because there is no size mark and the interior leather lining is black, not tan.

Appears the presidents collection is discontinued, anybody know anything about them? They are nicer than the optima and siilar to aristocraft in construction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.