• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey bros.

Pics of the new pad!!!
lurker[1].gif

They give you access to the interwebz, can't be that bad of a place!

Last edited:

div25sec9

Reaction score

Ha! Too funny!

:happy:

First off, some context. Our house was built in 1956 and I've seen walk-in closets in new houses as big as our "master" bedroom. Plus I share the closet with my wife.

i try to stick to a 1 in / 1 out policy but usually I end up playing catch up. Today's shirt tipped me over the edge. I needed to do something. I alternate my wardrobes - spring/summer and fall/winter - boxing each one up when it's not in use. That's one way I economize on space. Today I pulled out the fall wardrobe and began to cull from it and the summer stuff, based on what wasn't used much (or at all). Some of the cull of the fall stuff is based on stuff for fall/winter that I pick up in spring/summer.

In the end I had 2 black garbage bags to donate. One was outerwear and sweaters. How much outerwear and wool can one person wear? No, don't answer that.

And then there were a few things I put aside to sell, particularly some HT SCs. I also just sold a Boss SC I bought before I discovered the thrifts. I'd been hanging on to it because it cost so much but I never wore it. It was actually kind of a relief to do it.

I think this is the key for most of us; a wife to keep us in check.

cakebug

Reaction score
I also had one of my best days ever...and it was just a half-day. Matched 4 suits, and had a couple firsts. Pics to follow...eventually.

Suits:
E. Zegna x 2
Carroll & Co.
Canali (bought pants first, matched jacket a couple hours later at a different SA)
Luciano Barbera

Sport coats:
Caruso (Sartoria Parma)
Oxxford
Corneliani x 2
Pal Zileri
Isaia (Gianluca) x 2

Shirts:
Brioni x 2
Lorenzini
Adriano & Sons

Trousers:
Oxxford
Zanella Unicorn Cords

and this....

My first non-tie Kiton.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits:
E. Zegna x 2
Carroll & Co.
Canali (bought pants first, matched jacket a couple hours later at a different SA)
Luciano Barbera

Sport coats:
Caruso (Sartoria Parma)
Oxxford
Corneliani x 2
Pal Zileri
Isaia (Gianluca) x 2

Shirts:
Brioni x 2
Lorenzini
Adriano & Sons

Trousers:
Oxxford
Zanella Unicorn Cords

and this....

My first non-tie Kiton.
marchal.gif
MEOW! Sweet! Hope it will purrrrrrrrrrrrrr for you!!!

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to NOT go thrifting today and instead went through my stockpile of stuff for the bay. It was insane how much good stuff I had that I forgot about. 2 recent Canali coats, 2 recent Monsier Givenchy gold button sport coats, John Varvatos coat, tons of other stuff. Spent the majority of the day taking photos, measuring and listening to records. Side note: Today, I realized that I love the Wipers.

Had 15 minutes to stop by a GW on my way home from work on Friday and found about 15 Hickey Freeman suit coats all from the same donor. All 40R. Found one matching pair of pants for a coat so I got that and one HF tweed. It kind of killed me having to run out to pick up my fiance from work and not keep searching the pants. I sent ilikethelights a text about it. Hopefully he stopped by and found some stuff.

There was also a really nice seeming tweed coat that was labeled "Perth, LTD." for $8.99. I passed because I couldn't find any info on it. Should I have picked it up or good pass?

Last thing: Spoo - I never thought I'd be jealous of a Jos A Banks purchase, but you did it. That RLPL jacket seems okay, too.

tonylamer

Reaction score
Hudson's Bay Inuit parka. I spotted this on a rack that had been left near the register as I was leaving to pay. The "pros" who chase down the racks as they're being wheeled out clearly have a reason to do so:

And I know that there are vinyl guys on the thread who'll appreciate this: before eBay hit big and people camped out in stores thrifting everything, I routinely found stuff like this: first pressing promo. copy of the Morning Dew lp.

And this:

But I was in high school, so "routinely" meant whenever I could convince my grandfather to take me to the Buy the Pound that's now a condo. Anyway, I've since moved to a place that has zero flippers, and it's a teak/vinyl/vintage paradise. It's like a pre-eBay Garden of Eden. I won't post too many pics, but these were had for twenty cents each: Horowitz Warhol cover and early Milstein.

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Pretty happy with the latest findings
lurker[1].gif

Purple Lacoste Jumper - Size 3 - $20 NWT @ Value Village

Red 100% Lambswool Made In Scotland Johnston's of Elgin Jumper - $11 @ Value Village

Pink Made in USA BB OCDB - $11 @ Value Village

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score

And I know that there are vinyl guys on the thread who'll appreciate this: before eBay hit big and people camped out in stores thrifting everything, I routinely found stuff like this: first pressing promo. copy of the Morning Dew lp. And this: But I was in high school, so "routinely" meant whenever I could convince my grandfather to take me to the Buy the Pound that's now a condo. Anyway, I've since moved to a place that has zero flippers, and it's a teak/vinyl/vintage paradise. It's like a pre-eBay Garden of Eden. I won't post too many pics, but these were had for twenty cents each: Horowitz Warhol cover and early Milstein.
Awesome finds. I often pick up classical for myself but have never researched the genre in terms of which lps are valuable. These 2 are now on my radar atleast, so thanks for that.

shirtsnmor

Reaction score
Quote:
I knew I saw somebody picked this label up. What is the deal with this label. I can't seem to find anything on here, eBay or the web. I picked up what looks like a cashmere overcoat.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And I know that there are vinyl guys on the thread who'll appreciate this: before eBay hit big and people camped out in stores thrifting everything, I routinely found stuff like this: first pressing promo. copy of the Morning Dew lp. And this:
PM sent....

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CAPNWES

SNOOGZ

DANM

ATLNOOB

Thank you for the good stuff, good trades, and selling me stuff! Right gents, you lot.

Right back atcha. A little slimming work at the tailor and I'll finally have a decent selection of staple suits and sport coats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads