• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness to JAB, at $40 they're likely losing quite a bit more than $1 a pair.

Let's say they lose $50 per pair right. How many pair were ordered in the 20 minute span? 1,000? is it worth a 50K hit to get all the bad publicity for a multi-million dollar company? maybe.

Last edited:

thriftydood

Reaction score
Anyway, back to thrift finds--some leather goods:

Vintage Herz leather tie case

Saddleback Leather IPad case (available)

Vintage Coach bag

Vintage Bloomingdale's shoe care bag

Coach women's belt (available, Small)

Miu Miu women's belt (available, 32)

Gucci women's belt (available, 30)--unfortunately, it is damaged. Is there a simple do-it-yourself way to fix it?

Rag & Bone women's belt (available, Medium)--Made in England

Some men's belts--the first two are older finds, but I don't think I ever posted them in this thread: Martin Dingman (available, 40), Trafalgar (available, 40), Brooks Brothers (available,34), Giorgio Armani

Coach briefcase

Some more items with (a little) leather:

Tumi IPad/tablet tote (available)

Tumi laptop briefcase (available, for small laptops)

Tumi laptop briefcase (available, for small laptops)--probably my favorite ballistic briefcase that I've come across, but unfortunately too small for my laptop

Tumi laptop briefcase (available, for larger laptops)--appears to be older as it was made in the USA

Brenthaven laptop briefcase (available)

Garasaki

Reaction score
I tried ordering 25 pairs. My cart updated to full price...when I saw that #, I quickly X out of it. Lol.
lol

I'm in the camp hoping they honor the orders.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're well within their right to cancel the orders, if it was an accidental pricing mistake then they'll simply say sorry and refund any money.

If they've already shipped it they'll honor it, but that's the only condition where they're required to.

*here's their disclaimer from the privacy policy section*

Disclaimers

Jos. A. Bank attempts to provide the most recent, accurate and reliable information on our web site. However, the web site may occasionally contain incomplete data, typographical errors or other inaccuracies, or feature an item which is no longer in stock. Jos. A. Bank does not warrant that the information accessible via this web site is accurate, complete or current. Any errors are unintentional and we apologize if erroneous information is reflected in merchandise price or item availability, or in any way affects your individual order. Jos. A. Bank reserves the right to correct errors and to update product information at any time, including after an order has been submitted and confirmed. Prices and merchandise shown on this website do not represent an offer to sell. No action by Jos. A. Bank prior to shipment will constitute acceptance.
musicboohoo[1].gif

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's say they lose $50 per pair right. How many pair were ordered in the 20 minute span? 1,000? is it worth a 50K hit to get all the bad publicity for a multi-million dollar company? maybe.

My guess is a lot more than 1,000 pairs were ordered. You're talking about buying $150 bills for $40--who wouldn't max out their CC? I initially ordered three pairs for myself, one in each color, then thought about it and ordered ten additional pairs, five in burgundy, five in walnut, and that was exercising restraint (so, if this actually happens and you wear 10D, I'm your man). If I'd maxed out my cards and cleaned out my checking account, I could've had 700 or so pairs. Figure, conservatively, $100 profit for each pair and that's an easy 70 grand free and clear.

The way this thing lit up, I'm guessing they sold more than they had, and I'd be shocked if they don't cancel everyone. Mistakes happen, and the publicity, if any, wouldn't be overly bad. Certainly, it would not be as bad as what BB did a couple years back during a post-Christmas sale when they advertised $200 crocodile watch bands with sterling silver buckles for $20, then sent out cheap-ass bands with stainless buckles that were worth, at most, $20. A despicable bait-and-switch that earned them a nasty letter from yours truly, but they got neither bad publicity nor did they even bother apologizing to anyone. If BB would pull something like that, certainly JAB will say, "Sorry, boys, we made a mistake, but as a token of our regret, here's a three-suits-for-the-price-of-one coupon."

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is a lot more than 1,000 pairs were ordered... certainly JAB will say, "Sorry, boys, we made a mistake, but as a token of our regret, here's a three-suits-for-the-price-of-one coupon."

Way to be the voice of depressing reason Pnut...

Last edited:

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally ended up buying 29 pairs (until they cancel) without any money, they had Bill me later promotion for 6 months interest free. That's all i wanted to mess with or I would have maxed out cards...I'm sure theres people that could have easily bought 500 pairs on a credit card.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense, but buying 29 pairs is just absurdly greedy. Obviously Jos. A Banks made a mistake and grabbing a couple pairs for yourself/family/whatever is cool. But 29? Come on.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score
If anyone bought a 9.5d in brown, hook a brother up...:smarmy:

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense, but buying 29 pairs is just absurdly greedy. Obviously Jos. A Banks made a mistake and grabbing a couple pairs for yourself/family/whatever is cool. But 29? Come on.

and if you found 100 Hermes ties at a thrift for 99 cents, you're just going to get the 3 that you like and leave the rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads