• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vestimenta I believe. Styling is good, very modern and RLBL-ish. I'd pick it up for sure if it's in good shape.

Well it should depend on vintage, no? Pre 2000ish, it should be GFT SPA, same factory that made Armani and Valentino. Then GFT went belly up and the license went elsewhere. The GFT label has been posted before in the thread.

Oh, and 30 kitten ties at tjx? I think my heart would explode in celestial joy. 30 "cape cod" brand ties at tjx? Well, that's just Tuesday.

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which one of you was at TJX with 30+ kiton ties around your neck?

I found one he missed.

7 fold self tipped 100% linen kitten. Best tie I've handled by far. Sorry cappeli!

Saw a couple Charvets but left them. Wide and weird patterns.

Ouch. 30 Kiton ties at 30 each—I would have cleaned them out too.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found one of those the other day as well! 30 bux! :nodding:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never ever button the bottom button on anything. Sometimes you can button the top two, but usually just the middle on a 3 button.

This rule applies to waistcoats as well.  Just FYI.
Unless the waistcoat is DB. Then you button them all.

Nice Persols....unfortunately prescription.

:lol: :nodding:

Quick story my coworker (a thrifting regular for records/stereo stuff mostly) just told me... he was dropping off a couple crates of records he cleaned out of his collection last night. Mostly classic rock stuff, a bunch had the Goodwill tags still on them when I looked through them this morning. The guy at Goodwill unloading them for him first asked "anything collectible in here?" and the told him how he just started working at Goodwill again recently and it's really helped his record collection. Knowing how fast records fly off the shelves here, I took that for basically being told "we're taking all the good stuff here first" :paranoia:

OTOH, he might just have the finest collection of pan flute music on the planet.

Think of all the times you heard someone say, "OooOo...Kenneth COLE!!!"

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which one of you was at TJX with 30+ kiton ties around your neck?

I found one he missed.

7 fold self tipped 100% linen kitten. Best tie I've handled by far. Sorry cappeli!
Saw a couple Charvets but left them. Wide and weird patterns.

Nice. I've yet to find any really high-end ties at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. I found 2 corneliani, but nothing else worth bragging about. There seems to be a lot of RLBL floating around both right now, shirts and pants. Given the price that my local TJ Maxx charges for some of the designer brand ties I have seen there (versace, for example), in combination with my bad luck in finding ties there, I'm inclined to believe an outlet like Neiman Marcus is a better use of my time when it comes to getting good ties cheap. The brands are always there, and it's not too difficult to find them for <$50, but it's definitely more fun finding them at tj maxx.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score

+1

Any regulars from Boston? I thought Typhoid Jones is.

Thanks guys. Truly a tradegy. I am safe and seems that all of my friends in the area are too. My girlfriend just missed the chaos and actually heard the explosions. Crazy stuff. Hope the other guys from Boston are safe. I think I remember TyphoidJones saying he is on vacation right now.

I'm pretty sure Typhoid mentioned he was flying back in the next day or so. Hope he doesn't run into any problems.

^^^ Hey guys! Thanks for the concern, but all's well on my end. It's just so weird to look at all the bombing pictures because everything is so nearby (I bought my dish towels at that C&B in a few of the main explosion images). It was a sad day.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Here's some Wisdom, Knowledge & Truth: Speaking of Robert Graham and the Maxx, I dropped by my fave looking for Kiton ties after recent poasts here got my hopes up...and found none. And they appear to have just loaded the racks with awesome markdowns of everything, they were stuffed (OK, I won't pay $139 for an RLBL cashmere sweater, but I acknowledge that's a hell of a deal if you're in the market).

However, I saw Robert Graham ties. They were marked down to $20, which, after checking completed eBay listings, realized doesn't work for me for flipping because I am too lazy to eBay myself and must share my spoils with ******-busting consignors on this thread whom I really, really appreciate.

However, you eBay warriors might try it, heh...especially if you find those fugly RG ties are marked down even steeper. Almost bought a fantastic corneliani linen summer SC, was ready to fork over $180 but shoulders too narrow. Also, check near the registers for Happy Socks marked down to $3, some of them are too out of control loud but other patterns wearable with your thrift fits.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, check near the registers for Happy Socks marked down to $3, some of them are too out of control loud but other patterns wearable with your thrift fits.
These are awesome. Fresh out of high school I attended a private college in Florida with a strict dress code (ties and jackets required). They had no rules about socks other than you had to wear them. I always hit up the local thrifts to find the loudest socks as my only way to fight it. I wore Christmas socks every Friday counting the days til I could travel home for the holiday. Christmas was the only time, other than summer break, we were allowed to go home. I would have bought and worn all of the socks on this site for sure.

On a side not about this. We had several formal events, where we were to wear at least a suit...tuxedo if possible. I found a Velvet Baby Blue Bell Bottom Tuxedo at the goodwill for the event. It was the ****! Keep in mind, I was 17, 115 lbs, with all my hair, so I could pull of that outfit a little better than I could today (at twice the age/weight and half the hair.... lol). I have no idea what happened to the tux. Knowing me, there's a good chance I sold it at some point. I think there are pics of me in that suit somewhere at mom's house, I will try to dig them up next time I go home.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a side not about this. We had several formal events, where we were to wear at least a suit...tuxedo if possible. I found a Velvet Baby Blue Bell Bottom Tuxedo at the goodwill for the event. It was the ****! Keep in mind, I was 17,  115 lbs, with all my hair, so I could pull of that outfit a little better than I could today (at twice the age/weight and half the hair.... lol). I have no idea what happened to the tux. Knowing me, there's a good chance I sold it at some point. I think there are pics of me in that suit somewhere at mom's house, I will try to dig them up next time I go home.

We love you, man, but seeing you in a velvet baby blue tux?

I dunno..

NormP

Reaction score
Hey gents,
This is my first post at all on the forums. I've been lurking for a week or so. My interest in nice clothing has been rekindled thanks to my girlfriend and in browsing the net I stumbled upon styleforum, and then this amazing thread.

Anyway, I found this Donegal tweed at Goodwill a couple days ago and snagged it after a quick google of the brand. I'm curious if anyone can tell me whether this is a nice sport coat manufactured in Ireland or an Asian job using Magee cloth? I found an interesting tag that seems to indicate it was made for a shop in Ireland, but I can't tell if that also means it was produced there as well. I did a search of the forums and couldn't find the answer I sought.

The amount of information on this website is mind boggling, so I'll beg pardon in advance for my rank ignorance on most topics in the future.

Anyway, here are some cell phone pics I snapped on the way out the door this morning:

Last edited:

NormP

Reaction score
Ok, for some reason I can't seem to get multiple pictures to attach. Let's try again:

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Made by Magee with Donegal Tweed.
A nice coat if it fits. Less brand awareness than Harris Tweed if you intend to flip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads