• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

staxringold

Reaction score

Do you like the male attention? Do you feel butt hurt because no guy on here is saying "Oh DM7, you look so fabulous and delicious!" ... You sneeze glitter!

Do you not understand how offensive it is to make jokes based upon a stereotype? The only difference between this and "You're eating fried chicken? Man, stop acting so black!" is it's still more acceptable to knock gays vs. blacks?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to assume all of this was a very elaborate April Fools day troll. Well played, you weird bastards.
I already "liked" but I'll +1 here too. Settle it down, folks. Back to business. Oh, and Andro: +1 to bringing back Sammy Sosa.
Inorite? I LOVE my JPress 3 piece. Thrift fit.
My camera card was full and I didn't have time to delete stuff. So I didn't get the obligatory shoe shot (suede Peals), or the closeup tie/jacket/shirt pattern shot. Also, trust me, these trousers are NOT baggy. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're just about indecent, esp when I sit. :( I'm starting to think it's the angle I'm shooting at. Need to try a tripod.... Pal Zileri Isaia RLPL "Handcraft Inc" silk square (??), made in Italy Trafalgar Isaia Peal

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice, Greg!

Thrift fit of my own:

IMG_2310.jpg
IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

Borrelli jacket (Xenos)
BB shirt (Steve Smith)
BB tie (thrifted)
BB trousers (outlet)
Sargent for BB shoes (clearance)

Garasaki

Reaction score
So yesterday I nearly walked out of local GW with a huge pile of stuff to flip.

Orvis button down short sleeve shirt, polo morino wool (bad spelling) sweater, Hart Shaffner Marx jackets, Hickey Freemen jacket, Mantoni jacket, gianelli jacket, Corbin jacket, brooks brothers 1818 pants. Couple of really nice jackets. None of it fit me. I wussed out, I don't think I know enough to effectively flip this stuff (ie too newb) and I don't really think it's worth my time to be honest.

Wish just one of the jackets was the right size.........several were close but S sleeves, which were between 3 and 6 inches too short on me.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So yesterday I nearly walked out of local GW with a huge pile of stuff to flip.

Orvis button down short sleeve shirt, polo morino wool (bad spelling) sweater, Hart Shaffner Marx jackets, Hickey Freemen jacket, Mantoni jacket, gianelli jacket, Corbin jacket,  brooks brothers 1818 pants.  Couple of really nice jackets.  None of it fit me.  I wussed out, I don't think I know enough to effectively flip this stuff (ie too newb) and I don't really think it's worth my time to be honest. 

Wish just one of the jackets was the right size.........several were close but S sleeves, which were between 3 and 6 inches too short on me.

Sounds like you made the right decision on a bunch of that stuff. Some might have been worthwhile.

If the sleeves on those jackets were actually 3-6 inches too short, then the bodies were too short as well. 3 inches maybe, but not 6. Only time I've seen a sleeve that short in relation to the body was a jacket that was clearly altered for an unusual circumstance (one sleeve was actually about 6 inches shorter than the other).

Garasaki

Reaction score
I kinda figured out of the maybe 20 things I'd have bought, 2 of em would have actually been worth more than I payed for em, and I'd have been lucky to double my money - so it would have been a boatload of work to make 50 bucks.

I certainly don't know how to tell the good from the bad yet, but it was nice to put my hands on at least a few things that were good. The craftsmenship and material was noticable, even for a noob, on a few of the pieces.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice, Greg!

Thrift fit of my own:

IMG_2310.jpg
IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

Borrelli jacket (Xenos)
BB shirt (Steve Smith)
BB tie (thrifted)
BB trousers (outlet)
You always have that "I'm very pleased" look in your thrift fits.
nod[1].gif

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to see the thread right itself after a mad April 1st.
Here's my thrift fit.

Zegna (might be an orphan, but I think it works)
Gitman
No name silk knit
Loro Piana
Alden

^ Nice, Greg!

Thrift fit of my own:

IMG_2310.jpg
IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

Borrelli jacket (Xenos)
BB shirt (Steve Smith)
BB tie (thrifted)
BB trousers (outlet)

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sounds kinda gay, brah. Embrace the gay! Drive up to Washington and marry your lover! It's ok to do that there! You're calling me a bigot??! Lol. Do you even know what that word is?! I have been nothing but nice to everyone on here. You sir... are the bigot or maybe even a gasbag. All talk, but no pictures to show proof. You know how this thread goes... "Pics or it didn't happen" 

Does that hurt your feelings? Do you like the male attention? Do you feel butt hurt because no guy on here is saying "Oh DM7, you look so fabulous and delicious!" ... You sneeze glitter!

The **** am I reading here.

Last edited:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kinda figured out of the maybe 20 things I'd have bought, 2 of em would have actually been worth more than I payed for em, and I'd have been lucky to double my money - so it would have been a boatload of work to make 50 bucks. 

I certainly don't know how to tell the good from the bad yet, but it was nice to put my hands on at least a few things that were good.  The craftsmenship and material was noticable, even for a noob, on a few of the pieces.

It happens to everybody, especially early on.

For example:
I copped everything from my post a couple of days ago, but two of the shirts are not going to work. The Notari (whatever that is) seems well made, but has no flipping value so I'll return it unless anyone here wants it cheap. It measures as something like a 15x33. I've decided the Canali is just a little too small for me, so it is also available. Marked a 40 or 15 3/4. The sleeves are around a 34, because they are close but not quite long enough for me. pics behind spoiler.

A quick trip today.

And is this the Canali I'm looking for? I really don't know shirts, just learning that field.
Shirt is a casual shirt, not dress shirt. Kind of a stone color light weight twill.

Last question, has anyone ever heard of Notari Bologna? I've never heard of it, and can't find anything on the web.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iG2jvhll.jpg

For Ian, since he wanted to see a fit with the backpack.

Schneider (not thrifted)
Uniqlo (50% off sale)
Levi's (Marshalls)
Ferragamo (eBay)
Backpack (Trade with Ian Erickson)

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
spam%5B1%5D.gif

Also, always looking for size Medium short sleeve Tommy Bahama shirts (sold or crazy floral patterns) on the super dirt cheap, like under $7 shipped. I personally don't pay more then $5 for them myself or just pass. I guess most of you pass them without thinking twice but these would be gifts. I've found about 10 in the last year or but more is better
nod%5B1%5D.gif
Thanks!!
Was out at lunch, checking out the Tommy Bahama selection (sorry Brian all XL today) and I found this. Never knew this was a thing, kinda polar opposite of their normal stuff.

Pataloha (Patagonia)
100% Organic Cotton Hawaiian Shirt

Laughed audibly.
It was pretty bad, snapped some pics of the damage today when I went back. I couldn't find the third suit (which was worse), someone will be surprised when they get home.

Pics don't show the damage very well, you can actually see right through the fabric.

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We are going to need some monthly reports on the magical effects.

Well I was wearing the ToJ when that girl gave me her number last week. Sometimes people stare at me when I wear the Schneider but sometimes I think that's because it comes down to mid-thigh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics