1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I found something that I could potentially flip for quite a bit, but I'm starting to get annoyingly attached to it. As a poster put it, if you don't keep it know that you'll probably never see one again...

2. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Yeah I'm pretty much sure I'll be holding on to it, I know I'll never see another in a thrift. It was one of those great moments where I know my eyes got huge when I saw it. Love when that happens.

3. Sam Edge

Sam Edge Well-Known Member

Just wanted to give a shout out to 330CK for the awesome Oxxford SC I got in the mail yesterday!
    Thanks for offering up - it is by far the best SC I own.
    I am really still pretty excited by it - I don't see things of that quality much here in my part of Minnesota.
    Thanks again!

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Hah! Brings me back to my Catholic school days where everyone had to play something...I was zither, recorder and triangle, hence I had to ask. Later played real (concert) flute and acoustic guitar, neither all that well.

Whenever I see a fancy-pants xylophone at a garage sale or in a shop I have an urge to buy it - they are so cool looking but probably a bitch to play. Also get a kick out of bagpipes and steel / kettle drums which many people find unpleasant to listen to.

2 people like this.
  5. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

Basically just a piano that you play with sticks! I would totally buy one if I came across it!

6. 330CK

330CK Senior member

:slayer:
    :cheers: Glad this stuff went to good homes. Taking a quick break from taking photos to offer more stuff: Thrifted this a couple weeks ago. The next day I find the compact, hand-held version which is what I wanted originally AND given this exact steamer set. So, I'm offering this to a longtime thread contributor for the cost of shipping. I don't think it's ever been used. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bill's rust orange cords. Wish these were 8 sizes smaller. These are open to anybody that contributes in some way to the forum, in any thread. Waist: 38" Rise: 12.5" Inseam: 29.75" (+1") [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. R01gt

R01gt Well-Known Member

Whoever said a few pages back that now is a good time to thrift got it right - over the past couple days I have seemed to find something in almost every store - quite a rarity for me.

Apologies in advance for photo quality and lighting - didn't want to drag out my rig tonight.

Here are a few highlights:

6-pack of Allen Edmonds in pretty good shape (some bowing on the sides of the loafers I didn't notice till i got home but oh well)

[​IMG]

I am loving the whole-cut brogues (Fairfax) - they have a nice petina on them and in my size. Sole is pretty much shot but thinking a resole is in order

[​IMG]

NWT Danner USMC boots -

[​IMG]

Finally, shoe find of the day...

Alden Shell Chukka's

[​IMG]

They need a little TLC but that shouldn't be a problem

[​IMG]

Assuming the white residue is built-up wax

[​IMG]

One of my favorite tailored finds in a while - Bespoke jacket with more hand-work than I've ever seen before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very minty Brioni jacket - mission find the pants will continue next week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWT Aquascutum Tweed

[​IMG]

Staple navy Zegna suit - unfortunately pants are pleated but oh well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brioni #2 - color didn't come out right but it is pale green silk with a little bit of the raw-silk texturing effect - no pants here but will continue the search as well

[​IMG]

Unfortunately noticed the lining trashed a bit when I was snapping the pics

[​IMG]

Faconnable made in Italy 3 roll 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super mint RLPL white/cream linen pants

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barbour Liddesdale - first Barbour for me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and my favorite find - Wall-E Pixar NWT Reyn Spooner shirt. Just ended up buying because I like the movie and thought it was cool for a few $. When I got home I found out that apparently these Pixar Reyn Spooner things are a thing so if you guys find them in the field out there grab them for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  8. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

A Few days into my roadtrip. So far its been amazing
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. R01gt

R01gt Well-Known Member

Quote: Awesome thrift fit GMMcL

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    4 people like this.
  11. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

12. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

[​IMG]

That Volvo is "Approved". gorgeous.

(And WES, with the no-look, reverse camera selfie!!!!!!)

13. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Yup..something you never thought you would find in a thrift...those are the moments....and keep the meter..you will regret if you part with it.

14. jmeb

jmeb Well-Known Member

It may be time to admit I have a tie-thrifting problem. All except the crest tie (which I had to earn) have been picked up in the past couple of months after getting my first acceptable-to-wear-a-tie job.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Man I am working in someones wake... Struck out at 4 different places. Ended up picking up a recent minty Joseph Abboud POW Suit with Loro Piana super 120's that I am regretting picking up now...

DM7? Xenos? Cotton Dockers? Who cleaned out LA?

16. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

Does anyone know anything about this company?

http://www.sartoriastirling.com/

I found a shirt by them, it fits and is a definite keeper; quality seems to be on par with my Borelli...but I can't find anything more about them then the web page.

Are they custom only? What would retail be?

17. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Decided to thrift today. What a terrible terrible day. San Francisco has gotten pretty bad to thrift in. There are hella flippers and the Goodwills/SalvationArmys/OutoftheClosets have gotten really good at spotting quality.

Today I went into one of the Goodwill Boutiques. AND IT WAS LITERALLY LINED WITH LORO PIANA. Loro Piana sweaters, jackets, shirts omg. And they were pricing them close to ebay prices. 200 for poly blend jackets, 70 for cash/cotton sweaters. So mad. Only grabbed a baby cashmere sweater cause it fit.

Then I went to a Salvation Army. The counter was full of Tiffany's jewelry (wtf? did Tiffany's decide to donate their stuff?). All of it was $100+ so didn't cop, cause it was mostly silver.

10 hours spent thrifting and only picked up a Loro sweater, Flippia K stuff and t-shrits.

Edit: THEY EVEN HAD NOM DE GUERRE DENIM FOR $70 JESUS.

1 person likes this.
  18. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Damn that sucks, last time I was in SF, stopped by 2 place, and struck out both times.

19. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

This will probably be my last big trip in a while since student teaching starts Monday. I found some weird shit today.

Shells!

Stuart McGuire shell PTB's. Same exact model and same unusual size as a few months ago.

[​IMG]

Nettleton Black Shell PTB's. These are ancient.
    [​IMG]

Not shells. AE Polos.
    [​IMG]

Good pants that fit me. Crazy. Didn't know the Steven Alan x Dockers collab existed.
    [​IMG]

Hockey jerseys. That Lumberjacks jersey is something I've been looking for since the moment I started thrifting.
    [​IMG]

Carter's Workwear sale. Heavyweight chambray and selvedge natural denim jeans. $20 each. The shirt has crazy small arms. No way you could do actual "work" in it.
    [​IMG]

Paul Smith Floral
    [​IMG]

Let's play a game of guess the maker!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. DanM

DanM Senior member

This needs to be an avatar. Either Wes's, or someone with his blessing.
    I'm looking at the pic, and I don't see a problem. Perhaps not enough ties... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.