• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
love the snark

work at home friday thrift fit that makes me look all the 30lb overweight I am, but at least I'm warm in this chilly house

shirt -- orvis twill houndstooth (SA)
corneliani wool cable knit cardigan (Marshalls, I think $60 marked down ~80%)
bean cords (SA) they don't look poofy like this, really...I guess because i was leaning forward or something odd in the pic?
Army combat boots (surplus)
Your Christmas tree must be in the wrong spot. (EazyE photo reference)

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^Randy you crack me the **** up. edit: That was also funny Wes, but he is looking in the right direction. :nodding:

Last edited:

TheBurnOut

Reaction score

love the snark

work at home friday thrift fit that makes me look all the 30lb overweight I am, but at least I'm warm in this chilly house

shirt -- orvis twill houndstooth (SA)
corneliani wool cable knit cardigan (Marshalls, I think $60 marked down ~80%)
bean cords (SA) they don't look poofy like this, really...I guess because i was leaning forward or something odd in the pic?
Army combat boots (surplus)

Dude, eggs go in the fridge.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know what the deal is with that rule. They didn't ask me for proof on my fit, though I don't know if that's because they forgot or because they don't really enforce the rule.

I entered!

I sent them this pic.

Brooks Brothers "Brooksgate" POW: $15 @GW
Brooks Brothers slim fit, semi spread collar, white dress shirt: $7 @GW
Luciano Barbera rust print tie: $2 @SA
Florsheim Imperial brown wingtips: $5 @GW

Plus a little side story to go along with the fit.

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

LooknGr8

Reaction score

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dig that is the best fit pic I have seen in forever what is the story that goes along with it?

lastdonb

Reaction score
Now that the dust has settled from the Brioni explosion:

Recent, staple medium brown HF "Oakbrook" for Nordstrom's, 3-button, dual vent, double pleat cuffed, lightweight, very soft wool, slim 40R, too long for me, available:

PTP 21½, (measures 20 ish at second button), sleeve 24½-25 +, length BOC 31", pants (lined to knee) 34+2 x 32 (cuffed) it's in great condition, only things needs to be done is on one pant leg, the seam thread came loose for about an inch at the knee.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your Christmas tree must be in the wrong spot. (EazyE photo reference)

lol8[1].gif

Dude, eggs go in the fridge.

crackup[1].gif

I entered!

I sent them this pic.

Brooks Brothers "Brooksgate" POW: $15 @GW
Brooks Brothers slim fit, semi spread collar, white dress shirt: $7 @GW
Luciano Barbera rust print tie: $2 @SA
Florsheim Imperial brown wingtips: $5 @GW

Plus a little side story to go along with the fit.

What's the story, Dig? We are all ears!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this might be my fave fit pic of yours, very nice.

Thanks! It's my favorite of all that I've taken.

Dig that is the best fit pic I have seen in forever what is the story that goes along with it?

This could take a while. I hope you brought a lunch! :lol:

Back around 2009, I made a lifestyle change in order to lose over a hundred pounds and thus far, have managed to keep it off.

In an effort to replace my old wide body wardrobe, I ended up here (like so many of us) while google searching men's clothing and got sucked into the need to learn about how clothes should look and fit. I had already dipped my toe into the thrift waters when I purchased this cheap assed, horribly fitting cord coat, complete with upper denture in the inner pocket!

I was still working on the fine art of posing to show my new clothes to best advantage. The hair was still a work in progress as well. :embar:

With the tough love that you can only get from the WAYWRN thread, I gradually learned what fit me and looked right. Spoo was one of my biggest cheerleaders but there were several others who helped as well and they ALL called it like they saw it. I highly recommend it to anyone who is trying to learn like I did but be advised, one needs to accept the criticism constructively or people will tire of one's defensive explanations of why people shouldn't be so harsh and they will stop helping.

I found a local alterations lady who eventually accepted my instructions for fitting my finds in a way that other men usually don't. She's eastern European so after the first efforts on an H. Freeman & Sons, she realized that I was going for a more tailored, continental fit and actually had a clue. I tipped well on that suit and several other smaller projects.

I found that Brooksgate POW at what would become my 'honeypot' for BB suits. It was my first big find other than the H. Freeman that I happen to like as well. I took it to her and we altered the hell out of it and she barely charged me for the work! I wore it to work one day with the intention of finding a nice location to set up my (thrifted!) camera and tripod.

It was late afternoon and the place was closed. The sun was lower in the sky and I started taking pics. When I saw that one in the display, I turned off the camera, folded the tripod and called it a day.

I posted it up that night in WAYWRN and got a pretty favorable response.

That's about it!

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It's my favorite of all that I've taken.
This could take a while. I hope you brought a lunch!
lol8[1].gif

Back around 2009, I made a lifestyle change in order to lose over a hundred pounds and thus far, have managed to keep it off.

In an effort to replace my old wide body wardrobe, I ended up here (like so many of us) while google searching men's clothing and got sucked into the need to learn about how clothes should look and fit. I had already dipped my toe into the thrift waters when I purchased this cheap assed, horribly fitting cord coat, complete with upper denture in the inner pocket!

I was still working on the fine art of posing to show my new clothes to best advantage.

With the tough love that you can only get from the WAYWRN thread, I gradually learned what fit me and looked right. Spoo was one of my biggest cheerleaders but there were several others who helped as well and they ALL called it like they saw it. I highly recommend it to anyone who is trying to learn like I did but be advised, one needs to accept the criticism constructively or people will tire of one's defensive explanations of why people shouldn't be so harsh and they will stop helping.

I found a local alterations lady who eventually accepted my instructions for fitting my finds in a way that other men usually don't. She's eastern European so after the first efforts on the H. Freeman, she realized that I was going for a more tailored, continental fit and actually had a clue. I tipped well on that suit and several other smaller projects.

I found that Brooksgate POW at what would become my 'honeypot' for BB suits. It was my first big find other than an H. Freeman & Sons that I happen to like as well. I took it to her and we altered the hell out of it and she barely charged me for the work! I wore it to work one day with the intention of finding a nice location to set up my camera and tripod.

It was late afternoon and the place was closed. The sun was lower in the sky and I started taking pics. When I saw that one in the display, I turned off the camera, folded the tripod and called it a day.

I posted it up that night in WAYWRN and got a pretty favorable response.

That's about it!

Wow, Dig, talk about a transformation!!!
fing02[1].gif

How did you loose all that weight?

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score
(double poast)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads