• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are three sections worth 800 points each now. Colleges are often only interested in the math and critical reading score, so adding those two gives the score out of 1600. Counting the writing section obviously will give you your score out of 2400.
Huh...wow, I would have done much better if there was a science section back in the day. I think I only had a 1350 or so.

Vintage Leather

Reaction score
If its any comfort, the OxBridge applications are a bitchkitty. I started looking at them for my son (second grade isn't too early to start looking, right?) and the reason they don't look at your grades is because they think American grades are hyperinflated, ergo they expect you to demonstrate competence in your application.

Since when do the SATs go over 1600? Did they add more questions or something?

They added a third test.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Cornlieiani ID is slightly less expensive. Usually has plastic buttons, right? Whatever the case, it sells for (in my experience) about the same as regular Corneliani, at least in regards to shirts.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't caught up with everything yet, just a couple of pages (and mine are set to somewhere around 50/page). It looks like there were some really cool things picked up, especially by the usual suspects (Wes, Brian, et al.). I'm going to get back to PMs as well, sorry for any delays! Moving on...
Before ebay you should check with HansderHund on the tie, it should be right up his alley.
I appreciate the thought and I would be completely interested had I not found this on Friday...
Pretty close to Bavarian, so thanks again for the thought :)
Thrift fit, just to prove I can hang in the big leagues.
Deets: Suit: Stuart by Samuelsohn, thrifted by me Note, whitebalance is off, glenplaid in suit has brownish hue. Shirt: Nothing special; paid retail Tie: T&A grenadine micro dot, thrifted by me Square: Nothing special, but hand rolled Shoe: Nettleton (?) pebble grain longwing in whiskey. thrifted by me (though found by Catside)
Looks great! A bit busy as you said, but love it overall...especially that suit!

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tonight my wife and I went to the Muse concert in Vienna. Great concert, though the opening band was awful and I'm too old to tolerate the standing section by now. Anyway, my wife took the day off from work and I took off at noon so we could get there a bit early and hit a store of two.

A couple of ties....

I left a pretty recent Gucci because they wanted €21 (!) for it.

Any hat guys here?

I found something I've been seeking for awhile...

Borsalino that is in great condition, but I haven't had a chance to try to date it yet. Definitely a bit older I believe.

NOS Ottmar Reich hat. I left a beautiful Lock & Co Homburg that was in mint condition, but it was tagged at €45 and it was huge on me. I probably could have listed it and easily doubled up, but I was in a bit of a rush so I sadly left it.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are three sections worth 800 points each now. Colleges are often only interested in the math and critical reading score, so adding those two gives the score out of 1600. Counting the writing section obviously will give you your score out of 2400.

Oh well if you are calculating it that way I got a 1500 I did poorly on the writing section I got a 12 on the essay but missed all the grammar multiple choice xD

But there's always a chance that a don will come across a post about hallucinogens! I would suggest keeping that stuff off the public web, if I were you, Ian.

That is true although I assume it would be harder to come across that on a forum like this than what people are posting on Facebook although I probably should change my username

guyver00

Reaction score
Nice that you found a Borsalino that fits you. I'm still on the lookout for one that'll fit my giant (XL) head :happy:

Shiny

Reaction score

Thrift fit today... Pretty pleased with the fit, not so much with the pics... Think I need to break out my tripod and use my eBay photo setup

Boglioli flannel blazer, eBay
Borrelli shirt from Klobber
Vintage Oscar de la Renta tie from the 1960's (still has the $30 price tag on it) thrifted by me
Howard Yount Italian flannels
Church's chocolate suede loafers traded from Patrologia

Looks pretty solid.

Ya'll think DM7 is hot **** what with his finding Phil Jackson and Cedric the Entertainer's clothes?
Well, I'm not Catholic but......
BAM

That's right. The motherfkn Pope's green Polo coords.
There was a Pope Pierce, right?.

Maybe the dude's mom labeled them b4 she sent him to summer camp (in hot ass cords).

Only one notable find today. Somehow this made it to half off week at one of my semi-frequent stops. Excellent shape. Gorgeous octagon MOP buttons.

I thrifted a S Ricci shirt a while back with the same buttons.
P1010296.jpg

A weird quirk about this shirt is that it doesn't have holes to insert collar stays. However the stays are in there sealed up. Does yours? I hope they don't ever break.

tubs

Reaction score
Here's the XL Pendleton jacket I saw earlier. I can go back tomorrow morning.

Should I have picked up this Dunn & Co Harris Tweed? It was a hair too big in the shoulders and would need a lot of tailoring in the waist/back and arm slimming for me to use it. Are these pretty easy to trade/sell on here?

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrift fit today... Pretty pleased with the fit, not so much with the pics... Think I need to break out my tripod and use my eBay photo setup

Boglioli flannel blazer, eBay
Borrelli shirt from Klobber
Vintage Oscar de la Renta tie from the 1960's (still has the $30 price tag on it) thrifted by me
Howard Yount Italian flannels
Church's chocolate suede loafers traded from Patrologia

Nice look. IIRC, don't you work in IT? Do your co-workers give you much **** about your clothes?

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I have picked up this Dunn & Co Harris Tweed? It was a hair too big in the shoulders and would need a lot of tailoring in the waist/back and arm slimming for me to use it. Are these pretty easy to trade/sell on here?
Definitely. You could easily make some money on it, I would think.

Wait. What size was it?

Last edited:

Hoofit

Reaction score
Just some shoes from the past couple of weeks. I wear 12D and all I got is these.
L->R
Florsheim shell long wings 9.5C, Magnanni 7D, AE Glasgow without the tassels that I need to put on 11D, Brooks Bros. unlined shell 10D with some issues and some RL Darltons cigar shell 9.5D
IMG213.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads