• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiron

Reaction score
Picked this one up, and I have convinced myself I can wear this in Florida (please do not ruin this for me). Actually, I will be fairly comfortable in it going to and coming home from work, as anything below 65 is jacket time down here. It will also come in handy when traveling. Elbow pads not pictured, it also has a waist belt that is hidden in the back.

Did you happen to see a 42R?

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I prefer patterns to solids; just seems more interesting. But I appreciate that not everyone agrees.

Actually, I think you pulled it off much better than most could--between the tie, shirt, PS and jacket, you had four different patterns going on, which is a lot of balls in the air, and you didn't miss by much. It takes stones to try, and you deserve props for that. If you keep at it, I think you'll eventually nail it, even if the trousers and socks make it six patterns.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice look. IIRC, don't you work in IT? Do your co-workers give you much **** about your clothes?

Thanks! Software, but close enough. They're used to it by now... been doing it for over a year. Some of 'em even started wearing ties to work.
lol8[1].gif

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would definitely have grabbed the Dunn & Co

Yup. But leave the Pendleton--I'm a huge Pendleton fan, but it doesn't work for me and not sure if it would for anyone.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked this one up, and I have convinced myself I can wear this in Florida (please do not ruin this for me). Actually, I will be fairly comfortable in it going to and coming home from work, as anything below 65 is jacket time down here. It will also come in handy when traveling. Elbow pads not pictured, it also has a waist belt that is hidden in the back.

WANT! I almost bought one like that at a clearance sale for like $495 last year. Gorgeous!

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think everyone flips BB shirts to start....then you grow old and tired of them and don't want to be bothered. The ONLY BB shirts I will touch even at $1.50 are slim fit and "purple label" luxury shirts. Everything else is just a PIA. If you do it right you won't ever lose money but just the profit vs. time is not worth it after a while.

Yeah, that's the issue, more or less. I'm still small-time enough that I don't mind so long as I don't lose money. I'm in the midst of a major two-years-coming cull, and, my lord, I have made a lot of mistakes. Two dozen shirts, a dozen sweaters and a lot more got re-donated yesterday, and there's still a lot to go through. Plus I have about a dozen pairs of shoes to sell.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Windowpane Top Coat 38-40R

Sleeve length, please be a 26-27"?

Just some shoes from the past couple of weeks. I wear 12D and all I got is these.
L->R
Florsheim shell long wings 9.5C, Magnanni 7D, AE Glasgow without the tassels that I need to put on 11D, Brooks Bros. unlined shell 10D with some issues and some RL Darltons cigar shell 9.5D
IMG213.jpg

PMd you on the RL's.

Snagged this today, only hit one store... $14.99, brand new deadstock (no way this was ever worn, it's CRISPY) G-1 US Navy bomber. Easily the nicest leather jacket I've ever seen, 99% sure the collar is real fur, the leather is unbelievable. Only bad thing? Tagged 10r, which I guess is TECHNICALLY a woman's size - but this would fit a 36 or slim 38 great, arms are fine length, body is right length as long as you're 5'10-ish, zipper is on the right side as on men's jacket - anybody know any reasons I couldn't cross list this on Ebay in the mens category as well? Not really convinced this is any different from a men's 36, lol, in fact all the numbers on the label match up with the men's ones on Ebay so idk. Any info on this, post it up.

Cut out the size tag?

There were a bunch of these at a Bloomingdales outlet, if theres one near you.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thrift/discount/inheritance? bragging thread. Can't believe I didn't figure this out before, but a RN# search on the content label on a cashmere sweater I got a year ago turns out to be RLPL.

Towers

Reaction score
If anyone comes across a white or ecru OCBD in 16.5/34 slim fit at thrift prices, please proxy for me.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's one thing I miss, being able to wear heavy clothing. When I leave the office it's usually chilly enough to justify a coat, although it's certainly not necessary. I think I'll be able to get some use out of it.

Also at the polo outlet tonight saw some retail Polo unlined brown herringbone tweed jackets (patch pockets) marked down to 119 from something like your jacket was tagged ($895-ish). Passed because they were really really nice but between Spoo and Harris Tweeds we all find...not the greatest deal. But there was temptation, the NWT thing...

I can't ever seem to find a Harris, but I have found a few other brands.

Damn... Yeah the marshalls out here has a sweet unlined tweed jacket right now, I forget for how much... Still too much for me currently but it doesn't matter as they only had up to size 44, story of my life.

They only had a 44 and a 40L here...thanks for the socks BTW, they are really nice.

They had a 40L. I wear a 42R suit jacket and the 44L was perfect for me. I'm glad it was a L and not a R, as I prefer longer sleeves on coats because I can't stand it when they ride up my wrists when I extend my arms - and I also hate coats that ride up above my waistband. Here are some more pics in case you're interested in the 40L.

WANT! I almost bought one like that at a clearance sale for like $495 last year. Gorgeous!

Thanks, and luckily this one was significantly cheaper than that, otherwise I would have had to pass.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Evil Abed

Reaction score
thanks for the socks BTW, they are really nice.

Yeah I saw that you got the socks, was really strange how it tracked them. How do they fit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads