The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Forgot that I never posted pics of this jacket I found a while back that has quickly become one of my favorites. I love the cut of it, I think it's quite slimming with its straight lines. (Excuse the wrinkles, I need to steam it / stop wearing it when I'm working).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gusseted shoulders for more mobility.

[​IMG]
    I've never seen the little cord lock things in metal. I think there's 6 of them on this coat, and branded too.
    [​IMG]
    Nice soft collar lining

[​IMG]
    Speaking of the collar, cool closure... And the hood hiding in back, when neatly folded like it is, keeps the collar standing up nicely.

[​IMG]
    After seeing other ZegnaSport stuff at marshall's, I can only imagine what it cost new. Lucky for me it was only $12.

2. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Love that jacket. In Florida, I am stuck with shorts and short sleeves all year round. Maybe a long sleeve shirt when it gets "really" cold. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yup, actually I've seen quite a few Riccis with octagonal buttons. I even found a polo shirt once that had em. Maybe a "signature detail" of Ricci. Mine is the same way with the collar stays. Actually, I've never seen a Ricci shirt that had removable collar stays and I've had quite a few over the years. You'd figure for a $700 shirt, you'd have removable collar stays.

4. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

This is a lighter weight jacket too, I usually don't need too much warmth to get by around here unless I'm out working for extended periods in cold temps. I can only imagine the lack of a need for jackets in Florida... Just got down there for the first time in March and it was a unique climate to say the least.

5. GoldSpider

GoldSpider Member

Just picked these Florsheims up for $5. I'd like to believe there's a fairly good chance they're vintage Imperial Shell Cordovan. Can any experts confirm or refute my suspicion before I get them re-soled and cleaned up?

[​IMG]

6. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

had...to....restrain....self....got some Christmas shopping done at the scourge of earth, outlet malls (but I know what's where, and no crowds, a big deal in sales-tax-free NH) and I saw it when I swung by BB: Tan houndstooth BBGF 100% cashmere SC from the retail store (as opposed to outlet junque), unlined...stunning, 50% off...at which price it's still more than an iPad...

...but I'll spend my dough with you guys and put out an APB when I am really ready :slayer: and not buy impulsively.

7. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Has anyone tried the method on a sweater? Found a cool Lord Jeff, whaler rib 100% cotton sweater that has some grease or something on it and wanted to ask before I took the leap.

8. suited

suited Senior member

I should have been looking more closely at the tj maxx and Marshall's racks. I left these...who knows what I have missed over the last 3 years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picked this one up, and I have convinced myself I can wear this in Florida (please do not ruin this for me). Actually, I will be fairly comfortable in it going to and coming home from work, as anything below 65 is jacket time down here. It will also come in handy when traveling. Elbow pads not pictured, it also has a waist belt that is hidden in the back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

What's the worst that could happen?

No, seriously. As someone who has ruined a number of clothing items via the method, what's the absolute worst that could happen -- you're out $5? Think of your contribution to science!

Edit: FWIW, I've used the method successfully on several pair of wool trou to ... well, let's just say to bring the linings back to their more natural state. Be warned: I've found that anything with reds are most prone to running. This includes a pair of charcoal barberis wool trou, which, it turns out, use red as one of the colors to make gray.

11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Also at the polo outlet tonight saw some retail Polo unlined brown herringbone tweed jackets (patch pockets) marked down to 119 from something like your jacket was tagged ($895-ish). Passed because they were really really nice but between Spoo and Harris Tweeds we all find...not the greatest deal. But there was temptation, the NWT thing...

12. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Damn... Yeah the marshalls out here has a sweet unlined tweed jacket right now, I forget for how much... Still too much for me currently but it doesn't matter as they only had up to size 44, story of my life.

13. mainy

mainy Senior member

Snagged this today, only hit one store... $14.99, brand new deadstock (no way this was ever worn, it's CRISPY) G-1 US Navy bomber. Easily the nicest leather jacket I've ever seen, 99% sure the collar is real fur, the leather is unbelievable. Only bad thing? Tagged 10r, which I guess is TECHNICALLY a woman's size - but this would fit a 36 or slim 38 great, arms are fine length, body is right length as long as you're 5'10-ish, zipper is on the right side as on men's jacket - anybody know any reasons I couldn't cross list this on Ebay in the mens category as well? Not really convinced this is any different from a men's 36, lol, in fact all the numbers on the label match up with the men's ones on Ebay so idk. Any info on this, post it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

I don't think Gibson & Barnes made naval issue G1s. I believe it's a replica made for civilians, which would explain female sizing. Still not bad -- they retail for $3-400.

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

one of my favorite shirts is a loose-weave white with blue windowpane Breuer that doesn't have holes for collar stays. i figured it was like that because it's a really casual shirt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.