• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jowen

Reaction score
I am new-ish to Styleforum, so I wasn't sure what to expect from buying/trading. Big thanks to Green Machine, HansderHund, Tweets and jkidd41011 for exceeding my best expectations! Nice stuff all around and shipped quickly...thanks all!

Recent finds:

My first knit tie (unavailable for now)

Luciano Barbera Linen/Silk - Available

I don't really even know what to say about this other than I don't think I will find anything as nice as this for a long time...I wouldn't have picked it up a month ago since there is no label inside, but now I am paying attention to canvasing and this sucker is fully canvassed...

A staple charcoal suit, side vented and a very tailored fit - fits me perfectly so unavailable unless someone really twisted my arm...

Money shot

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
I don't want to commit to this answer, but I think it is.

Nope, this is what you are looking for:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't really even know what to say about this other than I don't think I will find anything as nice as this for a long time...I wouldn't have picked it up a month ago since there is no label inside, but now I am paying attention to canvasing and this sucker is fully canvassed...

A staple charcoal suit, side vented and a very tailored fit - fits me perfectly so unavailable unless someone really twisted my arm...

Money shot

Wow, they don't turn up to often..even if it is 20 years old.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am new-ish to Styleforum, so I wasn't sure what to expect from buying/trading. Big thanks to Green Machine, HansderHund, Tweets and jkidd41011 for exceeding my best expectations! Nice stuff all around and shipped quickly...thanks all! 

Recent finds:

Sure that's a knit? :confused:

Jowen

Reaction score
Sure that's a knit?
confused.gif
No, I am not sure actually...maybe a semantics issue...it is a wool tie, but judging from your question, a wool tie does not equal a knit tie...is a knit tie usually silk? I may have been confused about knit vs wool ties, so thanks for making me think about it!

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I am not sure actually...maybe a semantics issue...it is a wool tie, but judging from your question, a wool tie does not equal a knit tie...is a knit tie usually silk? I may have been confused about knit vs wool ties, so thanks for making me think about it!
Yours appears to be woven, not knitted. And yes, there are knitted wool ties. Still, that is a nice looking tie IMO.
http://www.mrporter.com/product/311..._-Reversible&gclid=CI_r9MHmsrICFQjc4AodU1EA-w
http://shopwittmore.com/products/wool-jacquard-knit-tie?utm_source=google-product-search

Last edited:

thriftydood

Reaction score
As others pointed out, definitely not a knit tie, but nice nonetheless.

And wow on the Huntsman.

Recent finds:

Last edited:

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
i pass on anything that says lanvin, ysl, or christian dior 99.99% of the time, see it all the time and its all junk - if the piece is MODERN looking then its probably worth something, if it feels old and crappy, move away immediately

felt like sechs

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, that's a standard woven wool tie. Still a nice casual winter tie, but not a knit. Knit ties are radically different- they're knit like a sweater or a sock would be, and usually square bottomed. You certainly won't see a plaid like that, because it's not really possible to do in that format. As for material, there's no rule- you'll find wool knits, silk knits, and cotton knits, or blends of those materials. Can't say I've ever seen a linen knit.

But here are some examples.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Nope, this is what you are looking for:

I've been trying to think of a good image that people could post when someone asks about an old Lanvin, Dior or YSL piece. I was thinking...

Or maybe something a little more tactful.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a couple of minutes yesterday on the way home so I stopped by a place that always has great prices, but seldom has great stuff. Found a couple of things in my size though.
First Borrelli shirt for me. I’d be more excited, except that it is a casual twill button down in a color that I’m not sure works for me. (Slightly lighter than in this pic.) Thickest MOP buttons I’ve seen though – price of the shirt was worth it just for the buttons if nothing else. If I decide I can’t work it, I might make it available, but not yet. Any idea how old this label is?

Then a Norman Hilton heavy wool suit in an earth tones Glen Plaid pattern. I don’t have any pics yet, but I don’t think it is going to need any alteration. Maybe I’ll have the legs lengthened, and I’ll probably have them lined (might try it myself). Weird thing was, the tags and waistband lining all seemed pretty crisp. I guess the previous owner never wore it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads