1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Good work, man...

I began my quest into proper clothing in a similar manner. I lost about 25 pounds during the winter of 2011-12, and had to buy an almost new wardrobe. I've always been a thrifter, but have greatly expanded the upper-end of my wardrobe. I used to be a shorts and t-shirt guy, now at least I'm wearing button-up shirts, pants and shoes most of the time (Aloha Fridays beingthe exception!).

Cheers!

2. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

Haven't posted anything in a while, so following are several weeks' worth of finds:

Probably my rarest jeans find to date:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Levi's offender jeans, made in USA, barely any wear (not sure if they were ever worn or if fades came from factory)

I'm not sure what to do with them right now--they are my size, but the rise is ridiculous (these are supposedly the lowest-rise men's jeans ever--as you can tell, the zipper comes with only one button).

Summer ties:

[​IMG]

L-to-R: cotton blend, linen blend, linen, patchwork cotton madras, silk but feels like linen blend. Only brand worth mentioning is the middle tie, 100% linen Bullock & Jones made by Breuer.

More ties (all recent):

[​IMG]

L-to-R: Etro, Canali, Versace, Battistoni, Pink. The Battistoni is a first for me. I've come across Versace and Thomas Pink before, but never any I wanted to pick up, so they're firsts as well.

A few more:

[​IMG]

L-to-R: Hermes, Zegna, Talbott patchwork repp. I rarely pick up Talbotts, but this patchwork repp tie is probably my favorite from the ties in this post.

One more:

[​IMG]

vintage untipped lightly lined shetland wool tie

A few shirts:

super slim Miu Miu (size 16, available) and Loro Piana (size 17.5, available):

[​IMG]

Fray (size 16.5, less than 32" sleeves, available) and Hilditch & Key for Saks (size 17L, available):

[​IMG]

Ted Baker (sizes 4 and 5, available):

[​IMG]

recent Zegna (size 17.5, available) and BoO (size M, not available, mostly because it has some flaws):

[​IMG]

J. Press (size 16.5/36, available)

[​IMG]

Oxxford (15.5/35, available):

[​IMG]

A few sportcoats/blazers:

Bobby Jones Collection made in Italy (size XL, but seems like a 42-43/R-L, available)--I don't usually pick up Bobby Jones, but this seemed really nice, 3-roll-2, double-vented, unlined in the back, nice pattern, last picture best shows the pattern/color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Country Club Loro Piana navy blazer (size 45R, available), single vented:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helmut Lang cotton flannel jacket with elbow pockets (size EU 48, available), a press sample, fully canvassed, cuffs can be converted to functional, single-vented, pockets in the front are still all basted shut:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some outerwear and layers:

vintage J. Crew made in England blackwatch toggle coat (untagged size, fits like an oversized small/medium, probably available), horn buttons:

[​IMG]

North Face vintage made in USA down vest (size small, maybe available):

[​IMG]

Arc'teryx Apache Zip Fleece pullover (size L, available):

[​IMG]

Hats, all in size 7-1/4-7-3/8, all but one are wool, all available:

Stetson

[​IMG]

Lock & Co

[​IMG]

Lock & Co (just dust in the picture, the hat is in excellent condition)

[​IMG]

Dobbs

[​IMG]

Stetson (poly-cotton blend)

[​IMG]

Unmarked

[​IMG]

Stetson

[​IMG]

Dobbs

[​IMG]

Gleneagles

[​IMG]

Resistol

[​IMG]

A few pairs of shoes:

D&G brown suede loafers (size 42.5, available)--blake-stitched, good quality but really loud shoes:

[​IMG]

English benchmade black wingtips (UK7 I(?), fit like a US 7.5D/E, available), the shoes say Church's on the insole, but the heel markings and writing indicate Loake, so I presume Loake for Church's.

[​IMG]

Pollini burgundy captoes (10, on hold for someone else, but might be available if they don't fit him), blake-stitched with channeled soles:

[​IMG]

3. yossi

yossi Well-Known Member

Amazing story, digmenow. Congratulations.

4. eazye

eazye Senior member

Damn, kilt it ^^^^

5. eazye

eazye Senior member

Just a couple things today. This awesome pair of vintage, made in Italy Scarpa by Fabino mountaineering boots. These were in pretty rough shape when I found them.
    [​IMG]
    Halfway there:
    [​IMG]
    These fuckers were thirsty and I ran out of mink oil, so they still aren't quite there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some ties, never heard of this brand, but the tag reminded me of the Marinella tags so I took a gamble. It was only $1 so no big deal if it's shit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Paul Stuart with just New York on the tag so I'm guessing pretty old, and an interesting PRL. Tag says Bleecker Tie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also, some books.
    [​IMG]

6. yossi

yossi Well-Known Member

Dammit, do all of those hats have to be in my size? PM sent. Nice haul overall!

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Dig, I'm shocked every time you post one of your "before" photos....well done on the whole transformation!

Picked up a few things...

Pringle long sleeved sweater/shirt...what are these things called?

[​IMG]

Gore-tex Country Frey (Lodenfrey)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool, logoless PRL shirt. Heavy and well-made, but made in [some country, not Italy]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carrera Limited 5033s
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage Gucci frames (Rx lenses). The flash made them look filthy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daks pre-tied bow
    [​IMG]

Wool blackwatch tie
    [​IMG]

van Laack tie. Cool? Hideous?
    [​IMG]

Daks tie, made in Switzerland
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My personal favorite, an Atkinsons tie.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Oh, damn! I didn't see this post. I'd have waited another month rather than lose to plus fours and argyle! Welcome to the Runway Show!

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

No way Dig. You got this in the bag for sure.

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Cool, of course. Who doesn't love a good paisley? Useful color, too.

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Wanna bet? Have you seen some of the others?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Jowen

Jowen Senior member

A couple of recent finds:

Nice Charcoal Canali staple suit - 2 button (keeping)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Super thick Ricci Luxury Tie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RRL Western Shirt - XL

[​IMG]
    Pendleton Riding Jacket - 40

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PRL Fair Isle Handknit - N/A
    [​IMG]
    Sweet, heavy ass Pendleton Shacket - L
    [​IMG]

13. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Big shout out to TheBurnOut for hooking me up with a kick ass mini houndtooths SC! That shit is mint but need some tailoring. Nevertheless, that's a good dude to do your SF business! [​IMG]

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

:) I lost over a hundred pounds in 6 months with little or no exercise and never felt like I was starving. I was absolutely ready to lose the weight and firmly committed to the program

Take Shape For Life. .

Hmm... that remains to be seen. :lurk:

Much appreciated!

Congrats and thanks for the props!

Thanks!

Inorite?

I should probably put up a NSFW tag or something so you guys that have suffered through my story so many times before can have a heads up and skip it! :lol:

15. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Senior member

16. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

That was a phenomenal tie!!!!!!!

I see Louis, Boston tags here in thrifts. Anytime I see that or Mr. Sid at thrift stores it gives me a little Zegna in my pants....:D

Now, 1/2 of them are damaged, super-old orhave some other flaw that would give any of us pause. However, that label's always a good sign. Louis moreso than Sid.

Seriously, when you get to a Marshalls/Maxx loaded with good stuff, you end up walking out with little, because you see a lot of nice things for $200 or $300 or whatever per item, and they are just not bargains even at that. That being said, I have bought some all-time great items in my rotation NWT (100% silk cable knit Polo sweater, that Corneliani wool cardigan I poasted earlier both market WAY DOWN to even thrift-store bargain prices) but I haven't found any flippable stuff because the buy-in kills the eBay potential, even if I were sellign it myself on eBay & not consigning to Spoo (I am too lazy to eBay myself). I know a lot of you guys have lucked into other super bargains, I'm not discouraging you from kopping...just...I wouldn't worry about "missing out" because once you see it, it's not as good as it seems here on Tha Thread.

Here's some intel I probably will piss off people for revealing, but anyone in Boston area, the Maxx/Marshall's across the street from each other off Exit 19A on 128 (Needham) is the Best. Ever. I've gotten some sweet RLPL (AE) shoes there, and my best finds. But you have to go there, like, 20 weeks in a row to find a few things people here would praise you for (or you can flip on the B&S).

Oddly, the Maxx/Marshalls pair closest to the TJX Mothership in Framingham...I've only found a few bragworthy things here and there on many many visits. I guess Needham has more $$$ in the 'hood -- and of course, the Filene's Basement in that shopping district folded last year, which emboldened the buyers at the Max/Marshall's no doubt.

PS: I have endorsed Spoo before, but damn...let's just say I bought an iPad and when you first sync that thing it prompts you to give it a name. I s#1t you not, I named mine "ThanksSpoo" because it was totally accurate.

1 person likes this.
  17. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Just received my new Ray Ban 2132 in the mail along with some metal collar stays. Got them off of Amazon.com at a discount!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. mainy

mainy Senior member

spend $18 on a pair of... bruno magli's today :fu:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    pretty sweet though IMO. looks like some guy bought them in 1992, wore them two or three times, and then stuck htem in the closet

19. DanM

DanM Senior member

Picked up some ties. Canali, Holland & Sherry Bespoke, Ted Baker London, Turnbull & Asser.

[​IMG]

20. 2010Greek

2010Greek Well-Known Member

So DM7 AKA The Thrifting Mob Boss of LA, stopped by today and said there's a Uhaul coming [​IMG]. I thought he was joking, and then he say's "Mr Greek My Best Friend You Have amazing hair [​IMG]!!" So anyway we're chilling, My wife serves him some good Greek food my Grandmother made. And Then He says OMG It's Hear [​IMG]!!! I love DM7, sorry for the crazy pics. I didn't know where to start or where to stop!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]