• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyMarr

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Saw an Alexander McQueen shirt in a charity shop in Islington, north London, for £18 last week.

I was about to purchase it when I realised that I was only doing so because it was AMcQ; quality wise it was no better than a high-street shirt and the colour was a rather foul mocha! Before you say it, no it wasn't fake, it was certainly real, just thoroughly unremarkable.

I have made mistakes in the past of buying things in charity shops purely because of the brand and then regretting it two weeks later.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Should I mention the two pair of Tuczek shoes I stumbled across at an online estate auction several weeks back? The auction house had them mislabeled, so I was able to snag them for the minimum bid with no competition. Unfortunately those do not fit me. Though maybe it is a good thing they don't, otherwise I would probably wear the suede pair.
Tuczek-black-right.jpg

Tuczek-black-soles.jpg

11850986_4_x.jpg

more photos please

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, so, this is my first real post... for my most recent purchase: a pair of shell cordovan vintage Hanover derby brogues. 9C with what look to be the original laces (forgot to photograph with them in place). Not available, however, at least not yet. Except for what looks to be brown paint / wax on the sole they look to be in decent shape, though I have been trying to touch them up a bit and spot-condition as needed to restore some flexibility.

I know they're not LB Sheppard's, but I'm still pleased with them. Query: Any thoughts as to their age? I can't seem to place them.
That line was made right up until Hanover shoe closed. So at the very minimum they would be around 33 years old.

mjt73106

Reaction score
Okay, that's weird. They do indeed fit me (10 D foot), but the conversion is supposed to be to a 12, like you said. Maybe E is normal width for Grenson (which also worried me), so they are actually a 12C, but my toes bend right behind the cap, which I think is proper. They fit me the same as the 10D Florsheims. I have no idea why they fit me so well. Maybe they are mismarked pair.
Could be mis-sized, which would help explain why they were never worn and later donated. Amazing find!

CesarC

Reaction score
That line was made right up until Hanover shoe closed. So at the very minimum they would be around 33 years old.

Thanks! That's what I thought, but I didn't know if there was a way to tell when during the scope of the model's production it was made, maybe based on serial number or something. Anyway, thanks for confirming my suspicion; judging from the patina I was guessing ~40 years old.

CesarC

Reaction score

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The gods of thrift have smiled upon me this weekend. It was a Me-Me-Me! weekend, with some great items in my size. On the way to a birthday party for some friends, I decided to stop at a Goodwill on the way. I headed to the shoes first and spotted this pair of AE. Anyone know anything about them?
AE-Reptile.jpg

I have an email in to AE customer service with the model number to see if they can provide any info. They are too small for me and not my style, and I don't expect to make any real money off of them, but picked them up in case anyone here or at AAAC would want them. They will need a resole, but the uppers are in pretty nice shape. They probably aren't especially noteworthy, but I'm throwing them in here for completeness sake. They are the first pair of AE I've found thrifting. The best pair of shoes I've found up to this point as been a couple pair of J&M's in nice shape.
8.5 E 63282 8
2669 COMB
Those are AE Clayton in Brown Genuine Lizard. That combination of Name, Color and Catalog number was only used from 1981 to 1983. Prior to 1981 the style was called Capri, and in 1984 the number changed from 2669 to 2667

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Those are AE Clayton in Brown Genuine Lizard. That combination of Name, Color and Catalog number was only used from 1981 to 1983. Prior to 1981 the style was called Capri, and in 1984 the number changed from 2669 to 2667

Please tell me.you at least had to look that up :wow:

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should I mention the two pair of Tuczek shoes I stumbled across at an online estate auction several weeks back? The auction house had them mislabeled, so I was able to snag them for the minimum bid with no competition. Unfortunately those do not fit me. Though maybe it is a good thing they don't, otherwise I would probably wear the suede pair.
Tuczek-black-right.jpg

Tuczek-black-soles.jpg

11850986_4_x.jpg

WOW JUST WOW! Might have been the finest shoemaker to walk the earth, congrats those are worth a pretty penny and looks to be in good condition.

Jowen

Reaction score
Found some great things this weekend...pics coming. Meanwhile, does anyone have any familiarity with Regent and Gordon of New Bond St? I found a sport coat that fits me perfectly and the jacket is fully canvased, surgeon cuffs, etc, but I can't find any info on them...anyone ever heard of them? It was too well made to pass up...Thanks!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are AE Clayton in Brown Genuine Lizard. That combination of Name, Color and Catalog number was only used from 1981 to 1983. Prior to 1981 the style was called Capri, and in 1984 the number changed from 2669 to 2667

eek.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Have basically done zero thrifting in a couple week but did pick up some RL sunglasses at Marshalls that I have a question about. Everything seems to indicate Purple Label from what I can find (there was no case or box or anything) but almost everywhere online lists them as women's. Does Purple Label makes more then men's for sunglasses? Does the Purple Label style script inside mean it's Purple Label? The model in question is the same as these. Made in Italy and super heavy feeling.

I guess this is all irrelevant since they don't fit my fat head right and I need to return them.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
DeadBoy, you are correct (although I have had a few pale ales as well). Awesome find, Grensons in near perfect condition - wow.

Heh, I was more of a California kind of inebriated. Literally had to re-read dude's sentence five times and then stop because my mind was blown.

Now, onto my finds from the past week. Finished my school semester, so I hit the thrifts a bit more than I usually would. Here we go:

Shirts! One Zegna (15/34), Canali (l-r 17/35, 17/36, 17/35, 17.5/35) Available

Pal Zileri Abito Privato (MTM line) sport coat Available

p2p - 24
Shoulders - 21
Sleeves - 25 (working cuffs)
Length from BOC - 32.5

J. Peterman unstructured cotton sport coat, size 40 Available

p2p - 22
Shoulders - 19
Sleeves - 25.5 (working cuffs)
Length from BOC - 31

And some stuff for me:

Oliver Spencer shirt, AE Carew loafers

Zegna trousers

Banana Republic unstructured cotton sport coat, made in Italy (probably by no one special)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads