• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you know that place you were tellin me to check out?

not that place
sly.gif

(havent swung by there yet)

Haha nice! I like your style. Great score!

aw82

Reaction score
I've poked my nose in a few thrift stores over the last few months and have always been completely disappointed. I've only bought something once (a mediocre HSM tie for $2) just to make the visit worth my while.

I recently went to a consignment store, however, and it was amazing. The prices weren't thrift-store comparable...more like the prices at a Macy's except high end brands with little to no wear (excepting trousers). I only bought a silk Neiman Marcus-branded burgundy twill tie for $24 and a Robert Talbott Best of Class navy with white Churchill Dots for $36. Both are in like-new condition, without a sign of wear, wrinkling, or staining. I realize neither of these prices are amazing as far as thrifting goes, but I am bragging because I was in the market for exactly these ties (in terms of color and pattern) and would have otherwise bought a lesser brand at slightly higher prices.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously, someone do a cliffs-notes version of the last week... Anything interesting I should know about?

From what I remember: New forum launched. Eazye been had Brioni overcoat. Everyone been had Turnbull and Asser shirts. pnutpug shared a crazy story about the police getting involved with an online tie swap box. Evil Abed found a brand new Billy Kirk bag. Someone found a Tom Ford jacket but unfortunately it's a pinstriped orphan. Spoo and Xenos have been to the Versace house. Jpmorris found a cashmere Purple Label suit, if I'm remembering correctly.

I've poked my nose in a few thrift stores over the last few months and have always been completely disappointed.  I've only bought something once (a mediocre HSM tie for $2) just to make the visit worth my while.

I recently went to a consignment store, however, and it was amazing.  The prices weren't thrift-store comparable...more like the prices at a Macy's except high end brands with little to no wear (excepting trousers).  I only bought a silk Neiman Marcus-branded burgundy twill tie for $24 and a Robert Talbott Best of Class navy with white Churchill Dots for $36.  Both are in like-new condition, without a sign of wear, wrinkling, or staining.  I realize neither of these prices are amazing as far as thrifting goes, but I am bragging because I was in the market for exactly these ties (in terms of color and pattern) and would have otherwise bought a lesser brand at slightly higher prices.

:fistbump:

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today allowed me to hop on the thrifted selvedge denim train. Haven't found a nice pair of jeans in 6+ months. Since I have two nearly identical pairs that need attention (still yet to be broken in), these are Claimed. RRL Japanese selvedge denim jeans. Tagged 32 x 34 but measure 35 x 36. Spots on the left knee aren't faded, just an effect from the poor lighting and the fact that they aren't flat on the ground.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, and yes. :nodding:
I'm pretty sure they are 'gator, as the scales don't have the sensor pore (though I'm guessing you weren't being that specific).
They had them listed as "Tuckerz" shoes or somesuch, so my immediate thought was some crappy slap-together made for Payless, but I knew as soon as I saw the shoes themselves that they weren't your average-Joe pair. I didn't know anything about Tuczek, but thankfully they had a photo up of the insole so I could research the correct name. My head then asploded. Waiting to see if anyone else would recognize them and bid against me was torture.
ThinkDerm, I've been waiting until the fall when people spend more time in front of the computer before attempting to sell them. I'll have a more complete image set up in my Photobucket album maybe next week. I have a bunch of tweed jackets I want to photograph first. I want to take my time and do these right. I'll probably sell the 'gators first and hold on to the suede for a while.

Can I ask what you paid, just for curiosity? PM if you wish.

How would you mail a suit hanger? Any ideas?? Thanks.

Pretty sure that fits nicely in a USPS 1097 box.

46n2

Reaction score
Found these nice suede made in Italy Faconnable shoes in my size for once ! Does anyone know who makes these? Or is it just Faconnable that makes 'em?

Anth

Reaction score
Thanks Evil Abed for the awesome deal! The suit was better than described!:slayer:

highlifeman

Reaction score
Pretty slow weekend for me, only hit a few stores as I didn't feel like running around in the all-weekend long heavy rains we had.

Saw a few pepole grabbed some RG's earlier over the weekend- after not finding one in about 2 months, I picked up 4 between 2 stores,
and actually left 2 others with condition issues...

Upper right corner (L) and lower left corner (3XL) are the same style shirt...that was a first for me in the same trip, from diff. store though....

Also picked up a few ties...

Faconnable, Zegna, RT seven fold, I think only the 2nd multi-fold Ive found (keeping all for now)

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Revisiting a blazer I picked up a couple weeks ago:

DB:

Didn't notice it has a ticket pocket:

Nor did I notice it has surgeon's cuffs:

Loro Piana Super 120's, untagged / bespoke:

...and part of what I picked up last weekend - anything with a non-GW tag was, of course, obtained on half-price day.

McKenzie Tribe linen made in Italy:

R&G / Robert Graham embroidered:

Bullock & Jones SFO:

..this Coogi:

...yikes!

Vintage (dead stock maybe) Speed Racer jacket:

Banana Republic made in Italy:

Unworn Rad Kap workwear:

Couple Ben Sherman groovy shirts:

Sailor Jerry shirt:

Fender Guitars Custom Shop shirt:

Pal Zileri Gruppo Forall (tag is perfect - camera flash washed it out):

Brooks Brothers worsted wool:

..I love it when something is donated with the original tag stuck in one of the pockets:

The only shoes I have ever thrifted for myself...my size, great condition, and Goodwill priced:

Nothing available at the moment.

TheStormnMormon

Reaction score

Whoa! I've yet to see a sevenfold outside of a full-line store. Great find!

So, today was pretty good for me. I ended up picking up a few killer ties* and a pair of boots...

* - pending authentication. Can anyone oblige me?

^ Charvet tie. Beautifully butter smooth and without a snag!

^ Label was missing.

^ Here's what appears to be a handwritten "31."

^ Tag on the skinny end reads Made in France.

^ Written in the signature script, Charvet. PARIS under the script.

^ Hermes tie. She's pretty wrinkled up, so I'm taking her to the cleaners ASAP.

^ Closeup of the threadwork.

^ There's the excess thread (its closer to my thumb.)

^ Sanders boots. Unavailable

^ Here's a shot of the interior markings:

MADE IN ENGLAND

Style 65673

WELFIT Size 9

04 MAY1330

Last edited:

Xenos

Reaction score
And don't take that Hermes to the cleaners. It will be soundly destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads