• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the point of bragging to a forum of a few members sucks imho, they'll all be back when they cant get that string of posts that heap praise and evoke jealousy from lots of members, like dm7 (whos super sensitive) just hope stellar posters like nataku and klobber stay.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the point of bragging to a forum of a few members sucks imho, they'll all be back when they cant get that string of posts that heap praise and evoke jealousy from lots of members, like dm7 (whos super sensitive) just hope stellar posters like nataku and klobber stay.

You clearly have a very poor grasp of the majority of posters within this thread.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You clearly have a very poor grasp of the majority of posters within this thread.

not really, ive been here since almost the beginning, and some posters here just have a bad attitude if another member says anything negative, and frenchy in all his reincarnations was originally banned and came back against the rules and blatantly lied about it. he should have been banned. endrant/

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear you, since I lurked for a long time before posting.  But the fact is, I stopped posting a majority of my finds a long time ago.  It gets to be pretty time consuming, and even stressful, when you receive an influx of pm's every time you post your best finds.  I've had people send a string of pm's requesting measurements and pictures, then just stop responding all together when they decide they aren't interested.  Most of those people only have a few posts, but I try to be nice and respond to pm's anyways.  In a nutshell, it has become difficult to post here just to brag.  

Nevertheless, as others have said, people will likely continue posting here including myself.  

Maybe it's just because I rarely find items worth being hounded for, but I kind of like that surge of attention when I find something truly epic and my inbox fills up with messages inquiring on size and availability. As someone new to this it makes me feel like I'm doing it right. Of course, if I was bringing home a dozen suits and shell cordovan shoes everyday (as it seems capnwes does - what is your secret???) then I could see how it might get tiring.

Anth

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm still new and was wondering if someone could authenticate these for me. I have a feeling both are fake but it was my first time seeing them in the wild so I took a chance on them.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys, I'm still new and was wondering if someone could authenticate these for me. I have a feeling both are fake but it was my first time seeing them in the wild so I took a chance on them.

They both look real to me.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There's a giant gap in "Hermes". It looks like this: "Her mes". :paranoia:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops, looks like 330CK posted the same while I was stuck in server upgrade mode.

I'm going to disagree with the verdict on the Hermes - there seems to be an awful lot of space between the R and the M, or am I seeing things? Quick look on Google Images and I didn't see anything similar, but what do I know, the only Hermes tie I've ever seen in the wild was so boring (diagonal stripes) that I concluded it had to be a fake. All the others I've ever seen have been here on SF.

Last edited:

Anth

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the verdict is still out on the Hermes. The Gucci seem to be legit?

highlifeman

Reaction score
+1, Hermes looks fake to me. here is an H pattern one I picked up & sold a few months back (authenticated by Spoo (if I recall) & several others here ) , tag on the one above looks way off..

edit: should have added.."but I'm no expert"..in there somewhere..could always be wrong.....
biggrin.gif

Not very familiar w/ Gucci.....

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not be one to underestimate the power of a sub forum where members have buddied up (particularly through the PM system here or in personal chats via email / Skype, beers at local pub etc). That throws a different spill on the post to brag.

I will be hanging around Styleforum for the forseeable future, but my post counts are on a steady decline and that is purely a reflection that I have other activities distracting me at the moment.

I have stayed quiet on the Frenchy front - I did not know the fellow very well and had little time to form a feeling of dislike or friendship towards him. He certainly appeared to be quite the character, although whether this was really him or an alter ego behind the sanctuary of a keyboard I do not know.

I did not catch his so called comments deriding anything Jewish, so cannot give an opinion on what was written. With people nowadays joining the PC brigade, I would imagine that what he wrote was blown out of proportion. Enlighten me please what was written by Frenchy / Valium that caused this furor so I can understand more where this ban came from (i.e. deserved ban due to unjust bullying / harassment or undeserved due to him just pissing off some thin skinned bigwigs around here).

From the moderator perspective, there is no such thing as an all inclusive policy invoking the totality of free speech. This site could theoretically be shut down if certain topics come up - all it would take are one or two pro-terrorist supporters here to throw Styleforum in chaos and subject to FBI investigation. Same would happen if certain members came out pro-pedophilia in the name of free speech. Free speech is conditioned I presume on the laws of the land, and if racism or racist activity are deemed a serious violation of human rights, then so called free speech in support of this activity would surely be deemed subject to moderation and ban worthy.

Attorneys / lawyer members here, please enlighten me if I am way off base :)

Last edited:

Anth

Reaction score
Yea I can see the difference...

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1, Hermes looks fake to me. here is an H pattern one I picked up & sold a few months back (authenticated by Spoo (if I recall) & several others here ) , tag on the one above looks way off..

Not very familiar w/ Gucci.....
I think you are correct. There are no spokes on the wheels of the one in question, and no accent mark above the second E. I am changing my vote to fake too.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see what we need around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads