• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dials

Reaction score
More fruits from the harvest:

Coach Thompson bag in what appears to be midnight blue. Missing a leather strap buckle and has wear on edges, but full grain leather feels so good.

Joseph Daniel leather briefcase. Not sure if it's top grain, correct grain, or full grain. It's seen better days, but with a little TLC, it should be good to go.

Luciano Carreli Navy Jacket
Motto on buttons (hard to see): Honi soit qui mal y pense (motto of the Order of the Garter), meaning "evil to him who evil thinks".

Last edited:

kravman2011

Reaction score
You might be right with a lot of this, but it sure would be nice to be able to post some finds without being hounded by a bunch of guys with 5 posts who want every measurement on a Brioni shirt, even though they are only willing to pay $15.

At least with a thread with invited members you know its all good guys who aren't trying to get a steal off you.
What about those of us who lurk just to check out the amazing finds, and do not hound, e-mail, PM anyone? I come here every day just to see what people find. I do not ask where anyone finds there stuff, nor would I. I also do not begrudge anyone selling,or trying to sell their items at what they think is a fair price, nor do I condemn anyone for trying to get a deal. Everyone knows what the approximate prices paid for the items are, so it is up to the buyer and seller to come up with a price that each can live with. Just my .02...

ahk11

Reaction score
Quote:
+1 to this. I never post on this thread because I never find anything really worth posting. I've also never pm'ed anyone asking if something is available. I know my place as a lurker. I've read the whole thread, and followed along for quite a while, still enjoying it between the arguments and petty BS. I really hope folks don't quit posting here for the sake of those of us who aren't as fortunate in the thrift game.

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to this. I never post on this thread because I never find anything really worth posting. I've also never pm'ed anyone asking if something is available. I know my place as a lurker. I've read the whole thread, and followed along for quite a while, still enjoying it between the arguments and petty BS. I really hope folks don't quit posting here for the sake of those of us who aren't as fortunate in the thrift game.

I don't think anyone will really stop posting here, but the exodus has definitely begun.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
T&A twins

I think Alden but still not sure. Now defunct Barrie used to use British makers, too.

Sorry for crappy photos. Everything available.

Nothing about them looks like Aldens. Nice looking shoes though. The script on the "Genuine Shell Cordovan" looks similar to what Hanover stamped on their soles.

It is the same script as Hanover, but it would have been much farther back and stamped longways on the sole, rather than across. I have seen some others with the same scripting, struggling to recall who though.

I have handled quite a bit Hanovers. These are not. There is still possibility of Church's since Barrie used them, they are marked custom grade, and quality is similar. However the script is like Alden's and it has four more nails than Church's.

I wasn't very clear on that. My main point is they aren't Aldens. The thing on the Hanover script was an afterthought. Fact is they look. Nothing like Hanovers either. They're still nice looking shoes.

This isn't a thrift brag, but I thought this was interesting due to our conversation a few weeks ago.

NEW Hanover Men's Tassel Moccasin SHELL CORDOVAN Loafers ...
$(KGrHqJ,!lwF!emOQJBEBQKwL1gkHw~~60_57.JPG

I never knew Hanover had some shoes made by Barrie Ltd. Learn something new everyday.

Still doesn't mean the original shoes in question were Hanover.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt this forum will continue - new people will get involved and it will take on some new characteristics.
Thinning the herd usually makes a population stronger.

I don't think anyone will really stop posting here, but the exodus has definitely begun.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Gray Pin Stripe Suit 36R 30/31
$T2eC16FHJGQE9noMZKvyBQK,R-trNg~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16NHJHoE9n3Kd2drBQK,SE,Cr!~~60_57.JPG

Brooks Bros Cotton Summer Sport Coat 48R
$(KGrHqN,!k0E+1li8MSQBQK,yJjOVQ~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16N,!)sE9swmYlSbBQK,yRdopQ~~60_57.JPG

Brooks Brothers Madras Summer Sport Coat, 44R has some unfortunate shoulder fading.
$T2eC16N,!)UE9s3wBeInBQK,64Qw5w~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16ZHJHIE9nyseyWBBQK,6-2U5!~~60_57.JPG

Patagonia Folding Jacket 44L - pouch was nowhere to be found.
$(KGrHqR,!jYE+pswuPpDBQKbM1JIq!~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqV,!p8F!,WgryoUBQKbNlJCJw~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16F,!ysE9sy0gCd(BQKbNsimCw~~60_57.JPG

Big and Tall - Hickey Freeman Loro Piana Suit Navy Pinstripe 50XL 42/32
$T2eC16VHJIYE9qUcNkr0BQKv-J22Qg~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16RHJIQE9qUHsjkIBQKv-PN8b!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16RHJGwE9n)yTT7sBQKv+C7cFw~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16VHJF0E9nmFRoweBQKv+K,0cw~~60_57.JPG

goneAWOL

Reaction score
What about those of us who lurk just to check out the amazing finds, and do not hound, e-mail, PM anyone? I come here every day just to see what people find. I do not ask where anyone finds there stuff, nor would I. I also do not begrudge anyone selling,or trying to sell their items at what they think is a fair price, nor do I condemn anyone for trying to get a deal. Everyone knows what the approximate prices paid for the items are, so it is up to the buyer and seller to come up with a price that each can live with. Just my .02...

I hear you, since I lurked for a long time before posting. But the fact is, I stopped posting a majority of my finds a long time ago. It gets to be pretty time consuming, and even stressful, when you receive an influx of pm's every time you post your best finds. I've had people send a string of pm's requesting measurements and pictures, then just stop responding all together when they decide they aren't interested. Most of those people only have a few posts, but I try to be nice and respond to pm's anyways. In a nutshell, it has become difficult to post here just to brag.

Nevertheless, as others have said, people will likely continue posting here including myself.

Alfred001

Reaction score

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
I hear you, since I lurked for a long time before posting. But the fact is, I stopped posting a majority of my finds a long time ago. It gets to be pretty time consuming, and even stressful, when you receive an influx of pm's every time you post your best finds. I've had people send a string of pm's requesting measurements and pictures, then just stop responding all together when they decide they aren't interested. Most of those people only have a few posts, but I try to be nice and respond to pm's anyways. In a nutshell, it has become difficult to post here just to brag.

Nevertheless, as others have said, people will likely continue posting here including myself.

^^^ I pretty much post here (whenever I can) just to brag. I still try to make offers to or accept offers from as well as trade with forum members that I recognize from their thread posts,. I usually refer other members that don't recognize to my eBay listings or Etsy shop and let them make up their minds there. No fuss, no muss, no stress.
smile.gif

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ I pretty much post here (whenever I can) just to brag. I still try to make offers to or accept offers from as well as trade with forum members that I recognize from their thread posts,. I usually refer other members that don't recognize to my eBay listings or Etsy shop and let them make up their minds there. No fuss, no muss, no stress.
smile.gif
+1

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 I only thrift for myself, so the Alden and AE tassled loafers and the the odd sport coat isnt worth posting, but I've read every single post in this thread and get inspired by the hauls the big guns display here. I'm sorry to hear that those guys get hounded with PMs and even more sorry (but this time for myself) that they have found a new private forum for their bragging. I've learnt so much from so many of the regular posters.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 I only thrift for myself, so the Alden and AE tassled loafers and the the odd sport coat isnt worth posting, but I've read every single post in this thread and get inspired by the hauls the big guns display here. I'm sorry to hear that those guys get hounded with PMs and even more sorry (but this time for myself) that they have found a new private forum for their bragging. I've learnt so much from so many of the regular posters.

Are you serious!!!??? That's like over 45,000 posts!!!
wow.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads