1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

[​IMG]

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Quick scan of today's finds (sick as a dog and need to get to bed before midnight tonight) says we found the year end/holiday fantasticness.

Here's my contribution. (Yes, my pics suck. Too bad.)

You: GMMcL - Why are you wasting our time? Your finds have sucked lately?
    Me: I know. I know. Been busy. And in a dry spell. But...
    You: But nothing! Our time is precious! Dispense with the banter! Show the goods!

[​IMG]

You: But WTF is that? Those are just some jackets! We can't even see the labels!
    Me: Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw them on the rack. So I turned the labels and saw....

[​IMG]

You: C'mon, dude. Not effing cool. That's just the same crappy stuff we all see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Yes, the right one is a corduroy suit. With real MOP buttons on the trou. And the right one is full canvas -- or at least feels like it. Real horn buttons on both. Built like tanks. Recent-ish. Fit me a-like a glove. (Dude's waist was smaller. Must not have realized the joys of craft beer. No matter; I have a tailor). May make the lighter cord available, though it does have some spots that will need some aggressive treatment.

But she didn't end there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Seems to be dated 1951. Sick, sick, sick. No modern use, but still freaking cool. A few mending spots on the lining, but externally seems fine. Working button cuffs and handwork everywhere. Estimate it at a 40R with some wider shoulders

And finally: I think I recall that these are decent boots? Not a d*ck question; really asking the camping/outdoor/SWD guys. Their construction suggested they're good, as did the "Made in Italy" (not pictured)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Extremely gentle use, if any. 10D, but fit me perfectly. Available
    EDIT: Then again, maaaybe not. http://www.ebay.com/csc/Mens-Shoes-...Complete=1&_nkw=vasque&_pgn=10&_skc=450&rt=nc

I also found a nice vintage polka dot tie in my college colors (blue and gold, Go Bears!). And yes, Spoo, I will be wearing that.

Oh, and also: I bought 2 pr Pantharellas at a TJX while I was on my business trip. Charcoal knee length. Turn out to be much too long -- like a 12-13. Will proxy. PM to the left.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. tben

tben Senior member

^^ I am not spoo, but that Versace is real.

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Yeah, it's a bit of a drive, but since I work from home a nice cruise every so often won't rack up too many miles on the car. Though I have found some surprising things at TJX in far-flung places like Cartersville...i.e: I picked up a $755 (yes, seven hundred and fifty-five dollar) Marc Jacobs shirt, new with tags made in Italy, from TJX, for $50. On the other hand, I have it on eBay with opening bid of $90 and absolutely no one is interested in it. Figures...

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Mother of God! You have enough time to watch third tier sitcoms often enough that you can recognize an actress from a one inch square avatar thumbnail?

[​IMG]

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

[​IMG]

That is nasty. So, so cool.

7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. Beck

Beck Senior member

Found alot today, this was in the case for $14.99
    good i found one after my saab went to sh*t yesterday :)
    [​IMG]

9. TheNeedMachine

Because it's a fricking hassle, no guarantees the scuffs / spots will come out, and there's way more out there than all of us combined could ever want to kop and it's easier to just pass it up. I've crossed that rainbow bridge - no longer get label drunk, can separate the wheat from the chaff, and know something better will come down the pike that doesn't need a $25+ leather cleaning. Well, that's my philosophy; unless it's something really special, leave it behind if it needs attention more than a pressing or a lint roller.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow. Absolutely killing it!! :slayer::slayer: Oh, and GMMcL : Those Vasque boots are where it's at! Congrats!
    :uhoh:

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Yes, but...Barbour. JACKET!

12. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

ATLnoob: Surely those three extra Barbours were more worthwhile pickups than three cotton PRL jackets though, right? When it comes to Barbour jackets, if there are "way more out there than all of us combined could ever want to kop" then brb booking a flight to Atlanta.

GMMcL: :slayer:

13. TheNeedMachine

Nah they were the quilted (Liddesdale / Berrington), not waxed jackets or anything...with missing quilt threads, soiling, excessive wear. I grabbed the only waxed Barbour they had, which has pretty minor wear and OK by most folks. The other 2 I grabbed were the best of the quilted. I'm getting all sorts of grief over leaving the Barbours and Paul Stuarts - here and in PM's - sheesh! I won't mention the Burberry made in Italy stuff...you wouldn't have liked them anyway.

14. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Been a slow week...
    Top to bottom: PRL by Corneliani black crushed velvet 32x30, Linen PRL trousers 33x30, Orvis wool and cuffed trousers 40x33ish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Are the Holland and Sherry ones worth picking up? It's thick silk... and is this Balenciaga real?
    [​IMG]

Vintage BR safari jacket
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Corduroy cuffs
    [​IMG]

half lined Oxxford and BB made in Italy, thinking of keeping the Oxxford if I can clean it.
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone help me see when this was made?
    [​IMG]

Other than the arms hows the fit? are the pockets too low, make it look dated?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. TheNeedMachine

I meant that in general, not specifically in re: Barbour jackets. But there really is, at least this time of year it seems...

16. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

17. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

I hope you like your oxxfords solid navy, your v cleats shell, and your tweed jackets RRL... (BRB popping a bottle of trappist ale and taking pics)

1 person likes this.
  18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:lurk: :bounce2:
    Wow! Nice finds. I'm especially jealous of that Oxxford.Besides the sleeves (as you stated), it looks to fit well. The shorter length makes it look a bit more modern and casual. Pockets look right. That jacket is actually pretty recent.

1 person likes this.
  19. TheNeedMachine

Working in market research / behavior analysis / bunko sciences, I get stuff forwarded to me all the time, most of which I do not read...but this one was interesting and relevant here (from Dec 2012):
    http://www.neurosciencemarketing.com/blog/articles/brands-count-seen-or-unseen.htm
    ...the talking point being: a recent study showed that people wearing apparel with visible premium branding were viewed more positively and actually treated differently in person.
    You can read about the experiments and results in the article (it's short - about 1 page in the real world), if that sort of thing grabs you.

20. grendel

grendel Senior member

Barbour jackets are something special. They can always be sent to Barbour to be repaired and unless completely destroyed they will have value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.