• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably follow.

Some men just want to watch the world burn, bro.

Fine by me. I skip the rest and start on the other side, different rack, different section, whatever. It's all for the taking, first-come, new stuff all day every day. Times like that I check sections I usually skip - vinyl rekkids, housewares, electronics, rugs. Has paid off a few times, but usually not.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, I've been meaning to.ask for awhile, and the discussion of looking in carts reminded me , has anyone actually had anyone take something from their.cart? I am paranoid about this...

If I ever find anything crazy (Isaia, Brioni, recent Oxxford suits or jackets, etc), I'll usually make my rounds as quick as possible and wait for the line at the checkout to die down so I can roll up and check out as quick as possible. Run out to the car and lock the stuff in the trunk, then return to the store and continue to putter on through everything else without worry.

Postman brought boxes from Mainy and Nataku today... thanks fellas!

Enjoy! :)

You're exactly the guy I love ******* with by pushing the cart aside and starting literally a few shirts in front of you working the same direction you're going.  I'm entirely serious about this.

I do this all the time. Usually get a huff and puff as I move on.

I too am paranoid about reaching hands. Here's an idea. I usually put the good stuff on the bottom of the cart and dump crap on top of it. Before check out, I'll dump all the crap out, discreetly, don't wanna piss off too many workers. Try that!

+1. This works well.

,i have actually karate kicked a few carts out of an aisle when people like you do it.  

I've sent one lady's cart sailing half way across the store once because she tried to use it to block me from checking out the other half of the "New Arrivals" rack and hit my ankle in the process. She hasn't messed with me since.

They always take the hangers. And they attempt to rip off my buttons in the process of reclaiming their precious hangers :brick:

Years ago I used to watch in horror as they ripped open my shirts to get the hangers off. Ever since, I always take the hangers off before checking out. It makes it much easier for them as well and they appreciate the gesture.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the flippers want to buy every valuable thing and wring the profits out of it. They don't wear their purchases and generously trade with friends like us; they buy to resell. Period.

I'm 75% flipper, 25% keeper, and if I make a few bucks off a flip, I'm happy. One of my first posts related that I started doing this to supplement my income after we all took a pay cut at my company and unpaid furloughs were imposed to the tune of 2 to 4 unpaid days off per month. Ended up being more than a 20% pay cut. Has gotten better but not back to 100%. I gotta make up that "lifestyle" money somehow (mortgage, utilities, food and other luxuries) - I didn't recently divorce Tom Cruise, after all.

That said, I do get a rush when I find something great to flip, and I do get the same rush when I find something I'm keeping for myself. I also like rolling the dice and picking up 2 or 3 unknowns on speculation, and looking them up when I get home to see if I found something, or nothing. More often than not, it's nothing. I notice that I'm keeping more and flipping less, however - I used to be 95% / 5%. The disease is invading...

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Years ago I used to watch in horror as they ripped open my shirts to get the hangers off. Ever since, I always take the hangers off before checking out. It makes it much easier for them as well and they appreciate the gesture.

I generally try to remember to, but not always. I really hate when they slide my ties all over the dirty counter or decide that ties go into the bag before shoes!!!

frenchytoo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
hey Listen,in todays economy do what you gotta do to survive,im not gonna hold it against you.
I'm 75% flipper, 25% keeper, and if I make a few bucks off a flip, I'm happy. One of my first posts related that I started doing this to supplement my income after we all took a pay cut at my company and unpaid furloughs were imposed to the tune of 2 to 4 unpaid days off per month. Ended up being more than a 20% pay cut. Has gotten better but not back to 100%. I gotta make up that "lifestyle" money somehow (mortgage, utilities, food and other luxuries) - I didn't recently divorce Tom Cruise, after all.

That said, I do get a rush when I find something great to flip, and I do get the same rush when I find something I'm keeping for myself. I also like rolling the dice and picking up 2 or 3 unknowns on speculation, and looking them up when I get home to see if I found something, or nothing. More often than not, it's nothing. I notice that I'm keeping more and flipping less, however - I used to be 95% / 5%. The disease is invading...

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really want the hangers?
confused.gif

Only once, when the sport coat was Canali and the hangar was too...and they wouldn't let me have it. This was at an indie thrift shop in town - I've never been to a thrift that allows you keep the hangars but I should have offered them a buck or two for the thing.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean yeah...if you're talking the branded wooden suit hangers (J. Press, BB, Samuelsohn, Zegna, etc.), or even the nice unbranded ones. I actually only ask on rare occasion (when I know that they give them away anyhow...I'm always short on suit/jacket hangers), and always offer to buy them first...but I've had them offered to me very frequently and I never turn them down when that happens.

Target had their big box of 24 wood suit hangars on sale yesterday at 6 bucks for the box. I bought 2 boxes - 48 new wood suit hangars for $12 could not be beat around these parts.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually no,you own the spot immediately in front of you and thats it...but i digress.
how about the douche that decides to take off whatever jacket he is wearing ,put it on the suits rack and try on jackets right in the aisle.and when you try to move their stuff they ask you why you are touching their ****.
i have actually picked up peoples stuff and flung it across to the next side/aisle with them looking in disbelief.once in awhile someones says something and i tell them the ******* changeroom is over there!!!!!!!!!

Hah! I saw a dude take off his shirt - not wearing an undershirt mind you so he was bare-chested - and try on multiple shirts right in the aisle. I was flabbergasted. He was nonplussed - it was what he did.

frenchytoo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
let me guess...Asian?
actually no,edit,asian dude would have a wifebeater on what was i thinking
Hah! I saw a dude take off his shirt - not wearing an undershirt mind you so he was bare-chested - and try on multiple shirts right in the aisle. I was flabbergasted. He was nonplussed - it was what he did.

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stole these items out of some guys cart today. Nothing crazy like the 500+ posts I just read with the millions of dollars worth of clothing finds. But, nevertheless, some pretty nice staples for someone who is not me since they are available.

3X Hickey Freeman Suits 44L 35"W 30.5"I 1.5"cuffs

More deets and photos...
Crazy pic stitching, double pleats, cuffed pants

Hackett of London- Size Large

And I picked these up for a song...Not from a thrift-store though...

All available except for the Jack Purcell's..I also left about 25 BNWT T&A ties that were all priced at around $30 a piece for anyone that cares.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
let me guess...Asian?

No, but "ethnic" yes. In my line of work, because we are sensitive to such things, the term is African-American.

This particular guy left an authentic G. Versace behind - first I have ever seen in a GW. Sheer black fabric covered in black velvet pouf-balls or something. The sheer part was riddled with fabric pulls and I debated with it for a good half hour - it told me to buy it and list it on eBay as "good for wearing over a black shirt, or if you're already more or less black in skin color" but even at $5 I put it back. There's good passes and bad passes and I have no idea on that one...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This particular guy left an authentic G. Versace behind - first I have ever seen in a GW.  Sheer black fabric covered in black velvet pouf-balls or something.  The sheer part was riddled with fabric pulls and I debated with it for a good half hour - it told me to buy it and list it on eBay as "good for wearing over a black shirt, or if you're already more or less black in skin color" but even at $5 I put it back.  There's good passes and bad passes and I have no idea on that one...

You know what Im going to say, right?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stole these items out of some guys cart today. Nothing crazy like the 500+ posts I just read with the millions of dollars worth of clothing finds. But, nevertheless, some pretty nice staples for someone who is not me since they are available.

3X Hickey Freeman Suits 44L 35"W 30.5"I 1.5"cuffs

More deets and photos...
Crazy pic stitching, double pleats, cuffed pants

Hackett of London- Size Large

And I picked these up for a song...Not from a thrift-store though...

All available except for the Jack Purcell's..I also left about 25 BNWT T&A ties that were all priced at around $30 a piece for anyone that cares.

Nice haul!! Those HF are VERY recent (I think I saw an 07 date)? WHY CAN'T THE NAVY BE MY SIZE?!?!?!
ffffuuuu.gif

DeadBoy

Reaction score
thats exactly why i dont shove them,i karate kick the **** out of that cart so it goes flying.

I don't use a cart but I am tempted to start doing so now.

Also, I don't drive a jag, but generally have kind of a pissed off expression when pounding the racks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads