The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I'd probably follow.

Some men just want to watch the world burn, bro.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

If I ever find anything crazy (Isaia, Brioni, recent Oxxford suits or jackets, etc), I'll usually make my rounds as quick as possible and wait for the line at the checkout to die down so I can roll up and check out as quick as possible. Run out to the car and lock the stuff in the trunk, then return to the store and continue to putter on through everything else without worry.

Enjoy! :)

I do this all the time. Usually get a huff and puff as I move on.

+1. This works well.

I've sent one lady's cart sailing half way across the store once because she tried to use it to block me from checking out the other half of the "New Arrivals" rack and hit my ankle in the process. She hasn't messed with me since.

Years ago I used to watch in horror as they ripped open my shirts to get the hangers off. Ever since, I always take the hangers off before checking out. It makes it much easier for them as well and they appreciate the gesture.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I'm 75% flipper, 25% keeper, and if I make a few bucks off a flip, I'm happy. One of my first posts related that I started doing this to supplement my income after we all took a pay cut at my company and unpaid furloughs were imposed to the tune of 2 to 4 unpaid days off per month. Ended up being more than a 20% pay cut. Has gotten better but not back to 100%. I gotta make up that "lifestyle" money somehow (mortgage, utilities, food and other luxuries) - I didn't recently divorce Tom Cruise, after all.

That said, I do get a rush when I find something great to flip, and I do get the same rush when I find something I'm keeping for myself. I also like rolling the dice and picking up 2 or 3 unknowns on speculation, and looking them up when I get home to see if I found something, or nothing. More often than not, it's nothing. I notice that I'm keeping more and flipping less, however - I used to be 95% / 5%. The disease is invading...

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I generally try to remember to, but not always. I really hate when they slide my ties all over the dirty counter or decide that ties go into the bag before shoes!!!

5. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

hey Listen,in todays economy do what you gotta do to survive,im not gonna hold it against you.

6. TheNeedMachine

Only once, when the sport coat was Canali and the hangar was too...and they wouldn't let me have it. This was at an indie thrift shop in town - I've never been to a thrift that allows you keep the hangars but I should have offered them a buck or two for the thing.

7. TheNeedMachine

Target had their big box of 24 wood suit hangars on sale yesterday at 6 bucks for the box. I bought 2 boxes - 48 new wood suit hangars for $12 could not be beat around these parts.

8. TheNeedMachine

Hah! I saw a dude take off his shirt - not wearing an undershirt mind you so he was bare-chested - and try on multiple shirts right in the aisle. I was flabbergasted. He was nonplussed - it was what he did.

9. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

HAHA. This was my exact thought.

I'm precisely the type of dude that rummages through your parked carts while you are in the ladies rooms swapping in a new maxi pad.

10. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

let me guess...Asian?
    actually no,edit,asian dude would have a wifebeater on what was i thinking

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

11. tben

tben Senior member

I stole these items out of some guys cart today. Nothing crazy like the 500+ posts I just read with the millions of dollars worth of clothing finds. But, nevertheless, some pretty nice staples for someone who is not me since they are available.

3X Hickey Freeman Suits 44L 35"W 30.5"I 1.5"cuffs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More deets and photos...
    Crazy pic stitching, double pleats, cuffed pants
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hackett of London- Size Large
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I picked these up for a song...Not from a thrift-store though...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All available except for the Jack Purcell's..I also left about 25 BNWT T&A ties that were all priced at around $30 a piece for anyone that cares.

12. TheNeedMachine

No, but "ethnic" yes. In my line of work, because we are sensitive to such things, the term is African-American.

This particular guy left an authentic G. Versace behind - first I have ever seen in a GW. Sheer black fabric covered in black velvet pouf-balls or something. The sheer part was riddled with fabric pulls and I debated with it for a good half hour - it told me to buy it and list it on eBay as "good for wearing over a black shirt, or if you're already more or less black in skin color" but even at $5 I put it back. There's good passes and bad passes and I have no idea on that one...

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You know what Im going to say, right?

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nice haul!! Those HF are VERY recent (I think I saw an 07 date)? WHY CAN'T THE NAVY BE MY SIZE?!?!?! [​IMG]

15. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

I don't use a cart but I am tempted to start doing so now.

Also, I don't drive a jag, but generally have kind of a pissed off expression when pounding the racks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.