1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. half lunatic

half lunatic Member

Hey guys this is my first post here after lurking for a couple weeks so go easy on me. Just thought I'd share some of my recent finds to get some feedback from you guys. I work in a professional business atmosphere and want to dress nice but not break the bank doing so. Here's what I've found so far. I'm open to trade or sell the ties and the last pair of shoes posted, the rest I'm keeping for personal use.

Dacks brown leather shoes:

[​IMG]
    Dack's black leather cap toe shoes:
    [​IMG]

BB "346" tie

[​IMG][​IMG]

Polo RL Tie:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Vintage?? Gianni Versace Tie. Worth keeping? Is this thing worth anything or should I avoid it in the future?
    [​IMG]

E Zegna shirt: (I love the MOP buttons)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Etro dress pants:
    [​IMG]

This was an interesting find, does anyone have any information on the brand? Worth keeping? The leather is extremely soft and I can post better pictures if it helps.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. eazye

eazye Senior member

^^^^^^ I'd say that's a damn fine start!

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

agreed. I like those Etro trousers. I'm not too hip on the Polo and Versace ties but it's a good haul regardless.

4. Left Hand

Left Hand Senior member

This is kind of the opposite of the threads title but still slightly amusing:
    I looked up Goodwill on google and came up with a location not too far from my house. I woke up early today and drove about 20min to get there to find out it's a Goodwill office. :facepalm:

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

I did this too when I first started.

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Right back at ya dude. And to too many other dudes on here to name over the past week. Y'all know who you are, and you're awesome.

On two separate notes:
    1. Is shell a miracle material? Dude, all you need is to brush it with horsehair and every imperfection magically fades away.
    2. On the hunt for a 42R tux, preferably peak lapel dual vent. For a close friend. Will X post into trade thread.

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I forgot to ask about this yesterday. I took some pictures of it because it looked a bit complicated, which is my main criteria for thinking it might be something. It is a National Panasonic SG-2080L. Anyway, it's €50, so what do you electronic guys think? It was in really nice condition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. yossi

yossi Well-Known Member

Anybody mind if I noob it up? I've always been an occasional thrifter but moved to LA not long ago, started reading this thread a few weeks ago, and have been inspired to go out the last few weeks whenever I can squeeze it in. I've learned a ton from you all - I hope I have, anyway. Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with some of what I've picked up.

Keeping: Shirts from Polo Ralph Lauren in a nice flannel, Lorenzini, Borrelli

[​IMG]

My favorite thing I've ever thrifted, maybe favorite thing I've ever bought. Swaine Adeney Brigg hacking jacket. (I think it's a hacking jacket, don't beat up the noob if I'm wrong.) Not available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My second-favorite pickup: Isaia cotton sportcoat. Probably the ideal LA SC. So very not available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also some no-name but nice-feeling made-in-Italy ties that fill holes in my closet:
    [​IMG]

And then a bunch of stuff I wish I could keep but that just doesn't fit right. All available:

This would be my favorite thing ever if it wasn't a little big in the shoulders (I'm a 42 R/L): Cantarelli windowpane SC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some shirts: J Press, Oriali, Lorenzini
    [​IMG]
    Tom James
    [​IMG]

I also picked up a couple of real headscratchers. They seemed like good ideas at the time. (These are available, to say the least.)

Beat-up blue oxford by Lisa Tailor.
    [​IMG]

Blue patch-pocket Levi's wool blazer.
    [​IMG]

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^ Wow! That thing is killer! If it works, it's definitely worth the price. That thing retailed for an arm and a leg back in the late 70's. How do I know? My grandparents own a National-Panasonic store in Tokyo which is now run by my uncles as my grandfather has long since retired. I recall him having a very similar model years ago set up in the store as a display and I wanted the thing so bad. He told me how much it cost and that I'd have to save up for it. I still remember to this day it was roughly $500-$600 USD back then. The stuff is very well made.

:wow:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Nat, you know your stuff! It even came with some (unknown to me) speakers. If it was pricey back in the '70s, possibly the speakers were also of some quality. However, the tag said that the belt makes noise but that the system works. I know nothing of repairs for these types of things, so I'm not sure whether I should get myself involved.

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Mofos from Chi-town never smiles, don't you know!!

Sounds like he needs a kick in the ass. WTF, man! [​IMG]

I hate you, Matt! [​IMG]

Hahahahahaha, I did the exact same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. barrelntrigger

Stuff I got for myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bally tie...WTF?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manhanttan...WTF? Hanky for my nosey.

The rest is going on Ebay unless you want to pay Ebay prices [​IMG]
    The wifey and I are going on vacation in a few. We need to come up at least $2,500...Ebay, here I come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

That's an interesting PINK label.

14. barrelntrigger

I know! First time seeing it.

Oh, the Pink and the Levi's selvedge are for trade.

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

If you come across this setup, get at me and I'll trade you my Lorenzini linen shirt, straight up. I know the trade would be uneven but I'll take the hit. Maybe you could throw in a Hermes tie or sommat. :lol:

[VIDEO]![/VIDEO]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  16. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

Fishy is going thrifting... for a different kind of quarry!

So after two trips across the country, the rolling duffel used as a carry on bag has failed spectacularly. Last time I buy cheap luggage. I am flying back home on the 12th and absolutely need a bag for carry-on. I figure the most economical option is to thrift it.

Goodwill and salvation army typically have luggage of some kind. What brands should I look for?

Also: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] to you sir!

17. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Wow, totally forgot about Krell. My buddy's father was a lawyer and got paid with something like $18k in Krell gear for a case he worked. When the parents weren't home, we'd crank the shit out of it. Still wonder what happened to that set up when he went to prison...

18. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

Got these from a girlfriend in the nineties, hope to one day get invited to a hippie-theme costume party or something so I get to wear them one time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Senior member

[​IMG]

is this a good "colaboration"?

1 person likes this.
  20. half lunatic

half lunatic Member

Thanks eazye! Love the thrift fit posts btw.

Thanks! Those two ties were my noob mistakes. I havn't worn the trousers yet but they feel amazing, big change from wearing polyester mix clothing lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.