1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Elusive

Mr_Elusive Well-Known Member

Looking for some good condition dress shoes in 9.5, welted, cognac or walnut coloured with broguing. Like an AE Strand. Whatchu got? Get at me!

hollaatchaboy.jpg

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Whoa
    Only if you wear it with the pants above....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Been searching for this jacket for at least 2 years. Unfortunately, although it is sized 44, it does not fit me. I did get it zipped, but trust me it was all wrong, LOL. There will be no fit pics of that disaster, you would all have to pluck out your eyes and burn your monitors.

1970's Schott Perfecto 613
    [​IMG]

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Not so fast, haters...

I came across a top coat awhile back that was a CD-HSM collaboration and it flipped easily--in fact. enough interest that I could have squeezed another $20 or so out of it. It was claimed within a few hours on AAAC. There was no fabric content indicated, but I'm pretty darn sure it was cashmere, and the buyer was happy. Another member here kindly found a newspaper article on the CD-HSM collaboration, which started in 1973. Not sure how long it lasted, but the suits described in the story cost between $875 and $1,200 in today's dollars, which suggests a certain level of quality.

5. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I think those run small in general. There's a non-Schott version of the same jacket in a vintage store near me. It's either a 44 or 46, but fits me (40-41R) pretty well. I have a Harley and have been drooling over the jacket for a while, but they want about $120 for it and that's more than I want to spend.

6. catside

catside Senior member

Ocooney (what a dude!) sent me motoracer which fits great and it is a 48. You have to go 2-3 sizes up with Schott.
    I also found a very interesting brown distressed leather car coat made by Comet ( I think they now make racing leathers) for a NYC shop. It has similar closure like yours, zipper sleeves. Two zippers in the back opens and lets you ride.
    It is a size Medium, but very small except the shoulders. I even wondered of it is a women's but shoulders and zipper location is men's. I will post pics.

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

Nice, I just sold the one i found for big $$$$$, hard to let go, but not quite what I was looking for. It was a 38 and fit like a 38 though.

8. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Thought I found some AE Leeds shell Cordovan, model number matched the shell sheet, but there was micro creasing. For $8 picked up anyway, can always return. Further review leads me to believe these Leeds are not shell. The on line Issuu catalogs from 1985 showed a 9548 in polished burgundy, couldn't remember what year the changed the inside orientation of the logo (Wes?).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Same GW, picked up four BB makers, Italian fabric ties, like new, 4" x 58", one had a different BB tag:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

An interesting Zegna, the character looks like a ghost:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Square end knit that has the maker tag removed:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And a VINTAGE 5" Turnbull & Asser:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

The Leeds are not shell.

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Definitely not shell.

12. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Last picks from same GW:

Trafalgar, surcingle belt, 36", PURPLE, (available)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

A like new (was laundered but still has that "crisp" feel) BB red button down pinstripe original polo trad fit, 17-36 (available):

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My first Holland & Sherry fabric SC, Filo A Mano hand tailored by Tom James, full canvassed SC, super soft, no content or size tag, but was custom. Fits a slim 42, only 29" length but 25" sleeves, 18" shoulders, (might keep)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Found the PERFECT PRL coat I have been looking for at Marshall's but its a medium not a large!! Damn my luck

Hit me up if you want it for 199

[​IMG]

14. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

I was eyeing that one last week. You at Har Mar?

15. catside

catside Senior member

It's not. It may be that at one point AE used same number in different years for shell and non-shell . I recall this was the case for two different models, can't find the post.

16. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Well, I guess their not shell......I figured the leather didn't look right for shell but because of the style number, took a chance. Can return for store credit to any GW, maybe find another Holland & Sherry SC for $9.99.

17. eazye

eazye Senior member

I just picked up a BR Heritage DB with the ticket pocket, double vented and with surgeon cuffs in a nice mid gray/blue nail head weave. Italian fabric but made in China. It even seems to be partially canvassed. Not my size otherwise I'd probably keep it for myself. This is the first time I've seen the "heritage line" at a thrift and it was super cheap so I thought I'd give it a shot. I know there was some discussion about people selling their BR stuff easier than Oxxford, so we'll see how this goes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also wanted to give a huge shout out to Cotton Dockers, he must really be feeling the Christmas spirit this year. We were working out a trade this summer for some baller John Varvatos Italian made linen trousers that fizzled out for whatever reason. Well, I get home from work yesterday to find a package I wasn't expecting. I open it up, and inside is a letter form Mr. Dockers saying that he's not my secret Santa but that the trousers were just sitting around his house and he thought he would just send them my way so someone could get some use out of them.
    Blew my mind! Your sir are a gentleman and a scholar! Things like this really give me faith in the human race and confirms my suspicions that there are still some really, really good people out there. And furthermore, there seems to be an inordinate amount populating this thread. You guys are awesome!!!!! Happy holidays!!!! :cheers: And one more shout out to Wes for another solid trade. My wife has taken to calling you my "tweed guy". Like, you need some tweed? Yea, I gotta guy. :D

18. eazye

eazye Senior member

Getting my Nucky on........
    [​IMG]

19. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Good juju! [​IMG]

20. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Probably BB. Their retail stores often cut the tags out of unsellable (damaged, worn, returned) items and donate them to local thrifts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.