1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Agree. I've read the whole series and I sort of lost interest in the TV series. IMO the comics are better and way more nuanced.

I love comics. I read a couple series but am more into graphic novels. Check out the Richard Stark Parker series by Darwyn Cooke. I also really liked a series from Europe called Largo Winch - kind of like Tintin for grown ups (not that Tintin isn't for grown ups). ; )

2. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

Its funny I started out watching the show and when I caught up I started reading the comics. Now that I am past the storyline of the show I find it really boring in comparison. The comics dont suffer from bad acting or low budget special effects. I also find it kinda takes me out of the story when not a single person can say Fuck in the show. If this was a real world situation everyone would be swearing like sailors. Im not sure what it is about cussing but it seems to make things more realistic for me.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Today's haul:

Recent Eddie Bauer brown leather bomber with sheepskin collar. Size M but fits. Mint. No wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like a regular belt, right? Nope. Knew it was something right when I picked it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ties

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baller black t-shirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RLPL linen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Willis & Geiger wool shirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I've been after a pair like this for a long time. Paid up quite a bit but they were NIB and my size. Now to do some serious breaking in.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

The two novels take steps toward humanizing him by explaining his back story and how he becomes The Governor.

5. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Walking Dead related: I gotta put a plug in for Andrew Lincoln in Love Actually. It's a favourite Christmas movie in our house.

6. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Damn nataku that is quite the haul

7. catside

catside Senior member

8. DanM

DanM Senior member

Used to read a ton of good old fashioned american ones, but I've whittled it down to anything Green Lantern related, Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel cosmic stuff, Invincible, Fables, and I guess I haven't really whittled it down that much. [​IMG]

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

:wow::drool::inlove: those redwings! (my size too!) that blue RLPL!

10. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I dont think he needed to be humanized. I loved how he was such a monster and his reign of terror lasted for however long it lasted and the story moves forward. I didnt consider him an essential part of the overall story and once his chapter was closed I moved on. I think the only reason people are dwelling on him is because he is now part of the show.

As a side note, casting Chad Coleman as Tyreese is an amazing choice. I loved him on The Wire and Im very excited to see what they do with him in the show. Its hard to not drop potential spoilers from the comic so I will end this right now.

Back to thrifting. Why the fuck are we talking about Walking Dead in the thrifting thread?

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

We call the dealership the stealership. Mark ups are insane. Labor rates are through the roof. Never ever took a car there unless it was under warranty. Just for shits and giggles, we went to the Infiniti dealership to see what a transmission fluid drain and fill would run for the wife's FX. They wanted $600, labor included. Did it myself. Took just under 2 hrs and $80 in fluid. This made me come to the realization that they were charging roughly $260-ish per hour for labor. Theives, I tell ya.
    :bounce2: :slayer:
    Awesome haul!! Love the checkered J. Press SC. Also, I passed on about 6 of these recent, spread collar Allen Edmonds shirts today. Didn't even know they made clothing. All XL. Pretty decent too. Had side gussets and pearlized buttons. Also tons of recent BB shirts from the same guy, but nothing crazy (slim fit purple label, BBGF, etc). [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

This evening on the way home stopped by a local discount store, and they had 10 or so brown Wolverine belts, very nice leather, but large sizes: 50 and 52. If anybody wants one, let me know and I'll proxy. Price was about $10, I think.

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Current label. Country Club is equivalent to the 1818 line but more "sporty". Take that out into the sunlight and see if it isn't navy. BB's navy is hard to distinguish from black unless you are in good light. Also, if the lining is dark blue then it is navy. If you are selling it, a navy blazer is more valuable than black.

14. mainy

mainy Senior member

So uh... people that know old Levi's... what are these if anything? Sadly back tag is gone. Another weird thing, there are no rear rivets, they are just sewn through. Selvage is white line, there are no tags whatsoever on the inside. Levi's written on both sides of the back red tag. $7.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I am definitely no expert, but those look like the real deal, vintage big E Levis to me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  16. troika

troika Senior member

Those look real and not like repros. They are def selvedge but they don't have selvedge stitching. They look to be authentically vintage too, not repros or fake. #2 on the buttons so pre 70s

Can you take some pics of the care tag if they have one?
    Also use this to finish dating them: http://www.levisguide.com

17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Jpress = hundos and hundos son.

+1 - and nice tie haul especially nat!

18. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

I think one of my favorite graphic novels is gotham by gaslight which I think I mentioned on the thread earlier, I will check both og those recommendations out. Any anime fans up in here?

edit: sorry I will stop derailing the thread

19. Jhors2

Jhors2 Senior member

I used to be huge into Naruto, and Cowboy Bebop, good times.

20. mainy

mainy Senior member

Ok cool. The top button on the pants has 8 printed on the back, not 2 :( So I guess these are from the 70s and probably not worht that much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.