Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

[​IMG]

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

added everett464's etsy store to eBay spreadsheet.

Occurs to me that Etsy stores should be on the list.

Anyone here who has an etsy store PM me and I will add.

Thanks

3. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Hey - Thanks! (I suddenly feel pressure to add Hermes, and remove all Christian Dior - Oh God - Deep Breaths)

seriously though, I appreciate it. I have always said I will do SF discounts if there is a way to add that.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

4. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

mexicutioner points out that if a seller on our spreadsheet offers a discount to thrifty thread members, it should be on the spreadsheet. I agree.

PM me your special deals you give us and I'll duly note it.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I totally forgot how much I enjoy reading everett464's creative item descriptions too.
    If you guys get a chance to check them out...do it.

6. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

I just got an adjustable torso mannequin, with fabric-covered torso and wooden top, at Marshalls for $39.99. Haven't taken pics yet, but seems quite decent.

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

8. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Found a Sea Foam green, made in Switzerland Hermes, half price day, but left behind:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Non clothing find, a Roomba, iRobot sweeper, 1/2 price:

[​IMG]

The charger wasn't with it, but it was on Sat and it had just been rolled out, went back this a.m. and gave the clerk a printout of what the charger looks like and she is going to look and call me back if she finds it. Edit Anybody have a charger let me know. The nice young girl from GW called me back about an hour after I posted this and said she found both the charger and docking station in another bin (replacement cost on Roomba is $50 for each one) SCORE!!! Can you tip GW workers?

A few hundred posts ago someone mentioned Countess Mara ties, which I see quite often but just pass by, but found a pre owned in new condition 100% cashmere sport coat in black, by Countess Mara for Goldwaters Department store here in AZ. They were the Nordstroms of AZ before they merged with Robinsons/May in 1986, so this has to be at least 25 years old but really looks brand new. Don't like the buttons so would like to change out for something else, figure to use a similiar shaft style button for easier attatchment, any suggestions for a black cashmere SC, button wise?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Found a nice navy blue T.M Lewin grenadine(ish?), keeper:

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

As Regg said, a few members responded and gave him some pointers, maybe a thrifting for dummies bullet point spreadsheet/list should be made? Since Brianpore is the king of spreadsheets, we could all PM him our pointers and he could put them on a spreadsheet that could be sent to those that ask the question/s as Regg did.

[​IMG]

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I kinda like these in a hipster-retro way. But sometimes I'm off the charts weird compared to our compadres here, and Vox would probably burn the contents of my closet.

11. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I saw that, but my objection was that it got pretty nasty pretty quickly from there. Honestly, the reply "go read for 50 hours", whether true or not, comes off as incredibly curt and dismissive to someone who doesn't know any better. Honestly, I just assume most people will immediately reply asking if there's "another way" when faced with such a daunting assignment. Even a simple "no, really, that's the only way. It's that or nothing" would pretty much end the discussion (even though I don't believe it to be true, and do think there are lots of other shortcuts to learning how to thrift efficiently). He was lame for getting defensive, but I just generally don't advocate being nasty to anyone, even if they are being a bit of a shithead.

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Thrift fit pic. So you know how some Native American tribes have a "rain dance", well this is my attempt at a "Spring dance" to appease the Spring gods and help get rid of some of this shit weather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jacket: Silverstone - Loro Piana fabric (some Canadian brand I've never heard of but like the fit. And it's LP fabric, so it's got to be decent stuff)
    Shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt. Hard to see, but it's a light blue POW with a faint yellow large overcheck.
    Pants: PRL. My coworker described these as "creamsickle" color, which is probably the most accurate description possible. (Might bring these out a bit to get more of a break. Not sure yet)
    Shoes: Allen Edmonds "Orleans" white suede bucks (first wear [​IMG])

Everything thrifted, but the shoes which I picked up pretty cheap on ebay.

15. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

The PTO guide is a great start. As others have said, though, skimming through the thread is a big help; being able to see images of sought after items people have posted is invaluable. All the advice about knowing what fits you is spot on. It's not enough to know your dress shirt, pant, or suit size; you really know what fits you. There are a number of good posts on PTO about fit (e.g. pants, suit) and what can be altered by a tailor (for those things that don't fit, but are close enough). Start by thrifting for yourself (but, as others have said, don't buy everything that fits you, be selective or you'll end up with a load of clothes that you will donate back to the thrift after a year). The more you hit the racks, the more experience you will have, and the quicker you will be; you'll soon be able to spot quality by looking and touching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.