• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

LooknGr8

Reaction score
added everett464's etsy store to eBay spreadsheet.

Occurs to me that Etsy stores should be on the list.

Anyone here who has an etsy store PM me and I will add.

Thanks

Everett464

Reaction score
Hey - Thanks! (I suddenly feel pressure to add Hermes, and remove all Christian Dior - Oh God - Deep Breaths)

seriously though, I appreciate it. I have always said I will do SF discounts if there is a way to add that.

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score
mexicutioner points out that if a seller on our spreadsheet offers a discount to thrifty thread members, it should be on the spreadsheet. I agree.

PM me your special deals you give us and I'll duly note it.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Occurs to me that Etsy stores should be on the list.
Anyone here who has an etsy store PM me and I will add.
Thanks

I totally forgot how much I enjoy reading everett464's creative item descriptions too.
If you guys get a chance to check them out...do it.

Last edited:

Xenos

Reaction score

PSA: I came across a bunch of mannequins, torsos, heads, feet and such at a local antique mall. I didn't have much time to look at them or at the prices. I will try to make it back in this week to check them out and get photos and deets. I assume they will not be at thrifting prices, as many of them appeared to be vintage.

I just got an adjustable torso mannequin, with fabric-covered torso and wooden top, at Marshalls for $39.99. Haven't taken pics yet, but seems quite decent.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: God forbid someone ask for help or advice. I could read the entire thread and if it's all just made up of what people have found I wouldn't be in a better position at all. You don't think I've looked through a bunch of the thread already?

If there are no rough tips, why not just say so? I was hoping someone could say "look for this fabric, or look for this size, look for this style." Was that too much to ask? That or a suggestion to go read another thread or website or a certain page in the 2200 page thread.

EDIT:

Just made it to this comment:

Yes, why are you responding?
This is comedic. Less finds for veteran members, lmao. I asked a simple question and got obnoxious responses. I questioned those responses and people responded with the same garbage. Now obnoxious people are posting obnoxiously calling me obnoxious for responding to obnoxious posts. You guys slay me.
I had a couple people pm me with very simple and very useful information, and I thank them. They proved the obvious that there was some basic advice that could be given instead of the old "read the thread you lazy noob" bullshit.
You guys don't want to help, that's fine. You guys are all above me, cool

While it doesn't change what I said above and still believe it to be applicable, to OP: stop being butthurt, bro. People yelled at you on the internet (possibly unjustifiably). I'm fairly certain that isn't the first time that's happened on the internet.

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score
Found a Sea Foam green, made in Switzerland Hermes, half price day, but left behind:

Non clothing find, a Roomba, iRobot sweeper, 1/2 price:

The charger wasn't with it, but it was on Sat and it had just been rolled out, went back this a.m. and gave the clerk a printout of what the charger looks like and she is going to look and call me back if she finds it. Edit Anybody have a charger let me know. The nice young girl from GW called me back about an hour after I posted this and said she found both the charger and docking station in another bin (replacement cost on Roomba is $50 for each one) SCORE!!! Can you tip GW workers?

A few hundred posts ago someone mentioned Countess Mara ties, which I see quite often but just pass by, but found a pre owned in new condition 100% cashmere sport coat in black, by Countess Mara for Goldwaters Department store here in AZ. They were the Nordstroms of AZ before they merged with Robinsons/May in 1986, so this has to be at least 25 years old but really looks brand new. Don't like the buttons so would like to change out for something else, figure to use a similiar shaft style button for easier attatchment, any suggestions for a black cashmere SC, button wise?

Found a nice navy blue T.M Lewin grenadine(ish?), keeper:

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score
I actually agree. I think some people are way too hard on the noobs here.

As Regg said, a few members responded and gave him some pointers, maybe a thrifting for dummies bullet point spreadsheet/list should be made? Since Brianpore is the king of spreadsheets, we could all PM him our pointers and he could put them on a spreadsheet that could be sent to those that ask the question/s as Regg did.

nest.gif

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

I kinda like these in a hipster-retro way. But sometimes I'm off the charts weird compared to our compadres here, and Vox would probably burn the contents of my closet.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I actually agree. I think some people are way too hard on the noobs here. Yes, it's annoying to see the same question posted several times, but one has to keep in mind that it's not the same person posting it over and over again. "A noob is born every minute" - it's not self-evident by looking at page 1, or page 40, or page 400 that the best way to learn from this thread is from reading it from start to finish, so it's unfair to assume that every rando who strolls across this thread should intuitively know that.

Everyone was a noob at one time. Be nice to them.

Quote:
God forbid someone ask for help or advice. I could read the entire thread and if it's all just made up of what people have found I wouldn't be in a better position at all. You don't think I've looked through a bunch of the thread already?

If there are no rough tips, why not just say so? I was hoping someone could say "look for this fabric, or look for this size, look for this style." Was that too much to ask? That or a suggestion to go read another thread or website or a certain page in the 2200 page thread.

Andro, you have to look at the first post... I was really nice to the guy. See below... He didnt like my suggestion of reading the entire thread 1st (like you just suggested yourself).
nod[1].gif

Quote:
Go to page 1, read 1 hour every night for the next 2 weeks, go thrift, come back and brag about what you thrifted
fing02[1].gif

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that, but my objection was that it got pretty nasty pretty quickly from there. Honestly, the reply "go read for 50 hours", whether true or not, comes off as incredibly curt and dismissive to someone who doesn't know any better. Honestly, I just assume most people will immediately reply asking if there's "another way" when faced with such a daunting assignment. Even a simple "no, really, that's the only way. It's that or nothing" would pretty much end the discussion (even though I don't believe it to be true, and do think there are lots of other shortcuts to learning how to thrift efficiently). He was lame for getting defensive, but I just generally don't advocate being nasty to anyone, even if they are being a bit of a shithead.

Andro, you have to look at the first post... I was really nice to the guy. See below... He didnt like my suggestion of reading the entire thread 1st (like you just suggested yourself).
nod%5B1%5D.gif

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit pic. So you know how some Native American tribes have a "rain dance", well this is my attempt at a "Spring dance" to appease the Spring gods and help get rid of some of this **** weather.

Jacket: Silverstone - Loro Piana fabric (some Canadian brand I've never heard of but like the fit. And it's LP fabric, so it's got to be decent stuff)
Shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt. Hard to see, but it's a light blue POW with a faint yellow large overcheck.
Pants: PRL. My coworker described these as "creamsickle" color, which is probably the most accurate description possible. (Might bring these out a bit to get more of a break. Not sure yet)
Shoes: Allen Edmonds "Orleans" white suede bucks (first wear
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
)

Everything thrifted, but the shoes which I picked up pretty cheap on ebay.

Last edited:

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The PTO guide is a great start. As others have said, though, skimming through the thread is a big help; being able to see images of sought after items people have posted is invaluable. All the advice about knowing what fits you is spot on. It's not enough to know your dress shirt, pant, or suit size; you really know what fits you. There are a number of good posts on PTO about fit (e.g. pants, suit) and what can be altered by a tailor (for those things that don't fit, but are close enough). Start by thrifting for yourself (but, as others have said, don't buy everything that fits you, be selective or you'll end up with a load of clothes that you will donate back to the thrift after a year). The more you hit the racks, the more experience you will have, and the quicker you will be; you'll soon be able to spot quality by looking and touching.

I wrote a three-part series on Put This On on thrifting.
It has all the info a n00b could ever need.
So just refer people to that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads