• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Can we be serious...If there's no easy advice to give I'm not sure why someone doesn't say that instead of being snarky. It wouldn't take much effort to instead give a couple sentences of advice.

Jos. A Bank makes it easy and they have good deals.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
Can we be serious, most of the stuff in the thread won't be helpful and it wouldn't be worth trying to dig through the entire thing. Not to mention I'm only asking about suits not everything else people look for. I could figure out how to pick out a suit for myself, though I don't think I saw a single size 36 in the few racks I looked through. But I figured I'd try and learn what people on here might be interested if I came across anything interesting. I'm not sure why people think that seeing other people's finds would be so helpful. I can learn to spot brands, that's easy. But for borderline brands seeing pictures someone posted isn't helpful. It doesn't tell me price/cost or if it's worth buying for someone else etc etc. If there's no easy advice to give I'm not sure why someone doesn't say that instead of being snarky. It wouldn't take much effort to instead give a couple sentences of advice.

you're not gonna get any size 36 suits from us via trade or sell ..... right BrianPore :)

hehe
stirpot.gif

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Can we be serious, most of the stuff in the thread won't be helpful and it wouldn't be worth trying to dig through the entire thing. Not to mention I'm only asking about suits not everything else people look for. I could figure out how to pick out a suit for myself, though I don't think I saw a single size 36 in the few racks I looked through. But I figured I'd try and learn what people on here might be interested if I came across anything interesting. I'm not sure why people think that seeing other people's finds would be so helpful. I can learn to spot brands, that's easy. But for borderline brands seeing pictures someone posted isn't helpful. It doesn't tell me price/cost or if it's worth buying for someone else etc etc. If there's no easy advice to give I'm not sure why someone doesn't say that instead of being snarky. It wouldn't take much effort to instead give a couple sentences of advice.

Well, my apologies for actually trying to provide advice. You seem to be on par with the rest of Styleforum, yourself.

If you've read even the last 15 pages of the thread, you already know about using the eBay app on your phone to search completed listings for a particular item. As for your other comment, do you really expect everyone here to post all the stuff they're interested in just because Stranger On The Internet asks?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Yes thanks again fellas, great advice. I think I've gotten all I need
Glad we could help. Look forward to some of you thrift finds.
thumbs-up.gif

Quote:
nest.gif
I wasnt going to even comment about the size 36 stuff. I've been thrifting for almost 2 years now and have never once found a quality suit in my size. Found one blazer, but that was only a nwot Ben Sherman which I ended up selling to use that cash for something better.

Last edited:

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... that I ended up selling to use that cash for something better.

This. For newbs looking for something specific. Get anything worthwhile (no Ben Sherman blazers please
ffffuuuu.gif
), regardless of size, post it on here, use paypal funds to buy what you want, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of repeating discussions, those who bought mannequins, where did u buy?
I know Capnwes got his Hanging Dude on eBay. I want one with a stand. I have been asking around at every thirft store I frequent and some say "no, never," and others say "check back, it's a matter of time."
But no dice so far. I think I might ask my tailor next, tomorrow, gotta pick up a couple jackets (Hey, finally, my Canali Blazer-i-fied former odd suit coat...changed buttons upon Dig's suggestion, is coming back...will post before/after pix...). He has a ton of weird sculptures and stuff in his shop, an aritst but none of his art's for sale...but he does some seriously bent things with mannequins...maybe he has an extra or knows a source.

PSA: I came across a bunch of mannequins, torsos, heads, feet and such at a local antique mall. I didn't have much time to look at them or at the prices. I will try to make it back in this week to check them out and get photos and deets. I assume they will not be at thrifting prices, as many of them appeared to be vintage.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Last edited:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In truth, you ask too much. The only way to have a real idea of what people would want it to read the thread (I haven't been doing that myself lately - just reading the last 30 or so posts whenever I have time :embar: ). While you read, you not only see what people post, you see what responses it gets, who responds :slayer: to what (learn people's tastes), and what features on otherwise beautiful suits make a bunch of folks go :brick: (usually this is being unvented). Eventually, you'll have an idea. For the most part, you're going to have to risk it.

Until then, and I'm not endorsing it, here is a thread that dealt exclusively with suits.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/140387/...l-suit-quality-list-sfwhsql/0_30#post_2476243
I'm not sure where the summary is, I think the updated version gets posted occasionally, but at least it is fewer pages, and suit specific.

Here's the other thing, read more than this thread. There are a bunch of guys on this thread who only read this thread. That is fine, but that isn't really going to expose you to what people all over SF like and want. Plenty of very active members lurk this thread, and they will PM you, often with trade offers, if you post something cool.

Now I just have to schedule my next visit to read the most recent single page of the thread so that it doesn't coincide with a weekly episode of "rip the n00b for refusing to do his assigned reading."

(This actually reminds me a lot of explaining to college freshmen why they are not going to get a B)

EDIT:
Yes thanks again fellas, great advice. I think I've gotten all I need

Geez, and after all that typing. I hope he hasn't already "dropped the class" or else it will feel familiar in that way too.

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Now I just have to schedule my next visit to read the most recent single page of the thread so that it doesn't coincide with a weekly episode of "rip the n00b for refusing to do his assigned reading."

Was just thinking, why did this n00b get harsher treatment than usual?

I kinda like how we don't abuse n00bs here fiercely as they get crushed in the greater world of SF.

I think it was because he went after Brianpore and we gots each others' backs. :fistbump:

Larson McCord

Reaction score

PSA: I came across a bunch of mannequins, torsos, heads, feet and such at a local antique mall. I didn't have much time to look at them or at the prices. I will try to make it back in this week to check them out and get photos and deets. I assume they will not be at thrifting prices, as many of them appeared to be vintage.

I got mine at an antique store, prices at those places are typically designed for bargaining so just make an offer. You likely won't find for for $5 but I got mine for around $30 after making an offer.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got mine at an antique store, prices at those places are typically designed for bargaining so just make an offer. You likely won't find for for $5 but I got mine for around $30 after making an offer.

Only problem is the booths are usually unmanned, and every thing tagged with prices on numbered tickets indicating booth owner. If not buying outright, negotiation could take a few visits and messages left. No big deal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads