The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Jos. A Bank makes it easy and they have good deals.

2. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

you're not gonna get any size 36 suits from us via trade or sell ..... right BrianPore :)

hehe [​IMG]

3. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Well, my apologies for actually trying to provide advice. You seem to be on par with the rest of Styleforum, yourself.

If you've read even the last 15 pages of the thread, you already know about using the eBay app on your phone to search completed listings for a particular item. As for your other comment, do you really expect everyone here to post all the stuff they're interested in just because Stranger On The Internet asks?

4. Regg

Regg Senior member

Yes thanks again fellas, great advice. I think I've gotten all I need

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Glad we could help. Look forward to some of you thrift finds. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

6. concealed

concealed Senior member

This. For newbs looking for something specific. Get anything worthwhile (no Ben Sherman blazers please [​IMG]), regardless of size, post it on here, use paypal funds to buy what you want, rinse, repeat.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

PSA: I came across a bunch of mannequins, torsos, heads, feet and such at a local antique mall. I didn't have much time to look at them or at the prices. I will try to make it back in this week to check them out and get photos and deets. I assume they will not be at thrifting prices, as many of them appeared to be vintage.

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

9. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

In truth, you ask too much. The only way to have a real idea of what people would want it to read the thread (I haven't been doing that myself lately - just reading the last 30 or so posts whenever I have time :embar: ). While you read, you not only see what people post, you see what responses it gets, who responds :slayer: to what (learn people's tastes), and what features on otherwise beautiful suits make a bunch of folks go :brick: (usually this is being unvented). Eventually, you'll have an idea. For the most part, you're going to have to risk it.

Until then, and I'm not endorsing it, here is a thread that dealt exclusively with suits.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/140387/...l-suit-quality-list-sfwhsql/0_30#post_2476243
    I'm not sure where the summary is, I think the updated version gets posted occasionally, but at least it is fewer pages, and suit specific.

Here's the other thing, read more than this thread. There are a bunch of guys on this thread who only read this thread. That is fine, but that isn't really going to expose you to what people all over SF like and want. Plenty of very active members lurk this thread, and they will PM you, often with trade offers, if you post something cool.

Now I just have to schedule my next visit to read the most recent single page of the thread so that it doesn't coincide with a weekly episode of "rip the n00b for refusing to do his assigned reading."

(This actually reminds me a lot of explaining to college freshmen why they are not going to get a B)

EDIT:

Geez, and after all that typing. I hope he hasn't already "dropped the class" or else it will feel familiar in that way too.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Was just thinking, why did this n00b get harsher treatment than usual?

I kinda like how we don't abuse n00bs here fiercely as they get crushed in the greater world of SF.

I think it was because he went after Brianpore and we gots each others' backs. :fistbump:

12. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

I got mine at an antique store, prices at those places are typically designed for bargaining so just make an offer. You likely won't find for for $5 but I got mine for around $30 after making an offer.

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Why was I defending Brianpore again? :D

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Only problem is the booths are usually unmanned, and every thing tagged with prices on numbered tickets indicating booth owner. If not buying outright, negotiation could take a few visits and messages left. No big deal though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.